Black Friday bluefin in paradise

Discussion in 'Southern California Offshore Fishing Reports' started by jigfisherman, Nov 28, 2016.

1. jigfisherman

jigfisherman Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Josh Huffstetler
    Boat:
    none
    Well I'm pretty sure I have finally experienced the last of El Niño. Due to work I don't think I will get out anymore until around February but oh well. These last 3 years have truely been something amazing. At 24 years old I was always hearing the stories of what they used to do in "the good old days." Luckily for all of us who have been able to experience it, we now have our stories to tell of the good old days.

On Friday me and my buddy Matt had the pleasure of being able to fill 2 remaining spots for a charter on the Dreamer. There were no boats going out Thursday and I'm sure that they wish they did. These guys picked a hell of a weather window and that's what we fished 6pm to 1am. We cleared the harbor at 11 am and arrives at the bank around 530pm. Apparently it was us, billy and svue, and only 3 other boats. A few of you good samaritans decided to run your mouths in the trip planning board about the weather. Well guess what guys, stick to fishing not weather reporting because it was absolute glass. Unreal weather in November out on the tanner.

We had only a 2 hour bite window starting around 7. But it bit tho. We ended up with 9 fish for 6 guys with well over 20 bites. They were eating the 100 pound with ease. I broke a nice one off on 60 on the flat fall on the trim tab. We lost quite a few fish to them being really squirrelly and getting under the boat on short rail rods. I ended going 1 for 3 with a fish in the 60s and my buddy Matt got his ass kicked on a right at 100 pound fish while on 50. image.jpeg image.jpeg

I can't thank Liwei, Kenny, Kevin and Winston enough for letting us jump on with them for one last hoorah at these things. All 4 of you were some really classy guys and I would love to fish with all of you again whether it be the dreamer or down south on a 6 or 7 day.

The water temp was 62.5 out there so it's all based on the squid now. Find a squid bed and anchor on it, the fish will find you quick. 2 ounce sliders and 4 ounce torpedoes were hot. The bites were either little nibbles while in free spool or 4-5 cranks in while popping your squid or just reeling in. We only fished in the dark so it was all heavy line big 2 speeds and short rail rods except for maybe 3 or 4 bites on 50 and 60. If you can make it out I wouldn't hesitate to fish 130-200 pound mono. Get out now if the weather is safe enough to allow for it because it really is an epic bite on an awesome grade of fish. Plus I mean how many times do you get to hang local bluefin on your cow gear. Thanks for reading guys

2. lougio

lougio Capt Lou

Name:
    Lou
    Boat:
    '03 Parker 2520 Louie-Lui II
    Nice, way to get out there. Yeah there are a few weather witches that I think are just pissed cause they can't get out and so they like to bring your good vibe down. Congrats!

3. Tunaslam

Tunaslam I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Cory Visser
    Boat:
    N/A
    Seems like you can't rely on any weather forecasts anywhere anymore. Oh well I prefer to error on the safe side, long ways to go and get stuck in bad weather. But congrats guys, the weather Gods were on your side this time!

4. af dreamer

af dreamer I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    tom
    Boat:
    44 luhrs dreamer
    Watson has always had big balls!Tom

brokenseal likes this.
  5. svue

svue I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Vue
    Boat:
    Everglade 290
    Right on... you guys killed it as well...

We decided on this trip during thanksgiving dinner...
    Imagine the txt going back and forth and the wifey asking me what I was planning... LOL. But I'm glad we did pull the trigger and got out.

I think we ran by you guys on our way back around 12:30. Cleaning fish at 5:30 am in the harbor is a new thing for me...

The fat lady has not even begun to warm up her vocal chords, get out and what can I say: All you need is Kill, kill for those tasty Toro...

B-fat likes this.
  6. Chubby Tuna

Chubby Tuna Fishing hurts my ballsac!

Name:
    Joe
    Boat:
    25ft Aquapro Sailfish
    Great job on the weather window and fish. I cancelled my trip on the Freedom today and glad I did. Tanner buoy showing 14ft and 25mph gusts. Yuck

7. Fins in the Bin

Fins in the Bin Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    used to fish
    Boat:
    50 Silverton
    People often confuse big swell with an ugly sea and you cant be further from the truth. No wind and a big swell fine to fish in, but you better make sure the wind isn't going to come up. Its all about the wind or wind swell that gets nasty. Nice job!

fishallday and Chubby Tuna like this.
  8. kevina

kevina I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    kev
    Boat:
    25' aqua sport
    That's the truth

9. Tunahead

Tunahead Long Time Tuna Abused Member

Name:
    Ron