geramiecg

Almost A Member
Apr 24, 2012
OC
Name
Geramie
Boat
2021 22 ft Bayliner T22CC Trophy center console
My son Jarred and I went lobster fishing on Black Friday from 1600 to 2330 hours. We fished one of the smaller inner jetty walls of Long Beach harbor in 40 to 50 feet of water using salmon heads and mackerel combo. We managed to take home 6 legals and threw back 3 shorts. It was a pretty good night of lobster fishing considering we only caught one keeper on the first trip of the season last month. Due to upcoming commitments, we probably won't be able to go out again till mid January. I wish I could go out sooner because my son is already wanting to go out again. Sea lions were out in force again...they trashed six of my bait cages that I now have to replace. Thanks for looking and have a great holiday season.

Black Friday Lobster.jpg

Upvote 0

sea4reel

water taxi
Sep 2, 2009
Fountain Valley
Name
Tim Jarrett
Boat
25' Custom Surfhunter
Nice job on the bugs. It's better than I have this year. As far as the bait cages go I switched to the diy pvc tubes it's about $50 in supplies but the seals have left us alone this season so far.

20161020_153752.jpg

Upvote 0

TheMan90241

Aug 28, 2012
Downey/CA/Los Angeles
Name
Terry
Boat
Seaswirl Striper 2301 W/A
Glad to see you are still out there getting a few Geramie. Zip ties in the corner of the cage doors does the trick for me. I rarely get one raided anymore. Harbor Frieght - $2. for 100 eight inch zip ties.

Reactions: geramiecg
Upvote 0

geramiecg

Almost A Member
Apr 24, 2012
OC
Name
Geramie
Boat
Glad to see you are still out there getting a few Geramie. Zip ties in the corner of the cage doors does the trick for me. I rarely get one raided anymore. Harbor Frieght - $2. for 100 eight inch zip ties.

Hi Sir,
I have been securing my cages with 4 zip ties evenly spaced at the openings since you advised me on zip tying my cages when we met in the harbor a couple of years ago.,,it has helped me out a lot. I guess the sea lions were really hungry last night because they ripped my bait cages apart and left them mangled. Please see the picture I have attached. Stay safe and happy holidays.

Geramie

Mangled lobster cage.jpg

Upvote 0

FloMar

Hired Gun!
Apr 28, 2004
CA.
Name
John Collar
Boat
Parker 2320
IMG_3447.JPG

We fished one of the smaller inner jetty walls of Long Beach harbor in 40 to 50 feet of water using salmon heads and mackerel combo.

If others can't figure out which of 20+ jetties you're referring to . . . LOL!
Best location description I've seen in 7 weeks (this season).

It was a pretty good night of lobster fishing considering we only caught one keeper on the first trip of the season last month.

. . . . . tells me YOU GET IT!

My son Jarred

How old is your son?

QUOTE="geramiecg, post: 4234557, member: 150498"]...they trashed six of my bait cages that I now have to replace. Thanks for looking and have a great holiday season.[/QUOTE]

Other have stated this, and it works for me too, I have zipties all over my cages and they truly do damage to the Seals and Sea Lions thinking about messing' with my cages. Suggestion. Enjoy the holidays yourself. Nice indeed!

IMG_3448.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 0

geramiecg

Almost A Member
Apr 24, 2012
OC
Name
Geramie
Boat
Upvote 0

geramiecg

Almost A Member
Apr 24, 2012
OC
Name
Geramie
Boat
If others can't figure out which of 20+ jetties you're referring to . . . LOL!
Best location description I've seen in 7 weeks (this season).

. . . . . tells me YOU GET IT!

How old is your son?

QUOTE="geramiecg, post: 4234557, member: 150498"]...they trashed six of my bait cages that I now have to replace. Thanks for looking and have a great holiday season.

Other have stated this, and it works for me too, I have zipties all over my cages and they truly do damage to the Seals and Sea Lions thinking about messing' with my cages. Suggestion. Enjoy the holidays yourself. Nice indeed![/QUOTE]

Hello Sir,

My son just turned 16 in September. Happy fishing!!
Geramie

Upvote 0

FloMar

Hired Gun!
Apr 28, 2004
CA.
Name
John Collar
Boat
Parker 2320
Geramie, please call me John, no need 2B formal.
Added bait cage pics above.

Upvote 0

geramiecg

Almost A Member
Apr 24, 2012
OC
Name
Geramie
Boat
Geramie, please call me John, no need 2B formal.
Added bait cage pics above.

Thank you John...Just a habit due to my up- bringing, past, and current occupations. LoL. Thanks for the pics. I will try that with my remaining bait cages. Have a great night John!!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

sea4reel

water taxi
Sep 2, 2009
Fountain Valley
Name
Tim Jarrett
Boat
25' Custom Surfhunter
Geramie I know I already stated the diy pvc tubes and cost but I would definitely recommend them. I use 2 inch pvc tubing and they seem to keep the seals off of my bait. 1 ten foot stick will make you ten 1 foot tubes which easily hold 2 whole mackerel plus some chunk. All the tools you need is a drill, drill bit (I used a step drill bit), and something to cut the pvc with(I used my compound miter saw). If you don't have the time or tools I can probably make you some for you for the cost of materials and a small fee for my time. If you are interested in any more info about building your own or having me build some for you send me a pm.
Tim

Upvote 0

geramiecg

Almost A Member
Apr 24, 2012
OC
Name
Geramie
Boat
Geramie I know I already stated the diy pvc tubes and cost but I would definitely recommend them. I use 2 inch pvc tubing and they seem to keep the seals off of my bait. 1 ten foot stick will make you ten 1 foot tubes which easily hold 2 whole mackerel plus some chunk. All the tools you need is a drill, drill bit (I used a step drill bit), and something to cut the pvc with(I used my compound miter saw). If you don't have the time or tools I can probably make you some for you for the cost of materials and a small fee for my time. If you are interested in any more info about building your own or having me build some for you send me a pm.
Tim

Hi Tim,
I will definitely give this a try. My son made me a chum tube similar to your design with a little bigger pvc pipe. My concern is will this disperse enough scent through this design. It worked this summer for chumming. We put a bunch of bait through our food processor, filled up the tube, and froze it. Worked like a charm for Calico and other bottom fish. Since I have to replace 6 cages. I might go 5 cages and 5 tubes later in the season to experiment and see how they both attract lobsters. I appreciate your offer on building the tubes for me but my son loves doing stuff like this and he does it for free. :) lol, Happy lobstering,

Geramie

Lobster Tube.jpg

Reactions: sea4reel
Upvote 0