Big tuna caught off of or around H.B pier.

brian fulton

Can’t help it
Aug 13, 2008
lake forest.ca
Name
brianfulton
Boat
Happy Hour.
Just heard an unconfirmed report of a 165 plus pound tuna caught near Huntington beach pier on 02,17,2015.waiting for pictures from my source.will post if true .oh from what I was told it was supposedly caught by the pipe

Upvote 0

BigfishDM

Aug 3, 2011
TunaTown
Name
Josh
Boat
Jawsh's
It is true I witnessed the weigh in at the Docks, it was 164.7 and was caught 200 yards off the Pier fishing for Halibut.

Upvote 0

plj46

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Jan 7, 2008
Socal
Name
john
Boat
24 ft grady white
This should get interesting.Im just wondering who would have the proper gear to catch that tuna so close to shore,unless it was dead or near dead.

Reactions: zd583
Upvote 0

Catalina CD

Cockdie Win's!!!
May 14, 2011
Avalon, CA
Name
Jamie Hmielak
Boat
Steiger Craft 21 Miami
This makes me curious. I was fishing for halibut about a week ago on the front side of Catalina with my father-in-law. We were using Spanish mack's for bait, and he hooked into something huge. Made a incredibly fast run out to deeper water, and spooled 300 yards of line in less than 2 minutes!!! I was thinking that it was maybe a giant bat ray, but a tuna would make more sense due to how fast it was running. We were fishing in about 50 feet of water at the time. I'm not saying it was a tuna, but we were fishing for halibut...similar situation. How odd is that, tuna...this time of year, so close to shore?!?!

Upvote 0

makairaa

May 1, 2005
Tustin CA
Name
Philip Hunkins
Boat
17 starcraft
This makes me curious. I was fishing for halibut about a week ago on the front side of Catalina with my father-in-law. We were using Spanish mack's for bait, and he hooked into something huge. Made a incredibly fast run out to deeper water, and spooled 300 yards of line in less than 2 minutes!!! I was thinking that it was maybe a giant bat ray, but a tuna would make more sense due to how fast it was running. We were fishing in about 50 feet of water at the time. I'm not saying it was a tuna, but we were fishing for halibut...similar situation. How odd is that, tuna...this time of year, so close to shore?!?!
300 yards in 2 minutes sounds like a black sea bass. 300 yards in 30 to 45 seconds we could discuss a tuna.

Upvote 0

hilltop

lurking in the shallows
Jan 1, 2010
sb 805
Name
hilltop
Boat
sold, pangas, Intrepid, and diggin the RRIII
it was some dtf "165" who jumped off the pier pickled and fell asleep hugging a bouy only to be hooked by some kook on the hb pier tossing iron for those hb wahoo and tuna

Upvote 0

skipjackrobert

Apr 2, 2013
The OC
Name
Rob
Boat
The Constitution or Tomahawk with Stan
Would you be using 100 lb gear while fishing off HB? I'm curious to see what actually transpired...

Upvote 0

Raimond

Not as lean, not as mean, still a Marine...
Mar 9, 2014
SoCal
Name
Ray
Boat
23' IMP Hardtop - "4 Reel"
This would be news worthy, nothing I saw reported...

Upvote 0

hilltop

lurking in the shallows
Jan 1, 2010
sb 805
Name
hilltop
Boat
sold, pangas, Intrepid, and diggin the RRIII
have you ever fished for a bit of love after too many brews? 100 lb is perfect

Upvote 0

skipjackrobert

Apr 2, 2013
The OC
Name
Rob
Boat
The Constitution or Tomahawk with Stan
Sounds crazy, but I recall similar backlash to the first wahoo post last season.
I agree but a 165 lb tuna is a little different. Wahoo based off water temp. This one is size of fish, gear, and water temp...sounds a touch fishy to me:)

Upvote 0

slydawg

Always wishin' I was fishin'
Jul 14, 2004
Alta Loma/Huntington
Name
Billy
Boat
WWW - 25’ Proline
This is the second time I've had to retie my topshots today... First was due to intolerant capt. banning short top shots on his boat and now we are catching near cow sized tuna locally. Damn it! :D

Upvote 0

26grumpy

who hooked who
Sep 24, 2006
Anaheim Hills
Name
Joe
Boat
Freefrom Boats Club
As reported in Western Outdoor News in the 1990's...

A big 200# + Yellowfin beached itself near San Clemente, Ca. As the story went, the Lifeguard responded to a call about a beached Dolphin. Went the LG arrived he found a live and kicking YFT on the surf line. Being a fisherman himself the dude loaded it in his jeep and left the scene.

Weird things happen but an HB Pier tuna in Feb....I'm not so sure.

Upvote 0