I've posted enough I should edit this section
Nov 21, 2004
Laguna Hills
www.danaanglingclub.org
Name
Dan Upchurch
Boat
22' Sea Pro "Dirty Deeds"
After almost 2 years of slow trolling, drifting and everything else you can think of to get a Thresher Sunday was finally our day! Diane and I had planned on bass fishing Sunday but I got a late report Saturday night about some action on the Threshers So. of Newport so I decided to change plans and give the Thresher fishing one last shot before calling it a season and it paid off big time for us.

Left Dana Point at 8:00 and made some nice Mack's right out in front of the harbor then headed North. We ran through the regular Thresher grounds off the hospital not seeing much life except for boats so we stuck to the game plan and kept running North along the 100 fathom line looking for signs of life. It was pretty foggy and we could not see land but we were pretty much straight out of Newport when we came up on a school of porpoise and tons of crashing birds in 1,200 feet of green dirty water perfect! so we set out our spread which consisted of 1 pink & white Ballyhood and one Mexican Flag BOM both baited with a live mackerel and ran on the flat line clips. On the outriggers we ran a pink Mann's stick bait and on the other a Rapala CD14 in black and purple.

With the spread out we proceeded to slow troll at 3.5mph headed toward Newport Buoy 2 we went through tons of bait and crashing birds for awhile then the life seemed to disappear so we made a wide turn and started back So. Just as we finished our turn So. BANG the starboard rigger goes off and all we can hear is ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ Yeah we are hooked up!!! this fish took over 300 yards like it was nothing! about 10 minutes into the fight the Thresher jumped and we could see the pink lure in its mouth! well another five minutes and the hook pulls this T was an easy 250# oh well what can you do. Headed back up North a little bit with the same spread out once again we turned back South and BANG! this time the port rigger goes off and ZZZZZZZZZZZZZ YEAH! 2 hook ups in one day!

Diane on with a freshly hooked T

10 minutes in notice the jacket is gone!

25 minutes into the fight down to the t-shirt and into the gloves Diane never let up on this fish!

Smiles it's now been almost 40 minutes and the T is coming to color and we run through the drill one more time before we have the T at the boat. We have rehearsed this drill a hundred times in preparation of this day and everything went as planned! We got the fish to the side of the boat and took control of the tail and got the tail rope on and tied off. Diane was able to control the tail while I gaffed the fish in the mouth and quickly dispatched the fish by severing the spinal cord the fish was landed without incident.

We drug the T behind the boat for a bit just to be sure he was dead! then the fun really started getting this beast on board so we could run home. First we just tried to pull him up and over the stern yeah right! so I got out the block and tackle I had made for this day.

This was the ticket once we clipped the block onto the tail rope it was easy for us to pull him right up onto the boat I love it when a plan comes together!

We Finally have him aboard!

With the shark safely secured we were able to run back to Dana at 30mph no problem.

Diane and our 1st T being weighed at the Dana Point fuel dock.

We did it! after the MANY hours spent slow trolling we finally have our prize.

The tail was way over my head!

After all the pictures we headed back outside and staked up our prize. We ended the day with an awesome family BBQ!

jscrib

Whale Cock
Apr 29, 2004
Santa Monica
Name
j
Boat
VS
Awesome job Dan and Diane!!!:appl:

J

tylerderdan

Stay classy San diego
Dec 20, 2005
Glendora
Name
Scott
Boat
215cc triumph "Unforgiven"
Nice job Dan! I know you have been waiting for this for a long time.

tsuriya

Nov 25, 2003
Coronado
Visit site
Name
Ron
Boat
Sold
Congrats Team Bigdog. Persistance pays off.

Team Ball's Out

Jun 18, 2005
Vista
Name
Ray Collier
Boat
23' Sea Swirl Striper
NICE JOB I HAVE A VERY EASY WAY TO TO STEAK OUT SHARKS JUST PM ME!

26grumpy

who hooked who
Sep 24, 2006
Anaheim Hills
Name
Joe
Boat
Freefrom Boats Club
Congrats bro and welcome to the frat !!!!

fisherbaby

Oct 25, 2007
San Diego
Name
Andy
Boat
damn looks like everyone is getting t sharks right now. Have fun eating that tasty little beast

Makua

Sep 26, 2006
San Clemente
Name
Will
Boat
2700 Tiara Pursuit
Yo Bigdog, this is Makua, the Mako 21' parked next to you. WTG!! Was out trolling around on Sun as well and didn't get a knockdown. At least we know they're there!!

good job.

bertram31

Jul 7, 2004
Star Valley
Name
Jack
Boat
Polaris Supreme
WTG Dan and Diane !!!!!

Jack

dutchboy

Captain
Oct 23, 2004
HuntingtonBeach,CA
Name
AL /AKA Dutch
Boat
24' Wellcraft 'PREDITOR' HB, 40' Luhrs. Shelter Island SD
NICE ONE Dan! I bet it's a great feeling to finally get one after trying for so long. You definately put your time in and you deserve it!