Shewillbemine

"should of" is NOT a thing
Oct 19, 2012
California
Name
Shewillbemine
Boat
Chips N Guac
So I'll ask the million dollar question, what did you pay to have him school you?
He has a website and it seems someone already linked it. I was an early adopter so his price is what it is today.

I could've invited more anglers as long as my boat capacity could take it (and split costs) . I had no interest in that for the first time.

I'll likely be booking him next for a trip on his boat with my former boss and his family.

Arima-bob

Ship faced aquaholic
Mar 9, 2012
Too far from water
Name
Beeulzebob
Boat
uh....
and here i thought i was special in your life.

going to punch myself in the nuts after this one.

You know you're my favorite ho!

No need for a punch to the twins, rain coats or the pill is a lot more comfortable. Lol

You're first one should be just about old enough to put a rod in his hands.

We'll stop hijacking the thread, and "shewillbemine" can bask in his glory, and change his name to "Ifinallygother"

r8rs4lf

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jun 17, 2017
Tree Juan ho
Name
Al
Boat
Salty AF
I do NOT know this answer...and also am curious...tho I did go to billy k's website and it says.....$1000

View attachment 949040
So let me get this straight, $1K to have someone drive HIS boat, set up HIS electronics, get bait, hook fish and hand it off to him all in one day? Sounds like he paid for a charter on his own boat!

I hope he taught him to fillet as well! LOL

Reactions: Shewillbemine

Shewillbemine

Oct 19, 2012
California
Name
Shewillbemine
Boat
Chips N Guac
So let me get this straight, $1K to have someone drive HIS boat, set up HIS electronics, get bait, hook fish and hand it off to him all in one day? Sounds like he paid for a charter on his own boat!

I hope he taught him to fillet as well! LOL
That's exactly what it was (except the price). I'm pretty sure I literally described it that way.

This is a common service in the industry.

Shewillbemine

Oct 19, 2012
California
Name
Shewillbemine
Boat
Chips N Guac
Congrats on popping your cherry. After a trip like this the least you could do is buy a new fishing shirt and give him a little free advertising around town :)

https://www.lovebilly.com/products/black-billy-tee

Just curious which hook were you using that straightened out on you? Which one did you switch to?

Tight lines
Switched from Mustad Size 2 to Owner 1/0.

He's already getting free advertising. I've already had three people ask for his contact information to book trips LOL

Reactions: vinniethefish

miaf

Well-Known "Member"
Apr 14, 2013
Name
Boat
Great job! Billy is a good guy. Were you ever able to hook a fish on your own and land it or were they all hand offs(not talking about the troll fish)?

Shewillbemine

Oct 19, 2012
California
Name
Shewillbemine
Boat
Chips N Guac
Great job! Billy is a good guy. Were you ever able to hook a fish on your own and land it or were they all hand offs(not talking about the troll fish)?
Good question. My ego hates to admit this, but all of the fish caught on bait were handoffs. Now listen, it's not like we were sitting there for 5 or 10 minutes at a time waiting for the fish to bite and he had 11 bites while I stood there like an idiot. He was catching the fish so darn quickly, that he was literally handing me the rod even though I just put my bait in the water. If I remember correctly, there were a couple of times that my bait got bit after I handed it off to him.

But I won't discount anyting. I was sitting there asking questions and trying to figure out why he had such a better and faster bite than I did. My best guess is that he hired somebody to scuba beneath the boat and put the fish on hooks

robaire

Angler
Jul 22, 2013
Menifee, CA
Name
Robert
Boat
n/a
Very good write up Bro.
Take what you learned, store it in your memory banks and enjoy this great sport.

I'm 53 and still have much to learn. If some jackass says they know it all, fuck him and the website they ride on!!

Robert :cheers:

mboswell

Mike & Katy
Jul 24, 2006
San Diego
Name
Mike and Katy Boswell
Boat
Parker 2320SL, "KATY B"
Great read. I think I need Billy. What's his number?

Tunahead

Long Time Tuna Abused Member
Aug 11, 2006
Costa Mesa
Name
Ron
Boat
several
Solid work guys...nice fish. That's quite a novel!!! LOL
I'm finally off on the BigBird tomorrow night!

Last edited:

Rabid Fish

Well-Known "Member"
Jun 27, 2004
Southern California
Name
Alex
Boat
26'
Good question. My ego hates to admit this, but all of the fish caught on bait were handoffs. Now listen, it's not like we were sitting there for 5 or 10 minutes at a time waiting for the fish to bite and he had 11 bites while I stood there like an idiot. He was catching the fish so darn quickly, that he was literally handing me the rod even though I just put my bait in the water. If I remember correctly, there were a couple of times that my bait got bit after I handed it off to him.

But I won't discount anyting. I was sitting there asking questions and trying to figure out why he had such a better and faster bite than I did. My best guess is that he hired somebody to scuba beneath the boat and put the fish on hooks
I can tell you the answer right now. He was picking better baits than you.

You'll learn over time how to pick the best bait.

Like, if a farmer handed me a box of baby chicks and told me to pick the best one, I'd probably say they all looked the same. He'd probably instantly pick one up and say this one. It's the same way with bait. I'm sure to a new fishermen, they look like a bunch of identical sardines, but to me, they're not at all and I'll usually take about 10 to as much as 30 seconds watching the bait and selecting the best one. If it's a WFO bite and/or there's some urgency, I'll scoop up the first decent one I see. But usually, I take a little time and pick wisely.

You want to look for a nice light brown or light green color. Obviously red spots or red noses are bad. Baits missing scales are no good. But color's probably the best indicator. Often times the better baits spend more time swimming lower in the bait tank but that doesn't mean the ones that are on top are bad. Even the best ones come to the top.

When you buy a scoop of bait, you can generally tell how good the bait is by how much of it goes to the bottom of the tank (more = better) and by how many scales they shed (more = worse).

I wish there was some picture online of a tank of sardines where you could see the difference between the light and dark ones, but just take note next time you buy bait. Look in the tank for a minute, and see if you can spot the "blonde" baits. They'll be harder to catch than the bad ones!

Hope this helps some