lkatdpelicanfly

Lizard Fish Slayer
Jun 23, 2009
sou cal
Name
Frank
Boat
Kayak
If you catch one accidentally while fishing for rockfish, does it count toward your 10 fish rockfish limit in us waters...anyone know? Heard they're good smoked because they're so oily.

sueno

Go Fishing!
Jun 3, 2003
San Diego
Name
Doug
Boat
Parker 2310
You can't Fish US waters over 300 feet ! In Mexico it does count as one of your fish! Only five black gill per person per day in Mexico

sydleier

Aug 19, 2012
Playa del Rey
Name
Sydney Leier
Boat
23' cc Mary Esther
You can't Fish US waters over 300 feet ! In Mexico it does count as one of your fish! Only five black gill per person per day in Mexico
I may be totally incorrect here, but I'm pretty sure you can fish in as deep of water as you want in CA? My understanding is that the current 300' depth limit is only applies to individuals who are fishing for and / or in possession of federally managed groundfish IE rockfish, lings, ect. If you couldn't fish in water deeper that 300' everyone who deep drops for Broadbills, fishes tuna, dorado and yellowtail would be in violation of this law?

Fubar1x

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Aug 1, 2006
so cal
Name
Dave
Boat
none
Sueno these are sable fish not black gill. Black gill look like reds with black gills and are also found in deep water.
This is a Black Gill

Last edited:

inyo1

Dec 29, 2011
lone pine Ca. USA
Name
Mike
Boat
"boat" bust out another thousand
We used to use fish traps for black cod between cat & clemente back in the late 70's. depth was between 1K & 2K as the first guy said. got some slime eels too. when I worked on the new California barge in Redondo we used to catch a few on hook & line.

jigstrike

SCUBA Spearing Daddy
Feb 28, 2004
Sabre Springs
Name
Tom McKinney
Boat
Pacific Option, a 2006 Tiara 3000 Open
Unfortunately that warden was not correct according to the summary chart in the rule book. Sablefish are considered part of the federally managed ground fish although not part of the RCG complex. However the chart shows that the depth restriction of 300 ft still applies to the"other federally managed ground fish" and does not apply to "sand dabs and other flat fish"

Which is a bummer because electric reels are legal in CA.

CaptJgray

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jan 23, 2014
Huntington Beach
Name
Jeff Gray
Boat
hell no....
I use to catch them on occasion when we were tied up to the mooring can at Eureka Furthest SE rig off huntington...

the black gills we got were on the hard bottom outside the rigs

theres a bunch of spot prawns in that area too... now who wants to do a combo trip....

BluefinCurly

Skipper
Aug 15, 2004
Norwalk
Name
Carl
Boat
Vagabond, The Last Minute
I fished sablefish commercially in the late 70's/early 80's. Mostly around the Tanner basin, hard mud bottom, along the drop-offs, from 350 to 700 fthms

mutu0069

CEO of my own Domain
Oct 7, 2006
los alamitos
Name
brian
Boat
whatever floats
I remember catching them in the late 70's and early 80's at the Short Banks with my pops. They were mostly incidental catches after drifting off our spot. We would chunk them up and use them for bait. Worked good too! Never thought of eating them back then.