HookEmDanO

Huhuhuge member
Jan 31, 2004
San Diego
Name
Dan
Boat
1997 Trophy 2352
I can tell you the answer right now. He was picking better baits than you.

You'll learn over time how to pick the best bait.

Like, if a farmer handed me a box of baby chicks and told me to pick the best one, I'd probably say they all looked the same. He'd probably instantly pick one up and say this one. It's the same way with bait. I'm sure to a new fishermen, they look like a bunch of identical sardines, but to me, they're not at all and I'll usually take about 10 to as much as 30 seconds watching the bait and selecting the best one. If it's a WFO bite and/or there's some urgency, I'll scoop up the first decent one I see. But usually, I take a little time and pick wisely.

You want to look for a nice light brown or light green color. Obviously red spots or red noses are bad. Baits missing scales are no good. But color's probably the best indicator. Often times the better baits spend more time swimming lower in the bait tank but that doesn't mean the ones that are on top are bad. Even the best ones come to the top.

When you buy a scoop of bait, you can generally tell how good the bait is by how much of it goes to the bottom of the tank (more = better) and by how many scales they shed (more = worse).

I wish there was some picture online of a tank of sardines where you could see the difference between the light and dark ones, but just take note next time you buy bait. Look in the tank for a minute, and see if you can spot the "blonde" baits. They'll be harder to catch than the bad ones!

Hope this helps some
I hope you arent expecting $1000 for your bait analysis

:rofl:

Reactions: Rabid Fish

Shewillbemine

"should of" is NOT a thing
Oct 19, 2012
California
Name
Shewillbemine
Boat
Chips N Guac
I can tell you the answer right now. He was picking better baits than you.

You'll learn over time how to pick the best bait.

Like, if a farmer handed me a box of baby chicks and told me to pick the best one, I'd probably say they all looked the same. He'd probably instantly pick one up and say this one. It's the same way with bait. I'm sure to a new fishermen, they look like a bunch of identical sardines, but to me, they're not at all and I'll usually take about 10 to as much as 30 seconds watching the bait and selecting the best one. If it's a WFO bite and/or there's some urgency, I'll scoop up the first decent one I see. But usually, I take a little time and pick wisely.

You want to look for a nice light brown or light green color. Obviously red spots or red noses are bad. Baits missing scales are no good. But color's probably the best indicator. Often times the better baits spend more time swimming lower in the bait tank but that doesn't mean the ones that are on top are bad. Even the best ones come to the top.

When you buy a scoop of bait, you can generally tell how good the bait is by how much of it goes to the bottom of the tank (more = better) and by how many scales they shed (more = worse).

I wish there was some picture online of a tank of sardines where you could see the difference between the light and dark ones, but just take note next time you buy bait. Look in the tank for a minute, and see if you can spot the "blonde" baits. They'll be harder to catch than the bad ones!

Hope this helps some
Thank you. He was very honest how THAT was exactly the answer. We had more conversations about that process during the trip.

I like your summary too so I'll incorporate that into my head.

Reactions: Rabid Fish

ysr_racer

Aug 12, 2011
Rustin in Tustin
Name
Brad G
Boat
none
I gotta ask, after you you pay someone $1000, do you have to tip them too?

FINADDICT*

SKIPPER
Jul 22, 2008
California
Name
Fingers
Boat
Finaddict*
My bad! I guess I read it wrong, “No Pelagics” since 2016” ? ...My bad bro, cool story for sure. Where did you catch the bluefin in 2016? Was that Mexico ? Teqnique? Jigs? Bait? How big were they back in “2016” ?
Again congrats ! Sounds like a good gig!

Reactions: Shewillbemine

galen

gfunk
Sep 20, 2004
escondido
Name
galen
Boat
15' inflatable "Pirate's Life"
Paying decent money for your best local trip? I don’t see what the fuss is all about. How much have the gawkers spent to catch a fish? Offshore fishing, even when it’s cheap it’s expensive.

Reactions: Shewillbemine

Fishingguy

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Apr 15, 2007
Orange County
Name
Billy
Boat
Parker
Let me chime in on this.....

First and foremost, big thank you to Allan for booking me. Myself included, we are all students of the sea. I am in no way shape or form an expert in this industry however I do believe that I have methods and skillsets that set me apart from the rest.

