Waterman
Apr 28, 2006
San Diego
Name
Chris
Boat
Paddle board
007B4726-830E-4840-A726-445C518E2A48.jpeg
Hooked and lost this guy at the boat near the 371 today, of course on a jet head fishing for tuna. My initial thought was stripe, but now looking at pics and considering the thickness of him, I’m thinking black now...thoughts?? He was at deep color when he spit the hook so didn’t get a good up close look

Reactions: Zika and Worthy
Upvote 0

marlyn

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • Dec 18, 2005
    So Cal
    Name
    mark
    Boat
    21' skiff and 12' portabote recycled from milk jugs
    Damn that is a nice fish!!

Upvote 0

ssrmr2

Mar 15, 2006
    OC
    Name
    Steve
    Boat
    17' montauk "Anger Management"
    “Spit the hook”

Never quite understood that saying

Upvote 0

BiggestT

Sep 8, 2004
    Fullerton
    Name
    SM
    Boat
    Salsipuedes & Czech Mate
    Thanks to all you marlin experts, I was hoping to have a great story to pass down to my grandkids about how I hooked black marlin in local waters...my future grandkids hate you

There was someone in our Dana Angling Club who insisted that a blue he caught during the El Nino was a black. All based on "rigid pectoral fins". The rest of the morphology said blue. This was posted all over JD's fish reports. They sent in samples for DNA testing. I sent the photos to Julian Pepperell Phd, a renowned marine biologist from Australia and the foremost biologist on Indo Pacific billfish. He went through the morphological indicators like a pro and said 98% confidence that it was a blue. The rigid pects were not of a black marlin and the rigidity was due to rigor mortis, which is common. Still, the Club members insisted it was a black. Funny thing, they never publicly reported the results from the DNA test. When asked over a year later, the Club President told me the results came back Blue. Even funnier, good friend is a biologist for the IATTC at the Southwest Fisheries Center in LJ and his friend did the DNA work. I never followed up on that, but it was recently volunteered to me by him that it was a Blue.:D

During that El Nino, there were some prominent anglers posting that stripes were blues, blues were black. Many were wrong. Very surprising how little these so called top drawer anglers knew about fish ID.

Carry on.

Upvote 0

copper7

Waterman
    Apr 28, 2006
    San Diego
    Name
    Chris
    Boat
    Paddle board
    There was someone in our Dana Angling Club who insisted that a blue he caught during the El Nino was a black. All based on "rigid pectoral fins". The rest of the morphology said blue. This was posted all over JD's fish reports. They sent in samples for DNA testing. I sent the photos to Julian Pepperell Phd, a renowned marine biologist from Australia and the foremost biologist on Indo Pacific billfish. He went through the morphological indicators like a pro and said 98% confidence that it was a blue. The rigid pects were not of a black marlin and the rigidity was due to rigor mortis, which is common. Still, the Club members insisted it was a black. Funny thing, they never publicly reported the results from the DNA test. When asked over a year later, the Club President told me the results came back Blue. Even funnier, good friend is a biologist for the IATTC at the Southwest Fisheries Center in LJ and his friend did the DNA work. I never followed up on that, but it was recently volunteered to me by him that it was a Blue.:D

During that El Nino, there were some prominent anglers posting that stripes were blues, blues were black. Many were wrong. Very surprising how little these so called top drawer anglers knew about fish ID.

Carry on.

Interesting, so there’s still a chance...
    The reason I’m thinking black is that I’ve caught and seen stripes and this one just looked different. Back was solid black/dark blue and body was solid silver, and it was way thicker than any stripes I’ve seen local

Upvote 0

?? fisherman

super Captain
    Feb 27, 2003
    Soul Cal
    www.sandiegofishing.com
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    Kencraft CC
    Hey Chris, I have a question....... was this pic taken right after the fish was hooked? Was it a bait fish?

When I just made the picture larger, there is something showing right to the left of the tip of the marlins bill and in the background of your fish....... it almost looks very much like a tailer??

The unknown fisherman:p:

Upvote 0

af dreamer

Apr 16, 2007
    long beach,ca
    Name
    tom
    Boat
    44 luhrs dreamer
    I have never seen a confirmed black on a rod and reel above the boarder.There have been blacks caught in gill nets and Elmer stuck one years ago.They do show in our waters.Tom

Reactions: copper7
    Upvote 0

Reel hip

Meet my "Well known Member"
    Feb 19, 2008
    San Diego
    Name
    Doug
    Boat
    25ft Skipjack fly
    Yes Black Marlin !!!. I was out to weeks ago and had this guy hanging with us for over 30 minutes all lit up.

Not the best video or picture but I sent it to my buddy that is fishing the Bisbee now. He has also won it before!. He knows Marlins. He said yes a black marlin. In the wrong neighborhood !

Tell your kids you hooked a black marlin. One of only an elite group in these waters.

We were at the time in the 425 area.

20171015_195947.jpg 20171015_195918.jpg 20171015_195820.jpg

Upvote 0

copper7

Waterman
    Apr 28, 2006
    San Diego
    Name
    Chris
    Boat
    Paddle board
    Yes Black Marlin !!!. I was out to weeks ago and had this guy hanging with us for over 30 minutes all lit up.

Not the best video or picture but I sent it to my buddy that is fishing the Bisbee now. He has also won it before!. He knows Marlins. He said yes a black marlin. In the wrong neighborhood !

Tell your kids you hooked a black marlin. One of only an elite group in these waters.

We were at the time in the 425 area.

View attachment 877849 View attachment 877850 View attachment 877851

That’s awesome! I have hope now!! My fish story is growing!

Upvote 0

copper7

Waterman
    Apr 28, 2006
    San Diego
    Name
    Chris
    Boat
    Paddle board
    Hey Chris, I have a question....... was this pic taken right after the fish was hooked? Was it a bait fish?

When I just made the picture larger, there is something showing right to the left of the tip of the marlins bill and in the background of your fish....... it almost looks very much like a tailer??

The unknown fisherman:p:

It ate a zucchini jet on the troll, I saw that too, it might be the jet flopping around

Reactions: ?? fisherman
    Upvote 0

ssrmr2

Mar 15, 2006
    OC
    Name
    Steve
    Boat
    17' montauk "Anger Management"
    Yeah he stuck his tongue out and everything. Actually it bent one of double hooks when it changed direction from bow to port side, it literally just fell out

Nice didn’t need an explanation. It just brought back memories of my RR3 days.

Upvote 0