Offshore Black Pearl Moro Bay 14 hour trip

azbaseball

Apr 2, 2007
la mesa ca
Name
mike de vito
Boat
20ft nitro
Hey folks returned from a 14 hour KJ mag12 sponsored trip on the black pearl. What an day no wind no swells and flat out great rock cod fishing. We all lineup at the dock and wait for Lisa to let us on board. With the Covid rules you put you carryon bag, no roller bags allowed, on the deck and go to the location you want to fish. Me I choose Lucky 13 every trip. Starboard bow. I do not bait fish and throw jigs all day so I only go to the stern to hit the head or go to the galley. We leave the dock at 0500 and head north. once we leave the harbor it time for breakfast. I ordered the boat breakfast burrito. Not disappointed by any means. This thing had to weight over a pound easy. Eggs, bacon, cheese, tritip, onions, potatoes. I was not going to let it go to waste. After I finish this thing it was time for the two hour recovery nap. Lisa has the bunk rooms open for your use. At 0800 we start to tie up our rigs. Since KJ sponsored the trip I used the 8 oz orange and pink MAG12 jig and a red crab 1 oz teaser. that was my go to all day. The first stop was in 325 feet. The pick was slow. I got 2 reds and 2 large Johnny bass in the 45 minute pick. The teaser caught the Johnny Bass and the mag 12 caught the reds. On the the next stop. up the coast another 30 minutes in 360 ft. First drop double Chuckle heads about 3 pounds each. Nice as the drift continues everyone is pulling nice fish. One lucky angler (pool winner0 caught a 3 pound red with a 18 pound ling trying to eat it. Nice fish for sure. About 5 minutes later I toss out the rig and before it hit the bottom my line was moving sideways. Set the hook and the fight was on. The mag 12 8oz caught a prized 15 pound ling. Nice to see the lings in the area. we took a total of 4 lings between 12 and 18 pounds. As the bite slowed we moved in shallow (180 ft) and were looking for more lings but what we found was hungery jumbo reds. Doubles coming over the rail. I finished by limit of 5 reds up to 6 pounds and 3 chucklehead 3-4 pounders, two Johnny bass and the ling. Lisa calls my name and it is time for lunch. The crew comes around about 1100 and asks everyone if they would like lunch. So me why not I ordered the burger. Well it was not just the burger it was the Black Pearl Curse burger as if you finish it you either fall asleep for lack of blood in your brain as your body tries to digest this monster or you just have a heart attack. 1/2 pound slab of fresh burger meat, on a toasted bun, Lettuce, tomatoes, fired onions, chesse, peppers and bacon and more bacon and one more piece of bacon. You hear the stories of boat burgers well this one is right up there with the best. Well I lived. Back to the rail as this is a 14 hour trip we are not heading back till about 1500. I continue to bail the reds and chuckleheads. I fill several bags with the extras and we are all having a blast. Just so you understand the law is that you can only keep your limit but you can help finish off the boat limits. On the Black pearl the crew is on top of your fish counts. Your sack has a red tag and they mark your catch as it goes into your sack. Once you fill your limit they close your sack. There is no wasting of fish. You do not upgrade and throw the dead fish back into the ocean. I like it. Yes I could have upgraded a chuckle head or two but instead it went into another sack to help them reach their limits. About 1400 we have boat limits of rock cod and go shallow to target Lings or white fish. the white fish were no where to be found. We landed a couple of more short lings and called it a day. Some went into the bunk room and slept for the 3.5 hour return boat ride. Me I was in the galley laughing and listening to Lisa trash talk KJ. It was all in good fun. On the way in the crew cleaned your fish and the boat. Once at the dock we got off the boat and put our gear in our cars. We came back to the boat and your fish were ready for pick up, The crew did a great job keeping you out of tangles, gaffing your fish, helping with bait selection, keeping it enjoyable. Lisa was in the kitchen most of the day except when she heard about the lings coming over the rail she came out with her camera to document it all. Another trip in the books. Once they open this state up hopefully we can get back to the 1.5 day trips on the pearl. Cheers

black pearl ing cod 6-21.jpg

black pearl ling cod 6-21.jpg

100_0171.JPG

100_0177.JPG

194792118_2954577054822685_7126320503142041716_n.jpg

195265237_2954577194822671_6842817372914050623_n.jpg

Chuck Roast

Jul 16, 2012
LA CA USA
Name
Chuck Roast
Boat
20' Skip
Thanks for detailed report. Sounds like a really great trip, as well as a wonderful operation. And real quality rockfish too!
Think I have to do that trip too!

