Phat Matt

Matt
Jun 30, 2003
San Clemente
Name
PhAT Matt
Boat
2320 Parker - MISS EMMA
Hooked a nice thresher last evening. Tail whipped me in the right eye at gaff. Packs a mean punch.
Splintered my gaff.............mayhem!
Look out!!!!!!!!!!

THRESHER43013.JPG

TAILWHIP3.JPG

TAILSHIP2.JPG

Upvote 0

Juny

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Jun 15, 2010
San Diego
Name
Jorge Bee
Boat
15' Gregor
Ouch!

Upvote 0

Otto

I Should Upgrade My Account
Aug 1, 2008
San Diego
Name
Floyd - Guy from Repo Man
Boat
19 SeaPro
Most people will expect a better story ... What does the other guy look like ?

Upvote 0

brokeass boater

Feb 23, 2010
Norcal's Brentwood
Name
Gregg
Boat
24' Skipjack w/Pilothouse, 21' Marada, 15' Boston Whaler
Yea,, that's what I was thinking. Here's general public response that don't fish " A fish did that,,come on man,,what really happened",,, nice catch, thanks for sharing,,,gregg

Upvote 0

nefarious235

Aug 1, 2008
Proudly American
Name
Dan
Boat
canoe & plastic flotsam
My rule at the rail is if the belly is facing, DON'T!!!!
If the back is facing you,okay to first grab the tail, then gaff the headline. Never release the tail till you are done with the fish, kill or release. Been slapped in the arm by a fish on deck, no fun. Glad you are OK.

Reactions: Phat Matt
Upvote 0

?? fisherman

super Captain
Feb 27, 2003
Soul Cal
www.sandiegofishing.com
Name
Mike
Boat
Kencraft CC
Ouch man..... your wife packs a mean punch!! LOL

Damn Matt, glad you came out ok, cause that could have honestly ended very bad!

Since I am always bringing this up on occasion I gotta ask......... were you wearing your shades when that happened? Be honest bro!

I only ask this, because this is the perfect time to bring this up again....... but I am always preaching to guys to wear their shades whenever leadering a large fish. I was on a trip down to Cabo many years back where we were in in tandem with another boat...... one of the deckhands on the other boat was leadering a hot marlin when the jig came up and tagged him in the eye....... as a result he lost his eye.

Be careful and always wear some shades or eye protection when leadering big fish.

The unknown Bieberman:p:

Last edited:
Reactions: Lone Shark
Upvote 0

Blackfish

Marble collector.
Sep 20, 2005
My Backyard
Name
Boat
toy
Hooked a nice thresher last evening. Tail whipped me in the right eye at gaff. Packs a mean punch.
Splintered my gaff.............mayhem!
Look out!!!!!!!!!!

View attachment 512781

View attachment 512782

View attachment 512783
Nice job Matt.

I fished the Kelp yesterday for the gay fish, and then from 1 pm to 7 pm, I trolled from the domes back to the kelp for no luck on the bitch slappers. Bait, turns, pelicans, seagulls, cormorants, seals, dolphins, and whales, but no love on the T's or the WSB. Lots off life out there.

Upvote 0

Phat Matt

Matt
Jun 30, 2003
San Clemente
Name
PhAT Matt
Boat
2320 Parker - MISS EMMA
Ouch man..... your wife packs a mean punch!! LOL

Damn Matt, glad, you came out ok, cause that could have honestly ended very bad!

Since I am always bringing this up on occasion I gotta ask......... were you wearing your shades when that happened? Be honest bro!

I only ask this, because this is the perfect time to bring this up again....... but I am always preaching to guys to wear their shades whenever leadering a large fish. I was on a trip down to Cabo many years back where we were in in tandem with another boat...... one of the deckhands on the other boat was leadering a hot marlin when the jig came up and tagged him in the eye....... as a result he lost his eye.

Be careful and always wear some shades or eye protection when leadering big fish.

The unknown Bieberman:p:

Mike, No glasses it was right at dusk. You are correct..could of been a lot worse. I got lucky. Could have lost an eye quite easily!!

Everyone is having fun with this post (I think its funny too) but half the reason I posted is to make fun...of myself...and then the other half was warn everyone that these sharks or any shark are mucho dangerous and all should use great caution when fucking with these beasts.

For me I am going halibut fishing. See ya on the water...................

Matty

Man those yellows are going off down there!

EWhalibut.JPG

Reactions: wils
Upvote 0

Mo Betta

Offshore Prop Changer
Feb 6, 2003
El Cajon
youatplay.com
Name
Frank
Boat
25' Wellcraft sportsman "Mo Betta", 14' Livingston"Caballito"
I got smacked on the forearm so hard it bled. Thanks for reminder.

Upvote 0

Northeastfshman

I see OJ
  • Dec 20, 2008
    San Clemente
    Name
    Brett Weinberg
    Boat
    Parker 2120SCDV
    Seen em crack fiberglass. Guess I shouldn't have grabbed that one by the tail this fall lol. Glad you are ok Matt! Haven't been out of Dana since December. Need to get out.

Upvote 0