The American Tackle Company

RWP

Mar 31, 2021
VB
Name
Ryan
Boat
Kayak
A friend of mine is looking for a moderate-ish action rod for his mother. Something short and light for small grouper mostly. She's 5'2 and struggles with larger and heavier rods. Shes fishing in the gulf, 80-120 miles out and uses 5 to 8 oz sinkers with live sardines, just drifting around bouncing off bottom.

This isn't my area of expertise at all, but I told him I would wrap a rod if we could find a blank. The 661H is rated for 3-12oz jigs and this is the description:

If you are looking for a light jigging rod for fluke, seabass, amberjack, grouper, yellowtail, and up to small size tuna, then this will be a great choice.
We landed up to 80lb Amberjack and 100lb Yellowfin Tuna.
You can use this with a heavy jig or live bait. One of our popular rods.

The reel she uses is a Diawa Sealine 17LC, I was planning on a size 16 stripper guide and spiral wrapped 8's to the tip, maybe with a size 10 if needed after the stripper.

She doesn't want a trigger on the reel seat, so I was leaning towards a standard fuji in size 17. Split grip EVA and a small foregrip, with a rubber butt cap.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. We are not dead set on this blank, but it seems like it would work well.

azbaseball

Apr 2, 2007
la mesa ca
Name
mike de vito
Boat
20ft nitro
if she is fishing bait why a SPJ blank go with a normal fast tip and MH ratings something i the 6'6" to 7' length. The longer rods on the gulf long range is because of the height off the water of the bow. If she fishes mid ship or stern she can get away without the long rod. If you watch the videos you see that they are hanging over the rail trying to keep the tuna and Wahoo or Macks away from rubbing on the keel. If just bottom fishing she should not have the issue the fast tip for the feel of the bit the MH for back bone oh also include a rail plate. Cheers

RWP

Mar 31, 2021
VB
Name
Ryan
Boat
Kayak
if she is fishing bait why a SPJ blank go with a normal fast tip and MH ratings something i the 6'6" to 7' length. The longer rods on the gulf long range is because of the height off the water of the bow. If she fishes mid ship or stern she can get away without the long rod. If you watch the videos you see that they are hanging over the rail trying to keep the tuna and Wahoo or Macks away from rubbing on the keel. If just bottom fishing she should not have the issue the fast tip for the feel of the bit the MH for back bone oh also include a rail plate. Cheers
Thanks az. To answer the question of "why", only because it's specifically what was asked for (moderate action and short, originally a 6' rod was requested).

I asked what she was using now, and the only info that he had was an old fiberglass rod.

Like I said, I have zero experience in this style of fishing, so I can't offer them any meaningful advice. From the reading I have done, it seems that most people recommend a blank similar to what you recommend, but I can't get him to sway from the moderate action.

I want to build it as he requested, but at the same time I'd rather not build something that's going to perform poorly.

The majority of the fish are probably under 20lbs and I'm sure she runs a light drag.

Pacific Jigger

You’ll never know unless you go
Sep 16, 2019
United States
Name
Bud
Boat
Formula 233
In my opinion, a number of the standard 5 to 6’ knife or speed jigging blanks would work perfectly for your friends mother. I have a five year old daughter that fishes lingcod and tuna with a rod on this type of blank. She can’t use a regular fast action blank, she’s simply not strong enough. With her parabolic jigging rod, she’ll land a 30lb tuna with no assistance. By far, the easiest type of blank for smaller and older people to really pull on fish, bigger people too. I use jigging blanks for quite a few things in addition to jigging and they work far better than you’d expect. Very, very versatile.

Reactions: nefarious235

Pacific Jigger

Sep 16, 2019
United States
Name
Bud
Boat
Formula 233
United Composites Zeus 2, Rainshadow RCKJB 600-165, or the Black Hole Cape Cod Special 150grm blank. If she’s fishing really light drags, you may want to drop to the Zeus 1, the Rainshadow 112, or the Black Hole 80grm blanks. It would really help to know the most common weight she’s using and how heavy of line she’s fishing.

Pacific Jigger

Sep 16, 2019
United States
Name
Bud
Boat
Formula 233
The most important part of the build will be butt length. You should take the blank and mock up a moveable reel seat and make sure the butt length fits her stature and fishing style. You’ll want the heavier blanks that I listed above.

Reactions: RWP

RWP

Mar 31, 2021
VB
Name
Ryan
Boat
Kayak
The most important part of the build will be butt length. You should take the blank and mock up a moveable reel seat and make sure the butt length fits her stature and fishing style. You’ll want the heavier blanks that I listed above.
They supplied the butt length of 14", unfortunately she lives 1000 miles from me, so I can't really get it to her to test it out before hand.

We decided to go with the CRB 50# blank in a 6'6". It was inexpensive enough to put together for her to fish it. If everything falls together and she likes it, great. If not, we can try again with some changes or a different blank.

Reactions: Pacific Jigger

Almud

Jan 3, 2015
Name
Almud
Boat
Wish I Had One
A friend of mine is looking for a moderate-ish action rod for his mother. Something short and light for small grouper mostly. She's 5'2 and struggles with larger and heavier rods. Shes fishing in the gulf, 80-120 miles out and uses 5 to 8 oz sinkers with live sardines, just drifting around bouncing off bottom.

This isn't my area of expertise at all, but I told him I would wrap a rod if we could find a blank. The 661H is rated for 3-12oz jigs and this is the description:

The reel she uses is a Diawa Sealine 17LC, I was planning on a size 16 stripper guide and spiral wrapped 8's to the tip, maybe with a size 10 if needed after the stripper.

She doesn't want a trigger on the reel seat, so I was leaning towards a standard fuji in size 17. Split grip EVA and a small foregrip, with a rubber butt cap.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. We are not dead set on this blank, but it seems like it would work well.
I have the B-632H2MF conventional rod and S-662H2MF spinner. 632 is only two ounces heavier but feels stronger. Will test 662 on bigger fish this summer in Alaska, 632 has already done well in Panama and Alaska. For bigger tuna and halibut, I use the the Cape Cod Special two piece, 350g 502. Fishing done from center console of pilot house catamaran.

If I was to build, it would be without the trigger too.

Reactions: RWP