Biggest Fish on Avet SX or MX Series

Rude Baits

Mar 22, 2012
SD
Name
Tony
Boat
-
35 lb.+ BFT on an old school SX. There are some impressive catches in this thread. My hats off to you guys.

Upvote 0

Northeastfshman

I see OJ
  • Dec 20, 2008
    San Clemente
    Name
    Brett Weinberg
    Boat
    Parker 2120SCDV
    140lb BFT. 4.5 hours on an Avet MXL this year by the 312.

542702-f901a0f7da7f2df2784bbd2431069f85.jpg

BIG BFT.jpg

Upvote 0

seadragon_1981

Almost A Member
    Sep 4, 2012
    San Diego
    Name
    Ryan
    Boat
    35 lb BFT on my MXJ. Only one I caught on that reel when the ARB blew up half way through the fight. Bought it from a friend who claimed he took care of it

Upvote 0

tanner.s

Fish Slaughterer
    Oct 18, 2012
    San Diego
    Name
    Tanner
    Boat
    1997 Proline 23 W/A
    32-35lb tail depending on the scale who wrapped my 20lb mono on the kelp. Can't believe I landed him. We had two this size on simultaneously on slow trolled deans in LJ.
    794cc4005286d71c5ea4c730fbdb10e2.jpg

Upvote 0

ivane068

Professional hide and seek player..
    May 20, 2010
    San Diego
    Name
    Ivan Esquivel
    Boat
    Parker 2520 Fin Reaper
    Avet MXL: 120lb mako about 2 miles west of mission beach.

Avet SX single speed: 40+ LB YFT about 12 miles west of Carlsbad, but i did have to thumb the crap out of the spool.

Upvote 0

mike1010

Almost A Member
    Feb 17, 2013
    SUMMIT
    Name
    Michael
    Boat
    none
    Sorry about that it was the dog assembly that broke
    Wow. That dog mechanism is very strong. If you can recall the details, I would be interested in hearing them, and I bet Avet would, too. Thanks. I'm going out on a limb to guess that there was a sudden, violent movement taking up backplay, slamming an AR ratchet tooth into the dog.

Mike

Upvote 0

seadragon_1981

Almost A Member
    Sep 4, 2012
    San Diego
    Name
    Ryan
    Boat
    Wow. That dog mechanism is very strong. If you can recall the details, I would be interested in hearing them, and I bet Avet would, too. Thanks. I'm going out on a limb to guess that there was a sudden, violent movement taking up backplay, slamming an AR ratchet tooth into the dog.

Mike
    Loose screw on the dog cover plate caused the plate to break when I was winding down on the fish and it decided it wanted to run again. Turned out it was user error on my friend when he limp wristed screwing everything back together. I decided that it wasn't worth any more future problems that he might have caused and basically gave it away to another friend that loves his MX reels with the knowledge that he would have to go through it all before using

Upvote 0

mike1010

Almost A Member
    Feb 17, 2013
    SUMMIT
    Name
    Michael
    Boat
    none
    Loose screw on the dog cover plate caused the plate to break when I was winding down on the fish and it decided it wanted to run again. Turned out it was user error on my friend when he limp wristed screwing everything back together. I decided that it wasn't worth any more future problems that he might have caused and basically gave it away to another friend that loves his MX reels with the knowledge that he would have to go through it all before using
    Thanks. That was my next guess :->.

Upvote 0

pascuale

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Aug 14, 2004
    San Diego
    Name
    Ethan
    Boat
    3rd world country panga fleet
    90lb bft on a single speed mxj. 30lb test. The reel took a shit the next trip lol
    lol I caught an 80b bluefin on a Torium 20 with 50 braid and 30 topshot. took a shit too, lol.

Upvote 0

SharkBoyEI

Emerald Isle Shark Boy
    Jul 3, 2012
    Shelby
    Name
    Trevor Alexander
    Boat
    Bass Tracker Pro Team 175
    Here we go. This was my first trip out with my mxl. Had the drag buttoned down about as far as I could within factory specs. Caught atleast 20 AJ's this size, one false albacore and had a big wahoo take about 200 yards out within a minute or less before he broke me off of the wreck. Sure was a heck of a day. Needless to say I have had 5 avet reels and am planning to get a good many more. Heck of a piece of art and very easy to disassemble/ maintain.

30wb0vq.jpg

282ovns.jpg

Upvote 0