surfcowboy

Sep 28, 2009
Matagorda
Name
William
Boat
30ft, Proline, Hooked For Life
Hey guys

Just a couple of questions. If you guys were putting a team together for a billfish tournament. what skill requirements would you like your team members to have?

Look forward to hearing from you guys.

surfcowboy

Sep 28, 2009
Matagorda
Name
William
Boat
30ft, Proline, Hooked For Life
what about experience wise?

here's a small list i have started. see if i'm on the right track.

· Years of fishing experience._________________________________________________

· Trolling experience.________________________________________________________

· Can the person set a trolling spread?__________________________________________

· Does the person know how to rig trolling lure/baits?_____________________________

· Can the person set and operate the spread by himself?___________________________

?? fisherman

super Captain
Feb 27, 2003
Soul Cal
www.sandiegofishing.com
Name
Mike
Boat
Kencraft CC
What kind of Marlin are you talking about, because that's a huge factor.

Striped marlin fishing is entirely different than fishing for Blues & Blacks.

The unknown fisherman:p:

Last edited:
Reactions: willsurf02

DavidM

Well-Known "Member"
Feb 26, 2006
Orewa, New Zealand
Name
Dave
Boat
Warrick 44 Sportfisher
1) A skipper who knows the area and target species. He won't just be driving around the ocean waiting for a bite, he will be working out where the fish are most likely to be
2) A wireman who knows how to leader a fish properly
3) A crew member (could be the wireman) who knows how to rig baits, lures, and set a spread for the boat you are on
4) Anglers who know how to wind properly on the target fish

If you have 1), 2) and 3), you can probably have 4) as the guy with the fat wallet as long as they will listen to the crew's advice. A good video guy is always welcome on my boat as well.

Reactions: Larmo

makairaa

I've posted enough I should edit this section
May 1, 2005
Tustin CA
Name
Philip Hunkins
Boat
17 starcraft
You guys forgot to mention a crew member who has good eyes and can stand for hours with a set of binoculars to his face without getting inatentive.
I was about to say patience

Reactions: Larmo

lowprofile

Dec 11, 2011
SoCal
Name
chris
Boat
Sold it
Rigging skirts

Rigging lures

Getting lures to run properly/ set a spread. Sometimes....most of the time that 2nd and 3rd wake crap doesn't work. Especially with a good swell or wind.

Everyone should know how to leader and grab a fish.

People who don't look at fishing as a time to drink and kick back. Atleast for large game fishing.

Atleast two people who can serve and splice lines and are on the same page when it comes to technique and knots.

Everyone should know how to crimp wire and mono.

Bridling small mackerel and rigging mullet and ballyhoo

Someone good at catching bait (a good vertical jigger because sometimes the skips and yft are deep).

Everyone should be able to work a fish stand up. Without a harness and if you do start targeting large Marlin everyone should know how to use a harness and be able to move around the boat with ease.

Similar taste in music

Someone who likes and is good at cooking on a propane stove/bbq.

And a captain.

IMO everyone should be well rounded by the time you get to a tournament. You never know what might happen. Your rod guy could be taking a crap when a fish strikes, the leader man might be the guy that gets the rod. You could run into wahoo and have half your spread cut off or severely chaffed and need several leaders rigged asap. (Also keep double of all your proven lures rigged). Conditions change rapidly and you want atleast 2 or 3 guys to man reels and get your spread back to life.

kerncat

Apr 2, 2005
San Diego area
Name
Opos
Boat
Gone to a new keeper
One thing I didn't see is "experience"...you can read and talk a good story but the history of your fishing and who you fished with can be really important....as well as all the other stuff