Jul 6, 2016
airzon
Name
fahardt
Boat
captain
hello fishermen!

its been over 30 yrs since i've fished southern cal

going out of dana point on a twilight trip and need some suggestions for catching a few bass

at my age, i just enjoy fishing the catchin will be a bonus

i'm bringing a med weight casting rig with 14lb test

what's the bite, the baits, etc that i should be using??

much appreciate all your help!

be safe, wise, and happy!

Upvote 0

finishright

May 17, 2008
Oceanside Ca.
Name
Mike Morris
Boat
prowler kayak
size 2 hook 10-15 lb line if they have chovies use the live bait if not get some small lead heads and 3-5" swimbaits check with the landing see what they recommend
have fun

Upvote 0

Blackfish

Marble collector.
Sep 20, 2005
My Backyard
Name
Boat
toy
Hi, and welcome to BD's.

Out of Dana Point, the bait will be eaither chovies or sardines. Chovies are best for bass, and if thy have dines, hope they have the smaller size.

A #2 hook with a 1/4 oz. sliding egg sinker would be the standard set up.

Your light gear is ok, but if you get into something with any shoulders, you are going to have a hard time keeping it out of the kelp or structure. If you can get a hold of a 20 lb set up, take it as well.

They may also use white jig heads with cut squid bait.

You can also you artificial, like hammer swimbaits. Stop by Hogans Bait and Tackle, right there in Dana Point, right off the 5 and PCH, and they can set you up with the right terminal tackle, and lures that are best for the local bass.

Upvote 0

Wahoover

Almost A Member
Jan 5, 2005
Laguna Niguel
Name
jack snipe
Boat
Long Range
Great advice above ^^^
Went fishing out of DP on July 4th - they had decent chovies for bait and some really big Sardines. Go with a #2 hook for the chovies and a 1/8-3/8 oz sliding egg sinker. It was wide open Calicos on the zoom flukes and blams (mostly shorts - but fun!) I like a 1/4 oz green leadhead for the plastics, but yellow, white, red all worked. As stated above, go to Hogans Bait & tackle first and let them set you up with the right stuff. Good luck have fun.

Upvote 0

scbassmaster

twin22s
Sep 8, 2006
san clemente
Name
Brian
Boat
"I'm in the market, as it were" - Jack Sparrow
#2 Live bait hook with a 1/4 or even 3/8 slider if the mackerel are thick.
I fish mostly plastics like a 4" big hammer brown/orange, but any 3-5" soft plastic should work pretty well.
If you notice you aren't getting bit or are catching a lot of shorts or macks cast to a little bit different spot or move to another spot on the boat. I fished on the reel fun last weekend and watched the guy in the opposite corner pull in 4 keepers up to 5lbs while I was only catching shorts and macks. The big ones seem to be right in the thickest kelp about 20 ft down.

Upvote 0

hardtfa

Jul 6, 2016
airzon
Name
fahardt
Boat
captain
Thanks for all the helpful hints! Bite wasn't all that great, but we caught a few. You're tips were very useful and the information you all provide was RIGHT ON!

Upvote 0