nunyabizness1

BD Den Momma
Feb 9, 2007
San Diego
Name
Nunya
Boat
S. S. Minnow
Can't think of a better way to spend my birthday than being out on the water catching a couple of firsts for me and fishing with some great friends!

Got to fish on the awesome Tuna Jihad thanks to the invite from Ali and Jason and we were joined by Ken (Doughnut). We met at the boat by 5 am and headed to the bait barge. Had a long wait for bait but it was worth it since the YF tuna were eating it up!

Ali & Jason will have to tell ya where we went because being a kayak fisherlady, I don't know the #'s or get to those locations on my own. The weather couldn't have been any nicer! The water was flat and like a lake! Ali told me he was going to get me hooked up to my first tuna and he didn't disappoint!

We got limits on the YF tuna, I caught my very first dorado, and we caught some rat yellowtails too. What a great time! Like they said on their trips earlier in the week, this was a one-stop shopping kind of day! We came upon some big boils of YF tuna and went to town reeling them in. Jason and Ali were gaffing them for me as quick as they could and had another rod rigged up to hand to me for the next one! It was such a rush! I had an incredible time.

My absolute favorite part was catching the dorado, seeing it jump in the water in the distance and hoping it wouldn't bite through the line and lose it. Luckily, it was hooked in the corner of the mouth. Bringing it to the boat and watching it swim in the crystal clear water was beautiful. I feel so fortunate to have been invited to join in this experience.

maggie first dorado.jpg

doradocloseup.jpg

We found a bunch of yellowtails on a couple of paddies and had fun reeling them in. They were rat-yellows and we tossed most of them back. We ran into a couple of people on the water and called them into our paddie. Also ran into Saluki, Curtis and FKG on the Hannah. Caught a glimpse of the full moon in store for tonight...

saluki azz.jpg

saluki and hannah.jpg

Saluki and Curtis were getting low on bait so Jason told them to come get some from us since we were done for the day and headed home. Ali and Ken bagged some bait and floated a bag full to Saluki to come pick up! Mission accomplished! They were able to stay out and fish and had a pretty good day! Here's Ali and Ken floating the bait off to the Hannah...

tuna jihad bait.jpg

As we headed back in, we left a trail of what the bloodydecks on the Tuna Jihad was like as Jason and Ken cleaned the deck... we were hoping for a nice shark to come along...

tuna jihad bloody trail.jpg

We trolled a good part of the way back home but didn't get any hits. The fish wanted the real thang!

Here is a pic of our catch back at the dock!

tuna jihad2.jpg

tuna jihad3.jpg

I had a fantastic birthday fishing with these guys! They were awesome and patient with teaching me what to do and getting me set-up with rigged rods, gaffing the fish and making sure I got my first tuna and dorado too! Thank you for an incredible day!

Upvote 0

Slater

cuss on Monday,pray on Sunday,dream about one day
Jun 1, 2006
Lakeside
Name
Rob
Boat
sold! / cattle boat
Nice score on the dodo Maggie, nice to get some variety in the fridge....
First drag ripping tuna bite, ough what the excitement!!!
Thats where all the sleepless nights begin, thinking about the next trip.
We won't talk about the sleepless night after seeing Saluki's ass....

Last edited:
Upvote 0

MikeeDaGuy

Fishin FIN-Attict
May 21, 2006
Frazier Park
Name
Mikee
Boat
12' Klamath Aluminium, 14' Valco
Outstanding way to spend your B-Day Maggie. Looks like fun was had by all. . .

If I recollect two full moons in a month dictate a "Blue Moon" as of which the second is known to be the "Blue Moon" as this phenomenon.

After a closer look I am unable to determine which of the "Full Moon's" in picture # 3 is actually "Blue" as it were. . .

although the one on the right is a bit red!

:)

Happy Birthday again Maggie, Fantastic report and pics!!!!

Upvote 0

Tunahead

Long Time Tuna Abused Member
Aug 11, 2006
Costa Mesa
Name
Ron
Boat
several
HAPPY BIRTHDAY MAGGIE, what a cool birthday and dodo's as well. Too Cool.
Gotta think those "honky=white=butts" scared off the bluefin to the Tanner now?" LOL LOL

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Fishbones

Your wife thinks about ME
Nov 7, 2005
Chula Vista
Name
Rich
Boat
One Off 28' Custom Built Skipjack (SOUTHWESTERN) & 18' Sylvan (Short Runs)
Congrats Maggie........I must have missed your call ;-)

Upvote 0

Jason

I break stuff @ BD
Admin
  • Feb 4, 2003
    Encinitas, CA USA
    www.bdoutdoors.com
    Name
    Jason
    Boat
    340Z SeaVee
    Glad you had a good time. That was as good as it gets! These easy limits in one stop the last two weeks are spoiling us.
    Did any pictures come out from all the puddling yellowfin schools with no one around?

Reactions: peteking
    Upvote 0

c-goat

HELL BENT FOR FEATHER
    May 4, 2004
    santee ca.
    Name
    Bill
    Boat
    08 DEFIANCE 220 ex Sheri-Moon
    Nice mahi specimen...Man,I would kill(spear through the head) for one of those dorado for dinner....my favorite grillin fish right there.

Upvote 0

Afry

Capitán
    Jul 5, 2005
    Ramona, Ca
    Name
    Arnie
    Boat
    38 Mediterranean, 23 Key West
    Nice job Maggie and Happy Birthday! Sorry you couldn't find any better friends to fish with.....:D

Upvote 0

Albacrazy

NUCKIN FUTS 4 2NA
    Sep 24, 2006
    Vegas
    Name
    Drew
    Boat
    18' Coleman
    Happy Birthday!!! It was also a birthday trip for me on Hannah and we did pretty damn good out there too. Thanks for the bait and all your help out there Jason & Ali!

Oh and nice looking asses :D

IMG_20140809_183727.JPG

IMG_20140809_184134.JPG

IMG_20140809_184657.JPG

IMG_20140809_184303.JPG

IMG_20140810_143513.JPG

IMG_20140809_184821.JPG

IMG_20140809_183727.JPG

IMG_20140809_183950.JPG

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

Captain Curt

Cooter
    Jun 22, 2003
    Mission Viejo
    www.noahstackle.net
    Name
    Curtis
    Boat
    24ft Skipjack FB "Hanna"
    Wow Maggie......................glad the boys showed you their moon. Congrats on a killer trip on the Jihad. Your grin says it all. Men's asses and pulling the lips off tuna has got to be the birthday of a life time. Plucking bait out of the water in a trash bag was a first for me...........and we thank you guys a million cause we used it well. Thanks for the pics.

Curtis...............

Upvote 0