Elkfins

Ungrateful Prick
Aug 8, 2008
Tacoma, WA
Name
Steve
Boat
"Cleanup Required" '99 Grady White 232 Gulfstream
Was outside of makah bay 15-20 years ago in my 19' glasply and the other boats including antenna would completely disappear for several seconds behind the waves as they rolled through. I figure 10 - 12 feet from the bottom of the trough to the top of the roller... With about a 25-30 second period in between waves.
Made for an interesting run back in through the slot that afternoon.

Reactions: DaveO
Upvote 0

KimH

Someday I'll live the dream.
Mar 4, 2009
Tacoma/Westport WA/USA
Name
Kim
Boat
28' Farallon Walkaround "Paragon"
Ehhhh...Middle of the Gulf of Ak in November on the way home for shipyard. Trying to make Dixon Entrance so I could run the inside as we had a bunch of pre-prep work to do for the upcoming shipyard. Couldn't do it as the course gave too much side sea so I had to square up the stern to it and let it take us where it wanted for a couple days. I didn't even want to turn around and jog as I didn't want to get side to with the turn. Sea finally backed off so we were able to duck in behind Vancouver Island for about a day of run time work before we got to the Dakota Creek shipyard.

Anyway the seas were at least 50' if not larger. 210' boat with a tall aft gantry. Sea was quite a bit taller than that. Tough to get any sleep at night.

Upvote 0

Salmon King

I Should Upgrade My Account
Mar 29, 2013
Everett, WA, USA
Name
Tim
Boat
Salmon King 21' Custom Pilothouse
20+

North coast of Kauai after a massive winter storm. The area I was staying lost a bunch of 100 plus year old eucalyptus trees. Several $10M houses in Hanelei Bay were collapsed into the newly relocated beach.

Cool to see humpbacks breaching out in the rough ocean. They didn’t care.

Reactions: DaveO
Upvote 0

marlyn

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • Dec 18, 2005
    So Cal
    Name
    mark
    Boat
    21' skiff and 12' portabote recycled from milk jugs
    Ive seen some monsters at cortes bank 15-20 years or so ago on the Freedom,There were other boats with surfers in the water and film crews there too.Giant swells that turned to waves over the reef and then crashed into a swell again,ballsy MFers to ride that.
    People were saying 50 ft,All i know is it looked big enough to take out the boat i was on easy!

Upvote 0

Hot_Pursuit

Jun 21, 2013
    Seabeck
    Name
    Eric
    Boat
    2022 Pursuit OS325
    We had an officer onboard our submarine who delevoped acute appendicitis. His appendix had already ruptured. We had to do a Helo evacuation off the top of the submarine in state 5 seas off of Kodiak island. 40-50 footers. Submarines don’t do well when surfaced in rough seas. They roll a lot, even on the big subs. We took so much water down the hatch we had opened to get him topside. I was chasing electrical grounds/shorts for a month afterward. He survived, and according to the doc probably only had hours to live when we got him off.

Upvote 0

kwik_wurk

Apr 10, 2012
    Indianola & Browns Point
    Name
    kwik_wurk
    Boat
    Montauk, Sailfish 2360, and Johnson18
    early 2000’s a hurricane forced the USN to send a lot of ships out of Norfolk. (safer at sea than bashing against the piers) Anyways riding out the front side of a hurricane on an unnamed USN vessel/ship was interesting. Wave tops were cresting over the deck, and needless to say that was a long long way up.

When you’re way up on the bridge the amount of motion is amazing.

A lot of young green faces those few days.

FishPimpII

Repowering the boat..
    Jul 27, 2009
    Seattle, Wa
    Name
    Jeff Nelson
    Boat
    255 BW Conquest “Double Header”
    Most of us have never rolled over in a wave. If anyone has expertise on that they should chime in.
    I don’t think I’ve ever seen swells bigger than about 12’ off our coast. A few times between tatoosh and swiftsure the big slow rollers seemed that big but that may be overestimating based on excitement of the moment. Was sure fun to surf down them for minutes at a time on the way in.

kwik_wurk

Apr 10, 2012
    Indianola & Browns Point
    Name
    kwik_wurk
    Boat
    Montauk, Sailfish 2360, and Johnson18
    No rolling on a small powerboat. (Or big power boat for that matter.)

Suffered knock-downs while sailing (racing really). But sailboats are different, usually pop back up, albeit with some level of broken hardware/sails/rigging. If offshore you’re doing headcount and checking for any trauma (cracked heads, broken bones). Then going thru everything, working a checklist looking for cracks/broken stuff, water/fuel/etc, praying all electrical systems are still working. It sucks, big time (in fact miserable).

It’s always the wave you didn’t see, yeah it has to be snotty out, but awkward waves do their thing.

(Lots of coastal and offshore sailing/racing in my family/friends; uncle just did Transpac solo (San Fran. -> Kauai), 2nd time too. But I consider my knowledge and experience nothing compared to him and a few of the commercial friends I have.)

Had a good friend suffer a bad knockdown off ~200 nm Eureka, CA; blew out the cabin windows, busted stuff and lots of water… they abandoned and got helo’d out. (Lucky to be alive). Story was in 48 North ~12-15yrs ago.

About 30yrs ago neighbor rolled his 20’ off Westport trolling the beaches. It was a calm day too, can’t remember if he had engine problem and rolled or just got caught. He and crew were lucky, several people saw them go over and called in quickly.

Last edited:

North River

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Sep 14, 2009
    On the water
    Name
    Rick
    Boat
    26' Duckworth O/S
    Most of us have never rolled over in a wave. If anyone has expertise on that they should chime in.
    I don’t think I’ve ever seen swells bigger than about 12’ off our coast. A few times between tatoosh and swiftsure the big slow rollers seemed that big but that may be overestimating based on excitement of the moment. Was sure fun to surf down them for minutes at a time on the way in.

