trlrtrsh67

Porch Honkey
Nov 22, 2007
Running Springs
Name
Rich
Boat
14' Gregor / IMP 220 Sportsman WA
Looking for material suggestions on bilge and bait tank plumbing. I've got a mixture of vinyl braided tubing and a ton of sch. 40 pvc pipe and slip fittings. I would like to go with the braided vinyl tube and eliminate all of the glue joints/ possible leak points below deck. Is this vinyl tubing a good idea or would something like rubber heater hose be a better idea or something else? Thank You

tuna sniffer

SD '63
Jun 16, 2005
La Mesa
Name
Mark
Boat
1 tin 1 glass
Braided vinyl works well. Don't know why you would use PVC fittings. Buy bronze, it will last as long as the boat, won't crack, and best suited to the marine environment.

zd583

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jul 2, 2013
Menifee, CA
Name
Freddy
Boat
Boston whaler Outrage 17,Maycraft 1900
The vinyal braid they sell at west marine or lows works fine. Just make sure to secure it correctly and you will be fine. Don't do what my brother did. He was using different kinds of tubing. Long story short is that his boat was filled with like 50 gallons of water at the end of the day!!

Bondrvr

GOT A CUSTOM ROD FOR MY WIFE,,,,GREAT TRADE
Feb 12, 2010
Chula Vista
Name
mike
Boat
'99 Albemarle 280XF- Bubba Jean 28; Livingston LV-14 -BABY J
If you use plastic fittings, be safe, use MARELON not PVC.

Reactions: goatram

trlrtrsh67

Porch Honkey
Nov 22, 2007
Running Springs
Name
Rich
Boat
Ok then I'm going with the braided vinyl. The plan is to have a single run from pump to thru-hull and tank to thru-hull and eliminate all of those glue joints/restrictions to flow. Just wanted to make sure that tube was the right choice...thanks again!

sickcat

Silverback
Aug 5, 2003
LA
Name
Kerry
Boat
Yellow spot
A PVC valve to regulate flow on the bait tank would be about all the hard PVC I want to see. Not good below the waterline. The re-enforced flex vinyl is fine for bilge and bait.

yoursistersboyfriend

Well-Known "Member"
Jun 26, 2014
Name
Scott
Boat
Grady White 208 walkaround
Make sure you have a shut off ball valve at your through hulls if they are below the water line and double clamp your hose connections as well.

sickcat

Silverback
Aug 5, 2003
LA
Name
Kerry
Boat
Yellow spot
Make sure you have a shut off ball valve at your through hulls if they are below the water line and double clamp your hose connections as well.
Sure its just semantics and I mean no offense but a seacock on the thru-hull is the way to go. No HD ball valves please ! :D

trlrtrsh67

Porch Honkey
Nov 22, 2007
Running Springs
Name
Rich
Boat
Stainless ball valve is at the pickup for the bait tank before the pump. All other thru hulls are above the water line. Thanks for the input you all, appreciated!

mahi

Jan 5, 2005
laguna niguel
Name
Bob
Boat
Henriques 28 Express
No low spots in the discharge from the pump. You do not want an air lock.

sickcat

Silverback
Aug 5, 2003
LA
Name
Kerry
Boat
Yellow spot
Thanks, luckily it's all uphill from the pump to the tank. Anybody have opinions on the cheaper "corrugated" bilge hose?
Don't use it on anything other than drains that are well above the waterline. Reduces flow and its not particularly tough.

plj46

Jan 7, 2008
Socal
Name
john
Boat
24 ft grady white
Thanks, luckily it's all uphill from the pump to the tank. Anybody have opinions on the cheaper "corrugated" bilge hose?
Key word,cheaper.Use the vinyl reinforced hose it will last longer.That corrugated stuff tends to split and then you end up pumping bilge water back into the bilge.

historic

Oct 29, 2003
3 Rivers
Name
Jack
Boat
2459 Trophy "Driftwood"
Looking for material suggestions on bilge and bait tank plumbing. I've got a mixture of vinyl braided tubing and a ton of sch. 40 pvc pipe and slip fittings. I would like to go with the braided vinyl tube and eliminate all of the glue joints/ possible leak points below deck. Is this vinyl tubing a good idea or would something like rubber heater hose be a better idea or something else? Thank You
From the Defender Marine website - the reinforced PVC hose is not recommended for below the waterline installations:
Description

Trident Reinforced PVC Tubing is designed for pressurized drinking water systems, etc.

Features:
  • FDA Approved for Potable Water
  • No taste, no odor
  • 2 Year Warranty
Specifications:

• Dimensions: 3/4" Diameter
  • Material: FDA compounded PVC
  • Color: Clear with Blue and Red tracer
  • Tolerance: 20° F - 150° F Operating Temperature Range
Note: Not recommended for below-the-waterline thru-hull connections.

This material would be a better choice but it costs 3 bucks a foot instead of 2 for 3/4" size:

Trident Heavy Duty Engine Intake Water and Heater Hose is designed for a multitude of uses.

Features:
  • Can be used for:
    • Engine water
    • Bilge
    • Bait box
    • Air conditioner circulation and ice box
    • Sink and shower drain lines
  • Two spiral wall construction
  • Cost effective materials
  • Resists sea water, mild chemicals, coolants, ozone and most temperature extremes
  • 2 Year warranty
Specifications:
  • Material: Hi Temp, EPDM rubber - polyester reinforced
  • Color: Black
  • Tolerance: 200 PSI
  • Exceeds SAE J20R3
  • Sold by the foot

trlrtrsh67

Porch Honkey
Nov 22, 2007
Running Springs
Name
Rich
Boat
From the Defender Marine website - the reinforced PVC hose is not recommended for below the waterline installations:
Description

Trident Reinforced PVC Tubing is designed for pressurized drinking water systems, etc.

Features:
  • FDA Approved for Potable Water
  • No taste, no odor
  • 2 Year Warranty
Specifications:

• Material: FDA compounded PVC
  • Color: Clear with Blue and Red tracer
  • Tolerance: 20° F - 150° F Operating Temperature Range
Note: Not recommended for below-the-waterline thru-hull connections.

This material would be a better choice but it costs 3 bucks a foot instead of 2 for 3/4" size:

Trident Heavy Duty Engine Intake Water and Heater Hose is designed for a multitude of uses.

Features:
  • Can be used for:
    • Engine water
    • Bilge
    • Bait box
    • Air conditioner circulation and ice box
    • Sink and shower drain lines
  • Two spiral wall construction
  • Cost effective materials
  • Resists sea water, mild chemicals, coolants, ozone and most temperature extremes
  • 2 Year warranty
Specifications:
  • Material: Hi Temp, EPDM rubber - polyester reinforced
  • Color: Black
  • Tolerance: 200 PSI
  • Exceeds SAE J20R3
  • Sold by the foot

I like the sound of that stuff, I think I may run that from the bait tank pump to the tank and the vinyl for all the others. Thanks for the tip!

historic

Oct 29, 2003
3 Rivers
Name
Jack
Boat
2459 Trophy "Driftwood"
I like the sound of that stuff, I think I may run that from the bait tank pump to the tank and the vinyl for all the others. Thanks for the tip!
You are welcome, have fun with the project and double clamp where you can!