Bisbee ECO teams release a record 107 blues

Discussion in 'Baja Bytes By Gary Graham' started by Baja Bytes, Aug 5, 2016.

1. Baja Bytes

Baja Bytes Baja Editor BD Writer

Name:
    Gary Graham
    Boat:
    Watercloset
    Baja Bytes Weekly Overview-Friday
    August 5, 2016
    Gary Graham

Que Pasa

[​IMG]

Going into the last day of the Bisbee East Cape Offshore the totals through the first two days are impressive!

Some of this weeks East Cape Offshore tournament action aboard "Reel Gold"

Sixty-five teams with 429 anglers managed to catch a total of 115 fish: 1 black marlin; 80 blue marlin; 10 sailfish; 22 striped marlin; 3 yellowfin tuna and with only 10 fish reported lost.

[​IMG]

Landed early the first day, Rick Twamley's 427-pound blue marlin caught aboard the "Bullrider" swept the billfish dailies for the first two days and is the fish to beat as the third day begins.

[​IMG]

Aboard the "Pangalisa," John Dominic subdued a 111-pound yellowfin tuna that put them at the top of the gamefish category with one more day to go.

The new Billfish Release category is still a contest with Hooray having 1400 points and Reel Gold close behind at 1200 points, followed by Pocket Aces with 1000 points.

With the final day just getting underway will the 60 teams chasing the five teams at the top of various categories find a way to nudge them out of their positions? Stay tuned – it’s not over until it’s over at 4p.m. lines out this afternoon…

Coronado Islands

Not good.
    The water remains green to brown. A few yellows were caught in the Lighthouse area of South Island and a few more down at South Kelp and SKR. There were also a few bonito and barracuda caught in those areas.
    Still it was scratchy fishing at best. …Fishdope.com

Ensenada

[​IMG]

The Ensenada Sport Fishing Association invites you to their annual family tournament on August 13 and 14. Registration starts at $30 for adults and $18 for kids, plus the cost of Mexican fishing licenses. Bring your own boat or go aboard a local charter. Prizes total $5,500 USD, with a special prize for the biggest bluefin tuna.

It’s a family environment, with live music starting at noon and surprises for all women and children who register their catches.

Tickets can be purchased Saturday, August 13 at "Ventana al Mar," by the large Mexican flag on the Boardwalk, and at the docks with the sportfishing fleet. For more information, please contact Juan Manuel at 011(52)646-116-7508.

The Ensenada 6-pack fleet is still finding some yellowfin and some nice yellowtail and dorado on kelps in the Banda Bank area. Some kelp in the area is giving up both dorado and yellowtail. …Fishdope.com

San Quintín

[​IMG]

San Quintin Bay slow no more! …Captain Juan Cook

http://www.bdoutdoors.com/forums/threads/san-quintin-bay-slow-no-more.633633/

San Felipe

[​IMG]

I did a quick trip to close up my house for the summer and summer was already there. Very warm temperatures but the humidity wasn't too bad and there was a breeze most of the time. We did a quick morning trip down the beach and picked up three nice 6-pound corvina. …Scott

http://www.bdoutdoors.com/forums/threads/san-felipe-7-26-2026.633251/

Bahía de Los Ángeles

Not sure I can describe my day very well but I'll try. We went to make bait in the Bahia here and got plenty of bait and also ended up catching 3 skipjack tuna with the Sabiki rigs during the process. We then proceeded to the fishing grounds and happened to see some dorado. We caught....oh about 40 or so and got tired of that so we then proceeded to the yellowtail grounds…Clyde

http://www.bdoutdoors.com/forums/threads/bola-dodos-went-off-8-2.633737/

Cedros Island

[​IMG]

We have some openings on our September Cedros Island trips. Great experience if you haven't gone on one, and they have been discounted by $200 for WON fishing. It has been outstanding this year for big yellows and calicos. Here's a story and video on the trip if you are interested, so jump on this! Hosted by WON Editor Pat McDonell.

Bahía Ascensión

[​IMG]

I went down to Bahia Asuncion with three of my amigos on July 10. Traveled from San Diego to Asuncion in one day -- long drive but worth it; the stay here was awesome. …Chris

http://www.bdoutdoors.com/forums/threads/bahia-asuncion.633622/

La Bocana

[​IMG]

Pompano in the suds. …Juanchy's Aguilar

Loreto

[​IMG]

Captain Tony with a sample of the ones that didn't get away.

He has been adventuring around the rims of a couple of high spots finding new targets. Some nice-sized pintos, whitefish and reds have been coming up. These same spots are starting to collect terminal gear courtesy of some nice-sized yellowtail.

The early spring fishing continues although the calendar and the outside air temperature says otherwise.

Bottom fishing is the only game in town and we are thankful for that!

It is still focused on the rock piles scattered around the area and we are still catching yellowtail, pinto and cabrilla.

A lot of our customers are rookies or vacationers on a whim and the pinto and cabrilla are no problem but the yellowtail consistently pin them to the rail and break off.
    I think that is where the "the one that got away" story kicks in. They don't seem to mind getting whipped by what they might spin into a Loch Ness monster-type Baja fish story!

