Big Tuna on the Gordo

Discussion in 'Baja Mexico Fishing Reports and Discussion' started by Smoke12, Nov 8, 2012.

1. Smoke12

Smoke12 Newbie

Name:
    Jim
    Boat:
    23 ft 2310 parker

2. Smoke12

Smoke12 Newbie

Name:
    Jim
    Boat:
    23 ft 2310 parker
    Thanks, Just too much going on and didn't think of it.
    Here is another pic with a little better example of the girth.

Attached Files:

3. G-Spot

G-Spot Captain

Name:
    John
    Boat:
    53’ Hatteras STEEL N TIME
    Sorry, It is just too hard without some measurement or scale to see that fish and agree with 368. There are very few fish that size caught and the 10 or so that I have seen were all well over 7 feet long from the nose to the low spot in the back fin... looking at your friends height of 6'3" and the fact that he is stooped slightly and the nose is right on the floor of the boat, so I would put the height right around 72-75" and the half girth is probably 23-28, this would stack this fish in the low to mid 200's...... the 314 I saw last week was 85" and half girth was 28.......

If you would have weighed it I doubt anyone would be saying anything. The measurement is easy to get.... Those guys around the dock have no clue and guess wayyyyy toooo mucho!!!!

Nice fish, sorry to be the one realist..... look at the pictures of the 266 and 262 that won the tournament last week..... they look bigger than yours....

sickles have little to do with size... I have seen huge sickles on smaller fish and visa versa.... the 314 we got two weeks ago have short sickles... see a picture of the jackpot fish on http://fishintrepid.com/frphotos/10-31-12.jpg

see how tall a 314 is...... then add another 54 pounds..... that thing would be pushing 90" in length.....

4. Statistico

Statistico Statistition

Name:
    Joe
    Boat:
    None
    I'm not sure what G-Spot is using for his estimates, but when I look at the data that Mike Lackey used to estimate the super-super-cow the 86" is for 400 + lbs. Not saying that G is wrong.

These fish are all different so it is hard to say. I know that the fish caught at the lower banks off of Mag Bay are more girthy than those caught at Clarion...in general. Not sure about those that end up in the Sea of Cortez, but I'd guess similar to those caught out of Puerto Vallarta. Clarion fish seem to be freight trains comparatively with more length to the girth.

We caught a lower banks fish a few years ago that was 294 and must have had 40 lbs of chunks in it when it was gutted. It was weighed before the belly was split open.

From one of the fish sites..."The behemoth, landed by Mike Livingston of Sunland, Calif., weighed 405.2 pounds; it's girth was 61 inches and it measured nearly 86 inches from nose to tail. It was a "lower banks" fish."

5. Fishybuzz

Fishybuzz fishybuzz

Name:
    David Tang
    Boat:
    Intrepid
    I just got a 317.5# in PV ...it measured 84" long by 55" girth ....

to be 368# it would need to be something Like 88" by 58".....that is almost seven and a half feet long...

Great fish no matter what congrats.... but it is always good to measure....most of the time using the measurement method is conservative by a couple #s but close.

6. Statistico

Statistico Statistition

Name:
    Joe
    Boat:
    None
    Yes Fishy, you are right on. I'd say around the 300 lb. mark. I almost used your photo as an example of what it might be. Another photo (above) and the fish looks much bigger than the tuna door opening. Sorry to see that the measurements weren't there.

By the way, yours was VERY nice!

Joe

7. vinhtran

vinhtran Member

Name:
    Vinh
    Boat:
    none
    Definitely would have been awesome to know specifics, but regardless, awesome day.

8. tunanorth

tunanorth I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Tunanorth
    Boat:
    Bass Tracker 16
    I've fished with Vicente many times, he is one of the very best captains at the East Cape. Glad that he now has such an excellent platform [DottieBIII] to take people out on.

9. G-Spot

G-Spot Captain

Name:
    John
    Boat:
    53’ Hatteras STEEL N TIME
    I am using real numbers from real fish I have seen and I have not seen a 300+ fish that was under 7' long.... just like the one in the link I posted... Fishy's fish was 317 and was almost the same measurements as the 314.... 85" long and a half girth of 28 or a full girth of 56 and it was within 3 pounds of Fishy's.

I was on the Intrepid when we caught a 360 and it was 90" long.....

Great Job Fishy!!!

10. Tofinoguy

Tofinoguy Member

Name:
    Shawn
    Boat:
    28ft Hourston - "Ospray 1"
    I sure hope those fish are at the Gordo next week when we are there

11. Smoke12

Smoke12 Newbie

Name:
    Jim
    Boat:
    23 ft 2310 parker
    Went again today, landed a nice tuna, It measured in at 130. I saw another one boated a little bigger. So some nice Tuna are still here! Maybe not the big ones the guys have mentioned above but it is still nice to get a bigger than normal Tuna. GOOD LUCK.
    JIM