Discussion in 'Fishing Chit Chat' started by Haly0, Jul 5, 2016.
Probably "Erysipelothrix rhusiopathiae". Fish Handlers Disease.
They found 2 things. 1 was strep virus. The other is still unknown until tomorrow. Over all an experience I will never forgot and always stress to take care of in the future.
Jefe, are you talking about normal bleach?
did you use it diluted on water ? any special percentage on the bleach and water?
maybe a package of cloralex desinfecting wipes will work wonders onboard
Ever since I had a big infection I have been using Hibiclens. Get a small 1"x3" hand/nail brush and scrub down with a squirt of Hibiclens on the brush.
Hibiclens bottles come small enough to fit into small first aid kit.
If you want to go the bleach route, you still should have a small soft brush to get in the nooks and crannies.
Think surgeons scrubbing in.
If you have a wound you need to keep it clean. Band-Aids made of cloth and super glue will last all day on the boat. Super glue will soak through band aid and stick to skin.
Pliers are your friend, or just cut the hook off.
Wow, some serious pus action right there. Ocean is filled with nasty stuff. Watch out for coral cuts too.
Darn you are grounded for now !!
Fishes are fighting Back hard...
HIBICLENS is your friend.....even after cuts get to the point of the OP
Hey Dude, don’t blame that infection on floro
Fuck that shit sucked ass. Staph infection is no joke
^^^^this....had staph/MRSA 4 times...it is no joke.
I keep both hydrogen peroxide & bleach in spray bottles ( size of bottle depends on length of trip) I use both periodically through out the day. At night I use neosporin as a hand lotion. Those small cuts & scraps happen all day been doing this for 15 years now so far so good.
Another thing you can do easily on nasty wounds on fingers (not so easy on other body bits) is to place the affected digit in salt water that is as hot as you can possibly bear. For some of these infections three or four goes over a day of this can be enough to really knock it down. I have had success with treating an infected fish spine under a thumbnail with this when betadiene was not working (probably couldn't get at it) as well as infected line cuts. Of course, washing anything with antibacterials or antiseptics before there is a problem is a much better way to go.
Thanks for the wake up call. I might try tequila and lime on my next fish cuts. It always makes me feel better inside.
You're not supposed to put hydrogen peroxide in the wound, only use it to clean around it. The foaming isn't just bacteria dying, it's your living tissue dying. You can use it to clean around the wound because the upper layers of your skin are dead cells. Same goes for alcohol and iodine. They're fine for cleaning around the wound, but if you get them in the wound you'll be killing living tissue.
Use some sort of antibiotic ointment on the wound itself, like Neosporin (a combination of 3 antibiotics). Bear in mind that some people are allergic to it. So if you're not sure about allergies, probably better to go with a little bit of alcohol, iodine, or hydrogen peroxide followed by clean water (open a new bottle of drinking water), rather than risk creating a medical emergency several hours offshore.
Weirdest case I've heard of was someone whose wife was hit inside the mouth by a flying fish while they were swimming. She initially got an infection, but after it cleared she continued to suffer from fatigue and headaches for at least a year (when I lost touch with the guy).
Separate names with a comma.