I now have a guiding service as well as charters. $1000 a day for guides; $2000 a day for a charter or tutorial trips and of Course, tips are not mandatory but always appreciated. I also have a membership website that has tutorial videos, especially for big bluefin methods as well as all my detailed reports with gps numbers of where Ive been fishing. My time is valuable and as is yours. Should you want to speed up the learning curve or have me on your boat then that is simply just my fee. I am currently heavily booked right now but have a few days available. I understand this post may be against bd policies and for that I apologize but I just wanted to answer everyone's comments and concerns.

Like fitness, I sincerely enjoy showing others my ways. Seeing others successful makes me happy and is the main reason of doing what I do. I too need to feed my family and hence, need to charge for my services.

I am grateful for this community and look forward working with anyone who may be interested.

Tight lines everyone.

ysr_racer

Aug 12, 2011
Rustin in Tustin
Name
Brad G
Boat
none
I wish I had a skill somebody would pay a $1000 a day for. Hell, I'd be happy if I had a skill somebody would pay 1000 pennies a day for :)

Anybody that tips on a $1000 is insane in my book. But hey, good luck to you.

El Chiva

Well-Known "Member"
May 23, 2010
Hb, ca
Name
Nomad
Boat
Parker 2120 Nomad
If there’s a market for this type of service, I don’t see the issue. We all can make our own decisions; to pay or not to pay.

We all have the ability to go out and fish....and hope we get bit....I see his service as a service based on “mitigation of failure.”

Nothing is guaranteed, you’re just being put in (what he believes) is your best shot at success.

Tip or no tip....that’s up to the charter master.

Fishingguy

Apr 15, 2007
Orange County
Name
Billy
Boat
Parker
For those inquiring about tip..... tipping is never mandatory but always appreciated. On that note, I have yet to run a trip without receiving a tip.

ysr_racer

Aug 12, 2011
Rustin in Tustin
Name
Brad G
Boat
none
Really, after paying you $1000 they tip you?' l'm sorry I went to school.

It's a free country, if you can get it. Go for it. I bitch about a $9 haircut :)

Reactions: Hustler

?? fisherman

super Captain
Feb 27, 2003
Soul Cal
www.sandiegofishing.com
Name
Mike
Boat
Kencraft CC
Man how times and all this tip stuff has changed!!

Mad respect for Billy and what people apparently are willing to pay for a day of fishing, but damn man, I honestly could not accept, nor would I ever expect a tip from someone after charging them $1000 for the day to fish on their own boat........just couldn't do it man...... wouldn't feel right to me at all.

Next thing ya know, doctors are going to have tip jars after you get out of surgery and expecting tips for a successful surgery LOL

The unknown fisherman:p:

Last edited:

Azarkon

Aug 28, 2015
California
Name
Joe
Boat
N/A
$1,000 seems a lot to pay but considering the amount of time many people spend on their 40 feet boats going 0 for 0, and the cost of gas going 100 miles on those boats... I'm not surprised they'd rather hire a top guide to get them on the fish.

A service is worth what people are willing to pay, no more, no less. When you're one of the best in the business and you've successfully marketed your skills through results and word of mouth, this is what happens.

We've all watched his growth from a new guy on a beat up 2007 Parker to one of the most successful captains in the field over the last few years and I think it's a nice example of how you make it, not just in fishing, but in life. I, for one, think it's an amazing story and an inspiration to us all.

HookEmDanO

Huhuhuge member
Jan 31, 2004
San Diego
Name
Dan
Boat
1997 Trophy 2352
oh...dont get me wrong...I would love to fish with him...BUT...NO way am I paying him $1200 to $1500 to fish on MY boat...aint happening...I am too c̶h̶e̶a̶p̶... I mean frugal

he does seem like a very nice guy...

I do wish him luck, as he is already very booked and seems to be on his way...I am truly happy for him...and his clients

oh and....the "secret" to fishing is really just to go to where the biting fish are

Reactions: r8rs4lf

miaf

Well-Known "Member"
Apr 14, 2013
Name
Boat
I’m guessing the small skiff in this post was not a full charge and more of a favor.

But if you have a big boat and have him on your boat, I’m sure the tip is a drop in the bucket compared to your running cost and well worth it.

I don’t think the average small skiff owner is going to to have a $1k guide on the boat.

Summer business is good I’m sure. Winter is a bitch I’m sure though.