A few years ago coming back from Swiftsure we ran across some rollers that had to be 10-12’. Seemed like we were looking down a mile from on top of them in my Duckworth

Upvote 0

koopa

Arima Adventures
    Feb 3, 2018
    Puget sound
    Name
    Koopa
    Boat
    Arima
    I think some here are trying to be to modest for whatever reason. I have seen some large swells off Wada/Tatoosh. Today (later in the day) there is a 14’ swell forecasted for the Western Entrance to the strait.

Reactions: EJ Swanny
    Upvote 0
    Sep 4, 2017
    Gig Harbor, Washington
    Name
    Woody
    Boat
    Duckworth XL 30
    I was first mate on a 107' Christiansen in 1997. Fresh out of college, not sure what to do so I signed up to crew on this yacht. Good gig except for the gnarly ride down the coast in November.

We brought the boat down from Portland to Astoria in early to mid November, stuck in Astoria for 4 days because the bar was closed, and then it dropped enough for us to jump out and head south. That night as we steamed south, about 50 miles offshore, the next front hit (forecasting wasn't nearly as good back then) and it got rough. Winds were gusting 75-80mph. Seas were around 20 feet. I went up to the bridge after a while and checked on the captain. He had the thousand mile stare into the dark and was holding us bow into the seas. I said, "how big are these waves?!?" He side glanced at me, said, "hit the search light, take a look." I flipped the switch and from the bridge I was looking straight at a wave face. The bridge on that yacht was decently high up. The only word that came out of my mouth was "Jesus..." I stood there for a full minute, absorbing the reality in front of me, holding onto the rail as we plunged into the abyss of each trough before rising back up for the next. The captain, waiting to see my reaction, finally said, "you gonna be alright?" "yes." "Good, then flip off that damn light, its killing my night vision." Light off. Back to the roller coaster ride in the dark. I went up and checked the gumby suits. The boat shook with every drop, but it held together. Things calmed down the following evening and I took over on the bridge and the captain finally got off the wheel and had a well deserved sleep. Bob's 24 hours of focus was a herculean effort.. Watching him taught me a lot.

I was a younger surfer and sailor but that night gave me a perspective I have not experienced since.

Upvote 0

EJ Swanny

Three Generations of Uff-Dah
    Nov 30, 2010
    Redondo/WA
    Name
    Erik
    Boat
    "Riley-J" 2006 21' Proline Tourney
    I think some here are trying to be to modest for whatever reason. I have seen some large swells off Wada/Tatoosh. Today (later in the day) there is a 14’ swell forecasted for the Western Entrance to the strait.

Yeah, I'm not sure either, maybe there are some measuring differences, or they don't want people to call BS. When you post on this POS board, it comes with the territory......you're all frikin heathens :finger:

One site I read quoted from "measures the wave from that point to the average sea level", the other reads "Swell height is measured from the very lowest point (trough) to the very top height of the swell".

When I state 10-15" it is from the trough to the maximum height of the swell. Not sure if wind chop on top of the swell counts as well../...

Oh BTW, here is Tuesday's NOAA forecast for CQ, I'm sure their full of shit....

TUE
    W wind 10 to 20 kt. Wind waves 1 to 3 ft. W swell 15 ft at
    14 seconds subsiding to 13 ft at 13 seconds in the afternoon.
    Showers likely in the morning. A slight chance of tstms. A chance
    of showers in the afternoon.

Upvote 0

tacklejacked

Capt./ Ho if I get to drive
    Jun 2, 2009
    Seabeck
    Name
    Greg
    Boat
    22 Hewescraft Searunner ET HT
    Just go tuna fishing this weekend...should give ya something to talk about

Screenshot_20211020-063254.png

• Haha
    Reactions: ShiverMeTimbersPNW
    Upvote 0

Captain Decent

The Bert makes ‘em Squirt
    Nov 2, 2017
    Covington, wa
    Name
    Ryan
    Boat
    The Bert Makes ’em Squirt
    I have no idea if it was the biggest waves I've ever seen or if it was my perspective but the first time I ever went on the ocean still seem in my mind to be the biggest. I was running an 18ft Markell osprey. 140hp evinrude, mercury 15hp tiller. No GPS.

I didn't know anything about bars or tides or noaa or swells or any of that bullshit. Launch was empty and lights were flashing. Learned later the bar was closed.

Headed out straight west to 220 fow. I remember climbing up what seemed like huge swell and then dropping off the back. Sometimes a crab buoy was in the trough which made things interesting. Couldn't stand up to fish. Crawling around the dexk and whatnot. Caught a limit of kings though.

Fog rolled in. Couldbt see shit. Headed back in and tried to compensate for drift. Nailed it. Got lucky and came right up on the south jetty like a pro.

I recall seeing my first sunfish in the swell and losing my shit. Thought it was some kind of once in a lifetime moment.
    Found out later the bar was closed and 12 footers.

I'm sure I've seen bigger since. But the waves that day seemed like the ones on perfect storm or deadliest catch to me.

Upvote 0

jasper hickman

Team RED BEARD
    Dec 23, 2014
    Everett
    Name
    jasper
    Boat
    30’ Osprey
    Biggest ocean I I have been on, has to be coming out of Nianiamo in December on the ferry boat around 2004 after a diving trip.

I have no idea how big it was, but I vividly remember as the ship was leaving Vancouver island in the dead on night, heading east and broad side into the weather, waves were smashing the windows on the upper deck lounge area, foam and spray we’re arching over the bow clearing the ship from one side to the other.

Too me it sounded like Thor was hitting the ship with his hammer every time a wave made contact, the ship quickly turned and went with the weather and that made for relatively easy cruise back to the mainland.

Upvote 0