makairaa

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
May 1, 2005
Tustin CA
Name
Philip Hunkins
Boat
17 starcraft
Yes Black Marlin !!!. I was out to weeks ago and had this guy hanging with us for over 30 minutes all lit up.

Not the best video or picture but I sent it to my buddy that is fishing the Bisbee now. He has also won it before!. He knows Marlins. He said yes a black marlin. In the wrong neighborhood !

Tell your kids you hooked a black marlin. One of only an elite group in these waters.

We were at the time in the 425 area.

View attachment 877849 View attachment 877850 View attachment 877851
Except looking at the shape of the pectoral fins and the alignment of the 2nd dorsal and 2nd anal fins I would say that is a very nice blue marlin.

Upvote 0

c-goat

HELL BENT FOR FEATHER
May 4, 2004
santee ca.
Name
Bill
Boat
08 DEFIANCE 220 ex Sheri-Moon
Its hard to say.
2 months ago my buddy hooked an estimated 125 lber plus striper off a paddy we were getting dorado on.We chased it for about a mile... a couple good jumps...pretty exciting.It was on 20lb test.

Upvote 0

Reel hip

Meet my "Well known Member"
  • Feb 19, 2008
    San Diego
    Name
    Doug
    Boat
    25ft Skipjack fly
    Except looking at the shape of the pectoral fins and the alignment of the 2nd dorsal and 2nd anal fins I would say that is a very nice blue marlin.

Don't cramp his buzz man. It's a solid story. Lol LOL

Upvote 0

BiggestT

Sep 8, 2004
    Fullerton
    Name
    SM
    Boat
    Salsipuedes & Czech Mate
    Interesting, so there’s still a chance...
    The reason I’m thinking black is that I’ve caught and seen stripes and this one just looked different. Back was solid black/dark blue and body was solid silver, and it was way thicker than any stripes I’ve seen local

No chance. As I noted above, the elongated lower jaw is the telling feature of a stripe marlin: I only posts the story of the purports day black marlin catch to illustrate how people get it wrong. ID based on coloring is probably the weakest method available because there are all sorts of color variation physical morphological features should be the focus and I say that with a plural emphasis. Example being most guys would try to ID a stripe based on height of dorsal fin. I’d ask relative to what? And that relatives changes with the size of the fiah. Elongated jaw never really changes. Color? Heck, there are plenty of blues that come in looking like a stripes, but if you ever looked closely at the scales of a blue vs a stripe, there’s a clear difference.

Upvote 0

BiggestT

Sep 8, 2004
    Fullerton
    Name
    SM
    Boat
    Salsipuedes & Czech Mate
    The attached is a photo of a black marlin. Compare the length of the lower jaw to that of the one you had hooked up and the answer is obvious: the one that got away on you was not a black.

7E8644BF-B9D9-40F7-A357-8B22D366B15B.jpeg

Upvote 0

sdjfish

Deck Ape
  • Mar 26, 2003
    escondido
    Visit site
    Name
    steve
    Boat
    2320 Parker, Tracker
    In my view your picture shows enough details to indicate its not a blue or black. Hooking a local striped marlin is an accomplishment most anglers are still looking for. Good job.

Reactions: Blackfish
    Upvote 0

Blackfish

Marble collector.
    Sep 20, 2005
    My Backyard
    Name
    Boat
    toy
    1391401_b876ecd7162d8753a2475f2728e17a32_thumb.jpg

upload_2017-10-31_8-32-56.png

In my view your picture shows enough details to indicate its not a blue or black. Hooking a local striped marlin is an accomplishment most anglers are still looking for. Good job.

and that is a very NICE stripey!!!!!!

Upvote 0

BiggestT

Sep 8, 2004
    Fullerton
    Name
    SM
    Boat
    Salsipuedes & Czech Mate
    Yes Black Marlin !!!. I was out to weeks ago and had this guy hanging with us for over 30 minutes all lit up.

Not the best video or picture but I sent it to my buddy that is fishing the Bisbee now. He has also won it before!. He knows Marlins. He said yes a black marlin. In the wrong neighborhood !

Tell your kids you hooked a black marlin. One of only an elite group in these waters.

We were at the time in the 425 area.

View attachment 877849 View attachment 877850 View attachment 877851

“Sent it to my buddy fishing the Bieber. He knows Marlins. He said it was a black.”

Very poor stills from video, but just based on the height of that dorsal fun and the lit up coloring and downward positioning of the pectoral fins, that’s definitely not a black. Then the discussion would shift to blue vs stripe. Again the poor quality of the stills does not allow a good view of the length of the lower jaw and the length of the "frill" under the chin, but one photo appears to show the 2nd dorsal fin to be positioned (slightly) behind the anal fin which is a diagnostic feature for a blue.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

Latest posts