Black Watch 26 Owners. Worth the $'s over a Blackman or 262 Skippy?

Discussion in 'Boating Discussion' started by High Energy, Jul 22, 2013.

1. High Energy

High Energy Fisherman without a boat

Name:
    Big D
    Boat:
    High Energy
    I'm looking for a pocket battlewagon to fish local marlin (& tourney's), overnighters to Catalina and southern tuna grounds. I'm used to fishing/skippering on larger sportfishers in the 42 to 46 foot range that are setup for marlin tournament fishing. This will be my first trailerable single screw boat. My research shows that the 262 and Blackman 26's are half the price of a Black Watch. I love the look of the Black Watch, extra room in the galley seating, and the extra beam should help with the "tippiness" associated with small flybridge boats.

So the question is directed to those who made the choice between the three and why they made the choice they did. Thanks.

2. BiggestT

BiggestT I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    SM
    Boat:
    Salsipuedes & Czech Mate
    Welcome to Black Watch Boats

Says the 26 and 30 are made from molds imported from the US to Australia. They are C. Raymond Hunt designs, so it's hard to get better. By comparison, a Blackman 26 is essentially a design by a garage boat builder that's never been changed despite its flaws. I am qualified to make this statement as I own a Blackman 20 as well as a C. Raymond Hunt designed Conch 27 built by Edey & Duff. The Conch 27 is a very sought after boat to this day due to it's incredible ride.

Just haven't seen many BlackWatch 26s. I know Bob Hoose of Berkley Pure Fishing owns or is a co-owner of a BlackWatch 26 and fishes marlin with it.

3. 2strokepoke

2strokepoke nimrod

Name:
    danny
    Boat:
    dammit danny! 26' skipjack flybridge
    There is a black watch in HH dry storage next to my skipjack. I haven't met the owner yet, but it looks nice, a slightly bigger version of what I have. I stand behind the skippy. Tried and true.

4. Tues

Tues Not my job...

Name:
    Penis
    Nice avatar. Just say'n.

:D

5. Reel 007

Reel 007 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Leon
    Boat:
    28 Wellcraft Coastal "vagabond'
    Never owned a Skipjack 262, fished a 26' Blackman flybridge for years, crawled all over a Black Watch 26 Flybridge a few years back.
    Both the Skipjack and Blackman are nice riding boats in my opinion, both are a bit tippy at rest, flybridge with inclosure up and 8'6" beam will do that, the Black Watch 26 with 10' beam is impressive and should be more stable at rest.
    Is it worth the extra coins??????????, if I had to make that choice the Black Watch would be my preference, if I ended up with one of the other, it would be because I made a financial compromise.

Good Luck.

6. Bounty

Bounty Captain

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    Black Watch 26
    I love mine.
    There's a 262 Skippy slipped next to me in HH. So it's easy to compare them. While they're similarly sized by the numbers, the Blackwatch is actually a much bigger boat. The 9'- 9" beam is a big part of that, but it also is higher off the water at the bridge. Making for better visibility while paddy hopping. I spend two to three days at a time over at Catalina with my wife and dog. Certainly big enough for that.
    The Skipjack gets better fuel economy though. The Blackwatch is much heavier. But I don't ever pound in the chop. A very good riding boat.
    I was looking for a Skipjack 262 when I found my Blackwatch six years ago. The money difference was worth it for me.

7. Honda Dude

Honda Dude Newbie

Name:
    Eric Peterson
    Boat:
    26' Blackwatch
    I owned a 26 Blackwatch for over 12 years. It was a 1986, which was made here in the States. Don't know if that makes it better or worse than the AU made boats. Awesome fishing machine.

8. Derby

Derby My "Member" is Well Known.

Name:
    The Kid
    Boat:
    Aquasport 222 FFV

That my friend is F'n funny!!!!!