Big yellows at The Rockpile!

Ketel

Apr 6, 2009
Corona, CA
Name
Damon
Boat
Little Dingy
I have to say, this was one of the best non-overnight charters i'd ever been on. Nathan (capt) and Kevin worked their tails off getting us to the fish and boy did we killem.

It was funny, about 11:00AM, Kevin comes over to me at the rail and we both look down at the water. Beams of sunlight were penetrating WAY down, shimmering. Visibility was excellent. Kevin then says, "Water looks WAY fishy!" From that point on, each stop paid its dividends.

I was fishing irons all day. Seemed that the Dorado was the color of choice in the early afternoon. Man was i pissed as my tady 4/0 dorado got snapped off on the 3rd hookup with that jig. I had just boated a 25#er (my 2nd), and Kevin yells out, "Yellowtail boil off the stern!" Not 25yds way, they're going crazy. Without checking my gear, i just cast way back and BAM... hookup! Felt like the iron didn't even hit the water. Slowly i began to reel him in, and then slack. It wasn't the knot, just the 50# line got beat up from the previous 2 fishies boated.

I was using a high speed retrieve on both straight vertical yo-yo and cast/sink to bottom/retrieve.

We had a great bunch of guys and girls fishing, and combined with the truly EPIC weather, made for a fantastic trip.

Of the 7 forks we boated, we couldn't tell who's was who's because they all were right around 25#+. Only one came in short, which was about a 20#er. The quality of fish was blowing us ALL away. Not a single dinker. In fact, Mo even caught a fatty sand bass that has us all going, "wow- it's that kind of day!"

And it's not even April yet!!!
Ketel

simeon

Coconutz
Feb 8, 2010
lake elsinore ca
Name
simeon
Boat
no boat
For my first six pack trip, I got spoiled. Great weather, awsome people to fish with, and we just killed it. A little slow in the morning, but after getting harassed by the mexis it was fish on. Thanks to Nathan and Kevin for kicking ass and putting us on the fish for the rest of the day.

The Long Run

May 5, 2006
San Diego
Name
Nathan
Boat
42' Hershine Trawler
Great group and conditions. Add some willing mossbacks and it just doesn't get much better.
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Ketel

Apr 6, 2009
Corona, CA
Name
Damon
Boat
Little Dingy
I just wanted to comment on the trawler. That boat is QUIET! Nathan wasn't lying when he said that she purrs like a kitty and sneaks up on the fishies all stealth-like. Plus, not once did we ever get a whiff of diesel fumes. You could barely tell she was even running.

Sherm

aka: The Sherminator
May 16, 2006
San Diego
Name
Scott
Boat
Yak
Some quality fish moving around down there. Glad you found some. Congrats

Mar 29, 2010
Olympia, WA
Name
John
Boat
25' Parker
Thanks for the report Home sick and missing those that are yellow and white.
If it wasn't for the killer longfin fishing here I would go insane.

elsinore36

Aug 10, 2006
Lake Elsinore
Name
Steve
Boat
21 Chapparal
Sounds like a great trip I should have been there but hey my buddy Simeon was great enough to come over after he came home and put some filets in my fridge Thanx Sim !!!!! Hamachi and cold ones Saturday !!!!!!!! And count me in on the next one

stairman

May 16, 2009
ramona /ca/usa
Name
doug
Boat
yak and lowe duck hunting skiff but they identify as sportfishing crusiers
The child is is here!Wow last year it was mid april before anything got started!
Albacore by the end of april?