Northeastfshman

I see OJ
  • Dec 20, 2008
    San Clemente
    Name
    Brett Weinberg
    Boat
    Parker 2120SCDV
    Not to mention when the cost of gas goes through the roof in the near future, and those big boat payments just keep coming...

I mean gas is still less than it was before the Pandemic and these boats started becoming popular before that.

To me they are the ideal format for our BFT fishery today but that's it.

Once it goes back to bait or squid or overnight that's when these don't make a ton of sense.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

makairaa

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    May 1, 2005
    Tustin CA
    Name
    Philip Hunkins
    Boat
    17 starcraft
    To each their own. If there is a market people will come.

Good for Brandon and crew.

Sure would be nice zipping around in that boat. But I really dont mind the slow go boats. These trips arnt all about fishing for me.

Imagine the depreciation too! Smart book keeping could make it pay off in short order.
    With a 2 to 3 year wait list for new boats depreciation is not what you would think on used ones.

Upvote 0

One_Leg

Ret. Comm. Diver Medic
    May 11, 2007
    You're mined!
    www.csicop.org
    Name
    Alan
    Boat
    1967 Cobia Cuddy Cabin/Evinrude Looper
    Are those rod holders or cup holders on Buffet's boat?

Sure are a lot of em.

8D0B4B4A-C8C3-4D87-A71F-B8EA563A5622.jpeg

Reactions: Blackfish
    Upvote 0
    Jan 3, 2017
    COSTA MESA
    Name
    Hank
    Boat
    Small raft
    let’s face it - fishing has became more popular, dare I say mainstream - catching big tuna is considered the pinnacle of fishing by some (I still think yellow tail on a surface iron and is my fav) and even if the BFT don’t come back to so cal - there will be guys who would pay to fish CAT in the AM and SCI in the afternoon and be home for happy hour. The Freeman charter business isn’t going anywhere soon.

Upvote 0

sydleier

Aug 19, 2012
    Playa del Rey
    Name
    Sydney Leier
    Boat
    23' cc Mary Esther
    Still have to load lighter than a 20-knot boat. Our bait doesn't hold up very well in most of the East Coast boats.
    The only go fast that really has it down for West Coast without heavy modification is Mag Bay.
    Both go fast we have owned took over a year of tweaking to hold a scoop or two. Pickups on backwards, loop in water lines, modification of tanks to make the water swirl top to bottom, exit out bottom, baffles, etc.
    Good thing the bluefin are eating dead baits. If albacore comes back or even wanting to fish small yellowfin and chumming power is needed, I'd rather take a slow boat with a huge bait tank. Just my opinion.
    Actually the pressurized bait tanks on a freeman hold bait as well or better than most west coast style tanks when both are tuned properly.

Reactions: Jason
    Upvote 0

california2

Jan 29, 2011
    N. OC
    Name
    cali
    Boat
    boat
    Into the depths' 34' yellowfin is $3750. Hopefully some good market competition brings these prices down. Especially bights $5500

Upvote 0

ratboy

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Nov 18, 2006
    sc
    Name
    jason
    Boat
    katie sea
    Into the depths' 34' yellowfin is $3750. Hopefully some good market competition brings these prices down. Especially bights $5500
    Not sure why so many folks care what people are charging? Nobody is forcing anyone to charter a boat and plenty of folks in ca have lots of money to spend. Not everyone wants to be stuck on a boat with 25 other people.

Upvote 0

DOGHOUSE26

Feb 22, 2004
    Escondido, CA
    Name
    jeff meeker
    Boat
    26 Blackman Billfisher
    How many days a year can you fly out to the tuna grounds at 60 miles doing 50 miles an hour ? They’re not gonna leave in the middle of the night and do 50 miles an hour in the dark . They’d have to leave at daybreak and get there by 8 o’clock if they could do the 50. And what about a rough or semi-rough day when the swell is pretty big and close together the clients will take a beating and probably won’t even want to fish by the time they get out there . This isn’t Florida our waters are totally different I say good luck with that hope you can make the payment.

Reactions: I hate seals
    Upvote 0

Husband

RIP ANDY - 1983-2009
    May 12, 2009
    Mission Viejo
    Name
    Tim
    Boat
    28 Parker
    How many days a year can you fly out to the tuna grounds at 60 miles doing 50 miles an hour ? They’re not gonna leave in the middle of the night and do 50 miles an hour in the dark . They’d have to leave at daybreak and get there by 8 o’clock if they could do the 50. And what about a rough or semi-rough day when the swell is pretty big and close together the clients will take a beating and probably won’t even want to fish by the time they get out there . This isn’t Florida our waters are totally different I say good luck with that hope you can make the payment.

Pretty sure the Freeman can chew up the crap weather..

