navy_fish

Freedom to Fish
Aug 3, 2004
Culver city, Ca
Name
Mark
Boat
Float tube or hitchhike
I don't know who get's Pacific Coast Sportfishing mag, but the sept issue has a great article on catching bigeye's. If you don't get it and would like some helpful info go grab a copy.

Upvote 0

FishWiz

I Should Upgrade My Account
Dec 8, 2003
San Diego
Name
GAB
Boat
26' Blackman, The Reel One (SOLD)
I read it. A bit overdone in my opinion. We see Bigeye up within private boat range (50-75 miles) for a few days a year, sometimes. To breakdown an area just outside of the North Coronado Island as 'the spot' and breakdown lures in such detail, just makes for light reading. Althought I did find interest in the fishing after dark comments.

Upvote 0

Katana

Jan 18, 2003
San Diego
Visit site
Name
Paul
Boat
.... the Closer!!!! about fishing the BET.... Wished he was on THE team... :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Upvote 0

Ali

Master of Nothing
Admin
Apr 24, 2003
San Diego
Name
That Guy
Boat
SeaVee 340Z
Actually the last few years have really sucked for bigeye.

We got a good 3 day snap last year, but nothing like normal.

Look at the sportboat counts.

I can remember in years past solid bites lasting for weeks not minutes.

If you listen to guys like Fred Archer, they are here every year. He says we just aren't fishing them right.

Who knows...

Upvote 0

navy_fish

Freedom to Fish
Aug 3, 2004
Culver city, Ca
Name
Mark
Boat
Float tube or hitchhike
I guess for someone like me who hasn't done alot of tuna hunting it seemed like alot of good info. But like everyone says the best way to learn is get out there and do it. And that's what I'm doing.

Upvote 0

BabyGiant

Get bit
Jan 3, 2005
Irvine
Name
Mark
Boat
24' Robalo, REEL TROUBLE
We got three knock downs on BET last year. All on small BK/Prpl Rapalas. First knock down bent the hooks and said bye=bye. Next weekend we got into a gray bite were we landed 3 and lost of few...again one lost to a hook bending back on a troll stick. The rest we landed on 30# bait rods. Biggest pushing 90#'s. We almost landed one on 20# but we chaffed the line half way thru the fight.

Upvote 0

Reel Trouble

SooooPlame
Jan 3, 2005
Tustin, CA
Name
Mr. G
Boat
24' Balo & 18'cc Darth Invader
Just a little info if you are planning on trolling palas for BET, remove the trebles. Both of them and replace with a one single double in the back facing down. Then take some wire and tie it around the shank of the double hook to insure it doesn't fall out. That should hold any BET in our area, if you want a single hook it's tougher cuz of the way it will hang once you swap them. You have to double ring if you want singles, if not then your single will hang sideways and your pala won't run true. Hope this helps those out targeting them, like BG said we learned the hard way last year. Those trebles that got straighten was on the fish that I was fighting, talk about hurt feelings. I felt violated! LMAO, I can laugh now but last year I went on a rant for a solid half hour cursing everything in sight.

Ron

Upvote 0

ZZZZZ

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Dec 11, 2003
Name
Boat
Owner make trebles in 4x now. Very strong. I bought them for poppers and diving plugs. I have not tried them yet but it should keep the plug from swimming the same/true or very close too. Single is best for big Tuna but I think these trebles will hold and keep the jig swimming how it was desinged too.

here is a pic of them
http://www.charkbait.com/cs/csh1.htm

Upvote 0

Neill

Jun 16, 2003
Tidewater Oregon
Visit site
Name
Neill
Boat
18ft inboard aluminum....
I believe Fred, he's taught me a lot...

We get lucky every once in a while like last year when they were biting anything, other than that they are here but not targeted correctly..

Upvote 0

Reel Trouble

SooooPlame
Jan 3, 2005
Tustin, CA
Name
Mr. G
Boat
24' Balo & 18'cc Darth Invader
Neill said:
I believe Fred, he's taught me a lot...

We get lucky every once in a while like last year when they were biting anything, other than that they are here but not targeted correctly..

I must agree, not may people want to start fishing in the early evening and into dark. I for one will start to target this monsters, cuz I want to be able to say........"I have caught more BET on a rod and reel than any man alive" LMAO sorry Tred I couldn't help myself

Upvote 0

Latest posts