Blackmouth fishing MA10

CodigoRojo

Sep 21, 2017
Seattle
Name
Rick
Boat
Arima 17
Thanks for the feedback guys. I do appreciate it. Dropping balls commencing immediately. I think I stopped when my old transducer went belly up so I was fishing off the chart guessing how deep it actually was. I fixed it so now no excuse. I rigged up a couple plugs for this weekend if the damn weather cooperates.

Salmon King

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Mar 29, 2013
Everett, WA, USA
Name
Tim
Boat
Salmon King 21' Custom Pilothouse
X10 regarding bouncing the bottom. Who needs a depth counter anyway! Just let it out until it hits then hit the retrieve for a second. Hard to catch Legal BM suspended.

Reactions: EJ Swanny

saltchuckmatt

Sep 21, 2014
Seattle
Name
matthew paulsen
Boat
19 ft. campion Etec lover!
Marine area 10 fish? Yes they are there...not big but legal. No food in tumtum and hardly any bait seen on the screen. Key word here "Cover Ground!" Was I on the bottom? It's Blackmouth season duh. Fish finder/depth finder is a must, stay on the contours and put in the time! (words of wisdom)

Sure is nice to get out on the boat!
blackmouth.jpg

Woodhunter

Well-Known "Member"
Jun 12, 2011
Port Angeles, WA
Name
Big John
Boat
Classic MAKO 22
At least you are getting out on the water!! Nice fish.

I will be out prowling the Green Point area east of Port Angles as soon as the new Yamaha 200 is installed. Area 6 season is not far away! Was going to have it installed this week but too much left over snow at my place (I am at 1000 feet, we got hammered) so it will be next Tuesday. Still have a foot of snow between the boat barn and the driveway. Should be up and running by the time the season opens.

Woodhunter

Well-Known "Member"
Jun 12, 2011
Port Angeles, WA
Name
Big John
Boat
Classic MAKO 22
Hey Matt, looks like the kicker is up. Are you trolling downriggers on your main Yamaha?

I am looking forward to trolling with the Yamaha 200 4 stroke. Old motor is a 200 two stroke Merc, no trolling at slow speeds for that black beast.

RecklessPursuit

Relentless Pursuit
Dec 20, 2009
Seattle
Name
John
Boat
345 OS Pursuit
IMG_0181.jpeg

Saturdays 1 Blackmouth had this fellow inside. Can anyone Identify this bait fish? Looks like a immature rock fish. 50. AMP power cord for scale.

desertfishing

Aug 1, 2011
Desert Aire
Name
SP
Boat
Marsha
I fish mostly solo, so I try not to run too close to the bottom. It's tricky enough running the boat in traffic and running the gear with one eye on the depth. For chinook I usually move about 2 mph or less gps speed, try to keep my wire at about a 20-30 degree angle. And I watch my ball on the fish finder try to keep it within 10 feet of bottom give or take. That's my reasoning for putting out a little less wire anyway. I do agree with you about avoiding shakers as a general policy. I'm definitely not targeting them intentionally. I'm out there to eat fish, not catch and release.
I fish solo a lot as well and having a bow mount electric motor with auto pilot is a GAME CHANGER! Fishing is much more relaxing and less stressful. Lakes, CR & the sound. You push the boat with the kicker and use the electric for steering.

Siv

I've posted enough I should edit this section
May 8, 2008
Normandy Park Wa
Name
Dave
Boat
19' SeaSport
Marine area 10 fish? Yes they are there...not big but legal. No food in tumtum and hardly any bait seen on the screen. Key word here "Cover Ground!" Was I on the bottom? It's Blackmouth season duh. Fish finder/depth finder is a must, stay on the contours and put in the time! (words of wisdom)

Sure is nice to get out on the boat!View attachment 1106661
Racing fish...good for you.

EJ Swanny

Three Generations of Uff-Dah
Nov 30, 2010
Redondo/WA
Name
Erik
Boat
"Riley-J" 2006 21' Proline Tourney
"That appears to be a shiner perch which is pretty unusual fare for a salmon, although they do occasionally end up in their diets. "

Yep, no doubt about that...BM have been known to frequent piers, and will even head into a marina for a look around. Their adaptable, as they spend alot of time in the sound...they have the time to snoop around...

Reactions: liltrouble

saltchuckmatt

Sep 21, 2014
Seattle
Name
matthew paulsen
Boat
19 ft. campion Etec lover!
Hey Matt, looks like the kicker is up. Are you trolling downriggers on your main Yamaha?

I am looking forward to trolling with the Yamaha 200 4 stroke. Old motor is a 200 two stroke Merc, no trolling at slow speeds for that black beast.
We started out mooching but we had no tide run-off. So trolling it was (cover ground) Your new Yamy will outperform the Merc all day long and twice on Sunday so either motor works well..... (just lazy that day)

Tight lines!

Woodhunter

Well-Known "Member"
Jun 12, 2011
Port Angeles, WA
Name
Big John
Boat
Classic MAKO 22
We started out mooching but we had no tide run-off. So trolling it was (cover ground) Your new Yamy will outperform the Merc all day long and twice on Sunday so either motor works well..... (just lazy that day)

Tight lines!
Thanks Matt. New motor comes with the command link. Change trolling speeds by pushing a button and it holds!

Yeah I am looking forward to the new Yamaha four stroke. Already have a Yamaha T9.9 mounted on the boat for mooching.

Very glad to being rid of the Merc. A real noisy PITA motor.