Upvote 0

TAPOUT

Sep 17, 2004
    San Diego
    Name
    Erik
    Boat
    Cabo 48 FB "Outlaw", Yellowfin 26 Hybrid "Boomer"
    The cost to legitimately run one of these operations is considerable. I know, I co-own one with my Son. (LuckyBsportfishing.com) The boat, property tax, Coastwise documentation, commercial passenger insurance, (more for high horsepower, fast boats), Port and Landing fees, maintenance every 100-150 hours on double or triples, upgrades, Captain and deckhand fees, F&G licenses, etc.... It all ads up. Costs vary based on what margins you desire and what debt you are servicing. Also, these boats are fast, but the window for 40 plus knots is small based on swell duration on our coast, but when the opportunity presents itself, it nice to be able to run from the San Clemente BFT zone to SD in 1.5 hours!

Upvote 0

Ali

Master of Nothing
    Admin
    Apr 24, 2003
    San Diego
    Name
    That Guy
    Boat
    SeaVee 340Z
    So much hearsay and misinformation here that guys have picked up second hand.

1. Nobody consistently runs 50 kts. here or elsewhere except for in the Mississippi river and on the rare, sheet glass day. Most of these boats will run 30-40 kts depending on direction and conditions. The ride these boats offer is hard to imagine until you've experienced it. Many boats can run 40 kts. plus. Not many can do it running into 2-4 seas (and much bigger if quartering).

2. Costs - These boats are NOT cheap to own. My insurance alone is INSANE due to the # of motors and HP. Owning 3+ motors isn't cheap. Fuel burn is actually pretty reasonable at 1 MPG for a boat this size and the speed you're traveling.

3. After a ton of tweaking, my tanks hold bait really well. I'd say about 80% as well as a dedicated Pacific Edge or Bluewater tank. Difference is, we're going twice as fast as most other boats and you're going to beat bait up twice as bad. Despite how well the boats ride, you're still hauling ass and bouncing plenty. If I'm going for smaller fish where we use a ton of chum, I will slow the boat down for the ride out to keep the bait pristine.

To me, the biggest benefit of these big Center Consoles is TIME, RIDE and FISHABILITY. We can catch fish from any boat but time is something you just can't buy. I stay crazy busy and the ability to leave in the AM, catch a few really nice fish and be home for dinner is about priceless.

The ride allows you to save time by traveling faster and the fishability allows you to catch multiple fish at once. We routinely hang doubles on big fish and at times as many as 4 going at once.

Here's the pros and cons as I see them.

Pros - Speed, Ride, Fishability, Low maintenance, Not a lot of systems to break, etc.

Downsides? Can't store gear on board. No cabin. No head (on mine). No coffee maker. Cold.

After four seasons of running these boats I can honestly say they aren't going away on our coast. I think you will continue to see more and more of these boats appear in our waters. For the currently big bluefin and swordfish cycle, they really are about the best boat you could ask for.

Upvote 0

ratboy

Nov 18, 2006
    sc
    Name
    jason
    Boat
    katie sea
    So much hearsay and misinformation here that guys have picked up second hand.

1. Nobody consistently runs 50 kts. here or elsewhere except for in the Mississippi river and on the rare, sheet glass day. Most of these boats will run 30-40 kts depending on direction and conditions. The ride these boats offer is hard to imagine until you've experienced it. Many boats can run 40 kts. plus. Not many can do it running into 2-4 seas (and much bigger if quartering).

2. Costs - These boats are NOT cheap to own. My insurance alone is INSANE due to the # of motors and HP. Owning 3+ motors isn't cheap. Fuel burn is actually pretty reasonable at 1 MPG for a boat this size and the speed you're traveling.

3. After a ton of tweaking, my tanks hold bait really well. I'd say about 80% as well as a dedicated Pacific Edge or Bluewater tank. Difference is, we're going twice as fast as most other boats and you're going to beat bait up twice as bad. Despite how well the boats ride, you're still hauling ass and bouncing plenty. If I'm going for smaller fish where we use a ton of chum, I will slow the boat down for the ride out to keep the bait pristine.

To me, the biggest benefit of these big Center Consoles is TIME, RIDE and FISHABILITY. We can catch fish from any boat but time is something you just can't buy. I stay crazy busy and the ability to leave in the AM, catch a few really nice fish and be home for dinner is about priceless.

The ride allows you to save time by traveling faster and the fishability allows you to catch multiple fish at once. We routinely hang doubles on big fish and at times as many as 4 going at once.

Here's the pros and cons as I see them.

Pros - Speed, Ride, Fishability, Low maintenance, Not a lot of systems to break, etc.

Downsides? Can't store gear on board. No cabin. No head (on mine). No coffee maker. Cold.

After four seasons of running these boats I can honestly say they aren't going away on our coast. I think you will continue to see more and more of these boats appear in our waters. For the currently big bluefin and swordfish cycle, they really are about the best boat you could ask for.
    Thanks for posting! Waiting for my invite wink wink! The only cons I see is me affording it otherwise all pros especially ramming mammals at 60kts in the dark.

Upvote 0

Ali

Master of Nothing
    Admin
    Apr 24, 2003
    San Diego
    Name
    That Guy
    Boat
    SeaVee 340Z
    Thanks for posting! Waiting for my invite wink wink! The only cons I see is me affording it otherwise all pros especially ramming mammals at 60kts in the dark.

Anytime buddy, just get in my ear when the good fishign starts and we'll do it.

Upvote 0