Big Yellowfins in Cabo Report

Discussion in 'Baja Mexico Fishing Reports and Discussion' started by ryanjwc, Sep 9, 2019 at 7:46 AM.

1. ryanjwc

ryanjwc Newbie

Cabo San Lucas, Mexico/ Orange County, CA
    Name:
    Ryan
    Boat:
    No Borders
    They are here and going to be around for a while. Our last 2 trips we have got nice fish. Sept. Is a great month it’s cheap to come to Cabo and there aren’t a lot of people.

2C0251C1-D9D8-4FA1-9F07-CA31E85C4852.jpeg 3A9CE93B-2912-4C12-A199-98D3BBF8B6D5.jpeg 1A9783F7-2580-4859-BD5A-BEACEB043B0F.jpeg

Last edited: Sep 9, 2019 at 7:53 AM
    peshooter, mrkrabs, bikendive and 9 others like this.
  2. jbarbosa

jbarbosa Member

Name:
    John "Rio" Barbosa
    Boat:
    cabo panga
    Heard it’s been REALLY BAD down there for the bigger tunas.... but if you live down there and go out often enough, you MIGHT get lucky...as for being a tourist just trying a few days.....
    Not so much....Hoping it gets better.
    San Jose del Cabo’s got “some” 60 pounders coming up with alittle consistency though if you want to put some fillets in your freezer...glad you finally found a couple bigger ones in Cabo...

PaDDy Killer' likes this.
  3. ryanjwc

ryanjwc Newbie

Name:
    Ryan
    Boat:
    No Borders
    It’s bad because most of boats don’t want to go look for the correct school or go the distance. They charge to little money and limit themselves on where they can go or what they can do. My boat has taken a completely different approach to tuna fishing down here. You need a fast boat to cover ground.

4. jbarbosa

jbarbosa Member

Name:
    John "Rio" Barbosa
    Boat:
    cabo panga
    I totally agree....I’ll keep you guys on my call list because I like that answer...
    May have to charter with you guys to test that theory....seriously,.... would like to fish with some new guys next trip....

5. ryanjwc

ryanjwc Newbie

Name:
    Ryan
    Boat:
    No Borders
    It’s not like SoCal where there are a million boats always fishing. There is so much untouched water down here.

REEL FISH likes this.
  6. jbarbosa

jbarbosa Member

Name:
    John "Rio" Barbosa
    Boat:
    cabo panga
    True,.....BUT, what I’m referring to is the following: I Remember as recently as through the 90s you could go down there and get one or two big Bull Dorados 40+ pounds GUARANTEED.... The local long liners under Shark/ Norma put an end to that.... Also if you had three days to put in, and you even “half knew” what was working at that time, You’d be assured to get a tuna AT LEAST 80 plus during the months of July- December.....no more...... the seiners have put an end to that.... I believe there’s a reason why reports like yours have become far few in between in comparison to just 20 years ago ..... Marlin aside,.... there are no more regular reports of big fish,...because they’re mostly gone.....I stopped hoping it was just “cyclical off-seasons”....the last freak good year was 2010... and it already hadn’t been good for a long time and hasn’t been since ....and To clarify,.. I am strictly talking about larger tunas.... the footballs are still there every year..... but they don’t count... just like the chicken Dorados, that are all that’s left ...... i’ll keep trying though......out...

7. tommyc

tommyc Hacker

Name:
    Tom
    Boat:
    Beatem N' Eatem
    You are operating out of Cabo San Lucas and your boat is called "No Borders"?

8. ryanjwc

ryanjwc Newbie

Name:
    Ryan
    Boat:
    No Borders

That’s correct

9. ryanjwc

ryanjwc Newbie

Name:
    Ryan
    Boat:
    No Borders
    There’s a few days in October and Nov we will be doing open party dates strictly targeting big tuna. Up to 3 anglers.