One of the Puerto Escondido boats, "Wild Wil" did a long-haul out past Catalina Island this week.

He focused on an area "seven miles east" and found the water dark, green and cold! Normally this time of year we would be seeing clear blue 85 degree water with the summer visitors (that passed us by, again).

He slid in with some commercial, hand line pangas and discovered they were fishing a high spot of 500 feet in 1,400 feet of deep water.

With not much else going on, he decided to check it out and ended up with a double/double of grouper and baqueta with the biggest running close to 40 pounds.

This would be where I would expect a few big tuna and wahoo to be hooked if this was a normal year.

Live bait has been swinging back and forth between "Jurelitos" and 8-inch mackerel with bait available everyday . . . for the early boats.

Sardina are another story this year with almost a total absence since last summer.

That puts a huge hurt on the fly fishing scene with no flashing silver-sided sardina to churn up the action.

The middle of this month, Loreto is the site for a state-wide fishing tournament for two days with another one-day tournament following.

The most beautiful poster was put up announcing the event. Too bad there aren't any of those fish around. I wonder if they have an "other fish" slot to aim at? (I hope they don't all gang up on the roosters!)…Rick Hill, Pinchy Sportfishing

Magdalena Bay

Report pending…

La Paz

[​IMG]

Russian visitors! Speak no English or Spanish except emphatically telling me, "BIG FISH! BIG FISH!" Oh...you want to go fishing! Got it! …Jonathan Roldan, Tailhunter International

East Cape

[​IMG]

Recently I commented to Sporty Game owner Dan Lewis that I hadn't had a 50+ pound dorado in my report this year. He reached for is cell phone and showed me the above photo of a fish caught several weeks ago off Cabo.

[​IMG]

We truly are spoiled down here when on an off year we can still land billfish in double-digits each day, roosters over 60 pounds, tuna over 300 pounds, wahoo over 100 pounds, swordfish over 300 pounds, and now you can add big amberjacks to the mix. …Van Wormer Resorts

http://www.bdoutdoors.com/forums/threads/east-cape-fishing-report.633613/

[​IMG]

It’s all about billfish. The bite has been a good mix of blues, stripes and sails with most of the action slightly more than a stone’s throw from Rancho’s pier on the La Ribera Bank. The big blue marlin were grabbing large, brightly colored lures and striped marlin were hitting rigged ballyhoo. …Gary Barnes Webb

http://www.bdoutdoors.com/forums/threads/it’s-all-about-billfish.633453/

[​IMG]

In a week that has produced excellent catches of blue marlin, striped marlin and sailfish, TV fishing host and personality Dan Hernandez and his group had great action with multiple billfish and an impressive 61-pound wahoo caught by Steve Oropeza from California. …Hotel Buena Vista Beach Resort

San José del Cabo

Report Pending. …Eric Brictson, Gordo Banks Pangas

Los Cabos

The Bilek family of four, all from San Diego, landed a 190-pound blue marlin while fishing aboard the "Gaviota I", trolling a Petrolero artificial on 80-pound. test mono that required about 45 minutes to land the fish, while passing over the 95 Fathom Spot just a short distance outside of the Cabo San Lucas Harbor. The three boys and their father apparently took turns with the fish, allowing each of them a percentage of the "bragging rights."

High billfish boat for the week was the "Fish Cabo," reporting in with 6 stripers released and 1 sailfish released plus a 9.5-hour fight on a blue marlin that finally broke off and will be there waiting for the tournament events in October. Three ladies fought the fish over most of the span and finally gave up and turned it over to Captain Gil Marquez who put too much pressure on the fish at about 6:30 p.m. The fish was hooked on a live bait that was dropped back on a fish that chased the rigged baits in their trolling pattern. Gil estimated the fish to be between 500 and 600 pounds.

Cabo Climate: Average daytime air temps at 94.8 degrees and average nights at 76.1; humidity level average at 57.7%. Mostly warm and sunny days with a few passing clouds.

Sea Conditions: Water temps from Finger Bank to Cabo Falso at 83 to 84 degrees. Cabo Falso to Chileno Bay and out to the 95 Fathom Spot at 78 to 79 degrees and the 1150 Fathom Spot and northerly to Los Frailes, all at 84 to 86 degrees. Surface breezes are tropical and flowing mostly from the southerly directions at 10.8 mph.

Best Fishing Area: On a line about 4 miles out from Cabo on a course to the 95 Fathom Spot and the 1150 Fathom Spot, provided most of the billfish action this past week.

Best Bait/Lure: Live bait was working very well on drop-backs to fish that were already in the trolling patterns. One blue was taken on an artificial.

Bait Supply: A good live bait supply with caballito at the $3.00 per bait rate.

DSC_7163.jpg

Last edited: Aug 6, 2016
    Tunahead likes this.
  2. robertebaker

robertebaker BOILERMAKER.

Name:
    Bob Baker
    Boat:
    No
    Great report. Thanks.

Tunahead likes this.
  3. Tunahead