Reactions: azbaseball
Upvote 0

mhanson59hb

Fear No Fish
  • Apr 22, 2013
    Huntington Beach
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    2008 Trophy 1802 "Mako My Day"
    Nice report and monster lings.

Do they really make you fish from the same spot at the rail all day? What if you hook something that takes you around the boat a few times? Or you are on the wrong side of the boat for a drift?

Upvote 0

dsl

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Nov 20, 2017
    California
    Name
    Larry S
    Boat
    Landlover
    Hey folks returned from a 14 hour KJ mag12 sponsored trip on the black pearl. What an day no wind no swells and flat out great rock cod fishing. We all lineup at the dock and wait for Lisa to let us on board. With the Covid rules you put you carryon bag, no roller bags allowed, on the deck and go to the location you want to fish. Me I choose Lucky 13 every trip. Starboard bow. I do not bait fish and throw jigs all day so I only go to the stern to hit the head or go to the galley. We leave the dock at 0500 and head north. once we leave the harbor it time for breakfast. I ordered the boat breakfast burrito. Not disappointed by any means. This thing had to weight over a pound easy. Eggs, bacon, cheese, tritip, onions, potatoes. I was not going to let it go to waste. After I finish this thing it was time for the two hour recovery nap. Lisa has the bunk rooms open for your use. At 0800 we start to tie up our rigs. Since KJ sponsored the trip I used the 8 oz orange and pink MAG12 jig and a red crab 1 oz teaser. that was my go to all day. The first stop was in 325 feet. The pick was slow. I got 2 reds and 2 large Johnny bass in the 45 minute pick. The teaser caught the Johnny Bass and the mag 12 caught the reds. On the the next stop. up the coast another 30 minutes in 360 ft. First drop double Chuckle heads about 3 pounds each. Nice as the drift continues everyone is pulling nice fish. One lucky angler (pool winner0 caught a 3 pound red with a 18 pound ling trying to eat it. Nice fish for sure. About 5 minutes later I toss out the rig and before it hit the bottom my line was moving sideways. Set the hook and the fight was on. The mag 12 8oz caught a prized 15 pound ling. Nice to see the lings in the area. we took a total of 4 lings between 12 and 18 pounds. As the bite slowed we moved in shallow (180 ft) and were looking for more lings but what we found was hungery jumbo reds. Doubles coming over the rail. I finished by limit of 5 reds up to 6 pounds and 3 chucklehead 3-4 pounders, two Johnny bass and the ling. Lisa calls my name and it is time for lunch. The crew comes around about 1100 and asks everyone if they would like lunch. So me why not I ordered the burger. Well it was not just the burger it was the Black Pearl Curse burger as if you finish it you either fall asleep for lack of blood in your brain as your body tries to digest this monster or you just have a heart attack. 1/2 pound slab of fresh burger meat, on a toasted bun, Lettuce, tomatoes, fired onions, chesse, peppers and bacon and more bacon and one more piece of bacon. You hear the stories of boat burgers well this one is right up there with the best. Well I lived. Back to the rail as this is a 14 hour trip we are not heading back till about 1500. I continue to bail the reds and chuckleheads. I fill several bags with the extras and we are all having a blast. Just so you understand the law is that you can only keep your limit but you can help finish off the boat limits. On the Black pearl the crew is on top of your fish counts. Your sack has a red tag and they mark your catch as it goes into your sack. Once you fill your limit they close your sack. There is no wasting of fish. You do not upgrade and throw the dead fish back into the ocean. I like it. Yes I could have upgraded a chuckle head or two but instead it went into another sack to help them reach their limits. About 1400 we have boat limits of rock cod and go shallow to target Lings or white fish. the white fish were no where to be found. We landed a couple of more short lings and called it a day. Some went into the bunk room and slept for the 3.5 hour return boat ride. Me I was in the galley laughing and listening to Lisa trash talk KJ. It was all in good fun. On the way in the crew cleaned your fish and the boat. Once at the dock we got off the boat and put our gear in our cars. We came back to the boat and your fish were ready for pick up, The crew did a great job keeping you out of tangles, gaffing your fish, helping with bait selection, keeping it enjoyable. Lisa was in the kitchen most of the day except when she heard about the lings coming over the rail she came out with her camera to document it all. Another trip in the books. Once they open this state up hopefully we can get back to the 1.5 day trips on the pearl. Cheers

View attachment 1287198

View attachment 1287199

View attachment 1287200

View attachment 1287201

View attachment 1287204

View attachment 1287205
    Nice pick of the hitchhiker.

Upvote 0