Offshore Bight Sportfishing Finds Quality BFT 6/10/22

Highwayman

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Jun 25, 2015
    Name
    Sammy
    Boat Name
    Party Boats and Skiff
    I jumped on the Bight Sportfishing Freeman with a friend and three others, the trip was an open charter out of Fisherman’s Landing. Jake was the skipper, a proven performer. We all brought gear though as it tuns out all the fish were caught on the boat gear.
    We boarded at about 8am +/- to head south to the area being fished by the SD fleet. The trip was an 8am to 8pm. We arrived at the grounds in about an hour, there was fish boiling and we threw poppers and snipers for nada. I did have one blow up on my popper but it didn’t stick. When the fish sunk out the skipper pulled out the hot trolling lures and dropped them back, wayyy back. Within thirty minutes we boated the first fish, about 110lbs per the skipper. The next hookup happened in about 15 minutes but the fish bit through. It wasn’t long before another similar fish was boated though by the unfortunate angler. We were fishing a rotation on the troll so I was up. We trolled for another 30 minutes and I thought I was out of luck when the reel clicker went off. It was obvious immediately this was a bigger fish. It was a back and forth for a while, the 100 feet of leader being gained and lost when the fish was straight up and down. Eventually I got the fish to gaff and we boated the 200+ pound BFT. High fives all around and off we went. We trolled for the balance of the day and dropped jigs or threw poppers when we were in spots marking fish. Everyone got fish including the fisherman the broke off 4 times, before we headed in. The skipper wanted him to get one so he stayed in the rotation until he got one.
    The three fisherman that I just met all got their PB. I got an ice chest jugged with BFT. Another great trip on the Bight Freeman with Jake finding the biters.

5D6A27B3-F56A-46F1-966B-AF6F0C215FC1.jpeg

99A85D49-6A75-495C-8B02-4A424A00E979.jpeg

403EF43A-C2C5-4513-9790-0EF505F4ED39.jpeg

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

Mr GreenJeans

Aug 23, 2006
    Irvine
    Name
    David
    Boat Name
    Kayak
    So what were the hot trolling lures?

The private boaters have been hooking up by trolling way back and I’ve been wondering when the sport fleet would find some trolling lure that worked.

Upvote 0

Highwayman

• Jun 25, 2015
    Name
    Sammy
    Boat Name
    Party Boats and Skiff
    So what were the hot trolling lures?

The private boaters have been hooking up by trolling way back and I’ve been wondering when the sport fleet would find some trolling lure that worked.
    It was a trolling plug and the troll speed was about 13 knots. I took a photo but I think it is on my Bros. phone. Truth be told I was a little skeptical but that’s why Jake is the Skipper. I will look for the actual lure.

Upvote 0

Highwayman

• Jun 25, 2015
    Name
    Sammy
    Boat Name
    Party Boats and Skiff
    View attachment 1392510
    Joggle your memory at all?

Any of those fish go "MOO" after being caught? Awesome quality of fish.

How was the Freeman? Does it have seatbelts? @Highwayman
    Fourth from the right was one of them. Not so funny thing is I almost left my ice chest at home thinking 40 to 80lbers I can just use my bros. But I decided to throw it in just in case. The first boil where we started fishing I was throwing a popper on a light stick. A biggun came up and crashed it over the top and missed. I can still see that, it was awesome. I was probably lucky it missed…..The skipper calls out that’s a bigger grade, why did you miss :-)

Upvote 0

Highwayman

• Jun 25, 2015
    Name
    Sammy
    Boat Name
    Party Boats and Skiff
    View attachment 1392510
    Joggle your memory at all?

Any of those fish go "MOO" after being caught? Awesome quality of fish.

How was the Freeman? Does it have seatbelts? @Highwayman
    The Freeman is an awesome boat. We cruised for an hour to get to the fishing grounds and back. Super sweet ride, stable and wide. I definitely wear warm gear due To the wind traveling as we do. Take off your hat. I am the guy on the left missing his hat.

39B82B62-EFF6-4700-9FD2-173267FAAC17.jpeg

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

Highwayman

• Jun 25, 2015
    Name
    Sammy
    Boat Name
    Party Boats and Skiff
    The leader we fished was 100lb. It felt like mono, I didn’t ask. Trolling is a reaction bite of sorts so the advantage would be abrasion resistance. I couldn’t go sunset and horse it in because of that. I thought a heavier leader might be better, but he is the skipper and it’s his equipment, we caught fish. Maybe the light leader and the long distance drop back were the keys to success. We did lose 2 jigs getting bit off at strike. I imagine they inhaled the jig and chewed through the leader, just a guess.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

Highwayman

• Jun 25, 2015
    Name
    Sammy
    Boat Name
    Party Boats and Skiff
    0607F9AE-99ED-49AE-9AD9-E8790880F52F.jpeg
    Nice fish, but for $825 a person,
    I don’t need to know Jake,
    That’s way out of my budget .
    $895 + tip. per person. Pricey indeed but I got one in the 300lb category and a handful of cows last year. First trip this year is a cow, if only by the luck of the draw. I have always been a little lucky. I am now lucky to know Jake AND Wes. I understand what you are saying though. Good luck this year no matter who you fish with or how…
    PS they throw a ride in this fishing machine, no extra cost!

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

jer dog

Fishing is life
    Jun 22, 2006
    Garden Grove
    Name
    Gerry
    Boat Name
    One that floats
    $895 + tip. per person. Pricey indeed but I got one in the 300lb category and a handful of cows last year. First trip this year is a cow, if only by the luck of the draw. I have always been a little lucky. I am now lucky to know Jake AND Wes. I understand what you are saying though. Good luck this year no matter who you fish with or how…
    I have talked to Brandon a lot of times
    About WSB, and them trips I’m interested in.

Reactions: Highwayman
    Upvote 0