tuner

pysgotwyr
  • May 24, 2006
    Huntington Beach
    Name
    Steve
    Boat
    260 Mackinaw
    100lb Opah. Caught on Avet MXL, 50lb PP, 30lb Premier, Point Wilson dart, at the 14

20141114_143125_zpspu7itv9e.jpg

Reactions: terryc.
    Upvote 0

Elkhitman

Apr 25, 2012
    Name
    Bryan
    Boat
    No boat.
    Nice fish guys.

MXJ with 30lb PP, I caught a 180lb Sturgeon
    SX with 30lb PP, 120lb Sturgeon

Upvote 0

alka144

Dec 15, 2011
    MAGNOLIA
    Name
    zach
    Boat
    Earl
    65lb Amberjack - Avet SX 5.3 MC
    IMG_0093.JPG

50lb Cobia - Avet SX 5.3 MC
    photo-6.JPG

6ft 7in Sandbar Shark - Avet SX 5.3 MC
    IMG_0742.JPG

Reel is still works great, clicker is going out, and the AJ managed get the frame screws to back out, but I still bring it every trip and tear it up with it.

Reactions: Drago and skotz
    Upvote 0

Drago

Almost A Member
    Mar 7, 2015
    Name
    Alex
    Boat
    Any
    It's funny how I started this thread to show a buddy of mine that you don't need an insanely powered reel to catch big fish even if it's deep sea fishing but some of these are just eye popping

Upvote 0

neversink2

Here fishy fishy fishy...
    Oct 9, 2004
    HUNTINGTON BEACH
    Name
    Chris
    Boat
    31' Cabo Express
    Wow, some awesome catches here everyone.

SX 5.3 MC, 35lb Bluefin with 50# braid and 40lb flouro leader for me using a cal star 800L deck hand rod. Wasn't even close to limiting this little reel.

Upvote 0

ReelWhite

Local Hooker
    Jul 18, 2018
    Dana Point
    Name
    Kevin
    Boat
    2660WAC Sailfish
    Only have caught 10-15lb dorado on my sx. It’s a great little reel! My favorites for fly lining live dines and Mack

Upvote 0

2tuna

Feb 21, 2011
    Salinas/CA/USA
    Name
    Craig H
    Boat
    le barge
    120 lb striped marlin on MXL . Was trolling a 2 1/2" purple haze hootchie on straight 25 lb mono, trying to catch bonito to use for strip bait.

Panga captain got to show off his boat handling skills

Reactions: skotz
    Upvote 0

geebee

My Member is Well-Known
    Nov 12, 2016
    San Diego
    Name
    Gee Bee
    Boat
    Partial to AZTEC - aspiring to INTREPID
    90lb bft on a single speed mxj. 30lb test. The reel took a shit the next trip lol

how did that MXJ single speed fail
    how was your reel maintenance

i've got a MXJ Raptor (using it for 50#)
    and thinking of getting a MXL Raptor (for 40-50lb) when they are only biting the lighter line for the increased line capicity
    and wondering if the MX series are prone to failure on 50-70lb class bluefin or if the failures are more maintenance issues
    and if the raptor MX series are any beefier parts (outside of the dual drag) than the nonRaptor

i bought a used MXL single speed that was busted up inside and unfishable, but the photo shows lack of maintenance

a couple nice ones on my MXJ Raptor (65# spectra, 50lb Seaguar fluorocarbon)
    reel performed as expected, not even close to getting spooled

bluefin60.jpg

Bluefin50lbs.jpg

Reactions: Talum15
    Upvote 0

geebee

My Member is Well-Known
    Nov 12, 2016
    San Diego
    Name
    Gee Bee
    Boat
    Partial to AZTEC - aspiring to INTREPID
    how did that MXJ single speed fail
    how was your reel maintenance

...wondering if the MX series are prone to failure on 50-70lb class bluefin or if the failures are more maintenance issues...

going out on a limb here talking to myself - barring any compelling feedback otherwise - but my instinct is that an Avet should not fail or malfunction if properly maintained

commonsense tells me a big fish would spool you before the reel "fails" or parts are damaged if fishing within specs

an obvious problem - as in the case of the infamous Shimano TLD graphite frames breaking during a fight - anglers fish heavier line and drag friction well beyond manufacture's specs and a big one merely damages the weakest part

PS:

that's mostly why i've been buying into the Raptor line for tuna and yoyo jig fishing - offering drag to spare when screwing it down - and possibly beefier engineering to support the higher line ratings

Last edited:
    Upvote 0