Fishrdan

3# carp VS 40# striper
Nov 10, 2005
Vegas Baby!
Name
Dan
Boat
18' Crestliner Superhawk, 14' Tracker "Fish Git' RRR"
I'm looking for a small saltwater spinning reel with enough drag for a 20# striper (30-40# possible), yet small enough so my 8YO son will be able to use it easily, it will be loaded with 40-50# spectra. He's been wanting to throw big lures "like dad does" but I haven't let him yet as his reel would blow up if he hooked into a good striper. I've found he gets frustrated easily if the reel/line has problems and don't want to buy something he won't be able to use,,, too big, difficult to use, crappy design.

I'm looking at Penn Slammer 260/360, Daiwa BG 13/15/20 and Shimano Spheros 3000-4000, something with an aluminum frame and good drags. Looking to spend $100+-

(Yeah, yeah, I know, get him a baitcaster. He isn't ready for that frustration yet :D)

Suggestions...

tunanorth

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Dec 4, 2005
By the lake
Name
Tunanorth
Boat
Bass Tracker 16
Slammers are excellent reels for fish larger than you usually think of for spinners, most importantly having the "double-drag"; they also have a metal body, and oversize drive shaft specifically to fish with braid.
The 260 holds about 175 yards of 30 pound braid;
The 360 holds 225 yards of 30 pound braid;
The 460 holds 250 yards of 40 pound braid;
I often use my Slammer 260 for stripers up to the low 20's, it handles them easily.
I have caught schoolie yellowfin tuna and pargo up to 25 pounds on my Slammer 360, so a striper of almost any size should be well within its' range.

Disclaimer- affiliated

stripedbizzle

Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles ca
Name
JTM
Boat
No
Slammers are excellent reels for fish larger than you usually think of for spinners, most importantly having the "double-drag"; they also have a metal body, and oversize drive shaft specifically to fish with braid.
The 260 holds about 175 yards of 30 pound braid;
The 360 holds 225 yards of 30 pound braid;
The 460 holds 250 yards of 40 pound braid;
I often use my Slammer 260 for stripers up to the low 20's, it handles them easily.
I have caught schoolie yellowfin tuna and pargo up to 25 pounds on my Slammer 360, so a striper of almost any size should be well within its' range.

Disclaimer- affiliated
what he said

Fishrdan

3# carp VS 40# striper
Nov 10, 2005
Vegas Baby!
Name
Dan
Boat
Thanks for the info tunanorth, I'm eying the Slammer 360 pretty hard.

One thing I can't figure out, how big are these reels? All the pic's I've seen of them don't have anything in the background for scale so I'm kind of at a loss at to how big they actually are. I'm just guessing here and trying to put the reels into perspective by sizing them with my cheap FW trout reels, is the Penn 260 around the size of a Daiwa/Shimano 2000 freshwater reel and the 460 around the size of a Daiwa/Shimano 4000? Just trying to gauge the physical size of these small saltwater reels so I don't get something that's too big and cumbersome for a kid.

(BTW, I tried loading up my aluminum framed Daiwa Regal 2500 trout reel with 30(or 40?)# spectra and it saw too small.)

tunanorth

Dec 4, 2005
By the lake
Name
Tunanorth
Boat
Bass Tracker 16
Those size relationships are pretty close, but remember that these are metal-bodied reels, and will be a little heavier [but much stronger] than graphite-bodied reels of the same size.

BuonaForTuna

Jul 27, 2008
Glendale Ca
Name
Jesse
Boat
BuonaFortuna 26' Seaswirl Striper
Shimano Saragosa 6000F my 7 yr old caught a 20lb YT on his first time using it I use it as well for throwing big popper jigs at fish. If you want to spend the money for even better quality the stradic.

Fishrdan

3# carp VS 40# striper
Nov 10, 2005
Vegas Baby!
Name
Dan
Boat
Shimano Saragosa 6000F my 7 yr old caught a 20lb YT on his first time using it
Has he cast with that reel, if so, how did he do with the big reel?

Point well taken.. and I've been thinking that over as well. Spectra + small kids + big fish,,, = cut or missing fingers... Probably better to use mono too as he might have fits with the spectra as well, air knotting, spool loops and general frustrations of using spectra.

Change of plans a bit, going to use a long 20-25# mono topshot with spectra as a backer. I'll need to play around with with one of my big ol' Daiwa FW spinner so I can figure out how much reel capacity I'm going to need. Guesing 50 yards of mono for casting with a 100 yard spectra backer?

Probably need to jump up to the next size of reel, Penn 460(560?), Shimano 5000, etc.

1:11

WMDcustoms
Jul 28, 2005
Name
Boat
Dan, for $100 you could buy yourself a very nice reel. For your boy, you probably dont even need to spend that much seeing as how there is a decent chance the rig could get dropped over ??.

I would go into BPS and take a look at the different sizes and maybe check boaters world since they are blowing everything out.

Not sure if the largest size Daiwa Exceler will get the line capacity you need but for $79.99 its a damn nice reel, nice enough for you.

I hope the kid catches something big. Id consider the Daiwa Exceler probably 4000 size (not sure if line capacity is good tho), and the Shimano Sedona or Stradic. Go check out whats available. Since you wont be fishing it in salt you will be able to go a little bit budget on the reel and still get a good one.

Albacrazy

NUCKIN FUTS 4 2NA
Sep 24, 2006
Vegas
Name
Drew
Boat
18' Coleman
FYI Boaters World is closed. Check out the Pflueger Medalist Dan. Last year I saw several Yft in the 25#-30# class taken on this reel. It's fairly priced Has 9 ball bearings and a titanium roler bearing so it's spectra friendly.

AKSalmon

Jul 15, 2006
Juneau, Alaska
Name
Bill Brown
Boat
Sold my Parker. You can find me on the Red Rooster.
The Pflueger spinners don't stand up to saltwater very well. I'd opt for a Slammer or Daiwa Black Gold.

Fishrdan

3# carp VS 40# striper
Nov 10, 2005
Vegas Baby!
Name
Dan
Boat
Ahhh, you guys are making it tough on me now,,, more research to do.

I didn't even look at the Daiwa Exceler Jason. I haven't even looked at FW reels because of the lack of strength and the paddle handle I want on the reel. Reviews seem good and it's reasonably priced, paddle handle, gib drags, metal frame, extra spool is a huge bonus as he's sure to mess up the line while out fishing...

Thanks for the Pflueger tip Drew. For some reason I thought Pflueger was bought by another company (name sold out) as I hadn't seen them in a long time. My personal impression was that the new products had the name but not the quality.

AK, The reel is going to be used in FW for big landlocked stripers (see avatar :D). Though, I guess it would be wise to get him a reel that's salt friendly since I'm going be taking him on a tuna trips when he gets bigger.

Honestly, I don't mind spending a few extra bucks getting a true SW reel, opposed to a heavy duty FW reel. One of those "buy it once" type things. Now,,, if I could find a heavy FW reel that looks like it could handle the task for $40-50,,, I might be swayed...

WMDcustoms
Jul 28, 2005
Name
Boat
Check these out Dan. Something like this would be a good starter rig and will handle big fish. Ive handled these at bass pro, they are decent, will handle a fish to 25-30 and bigger with dads help probably. for you boy, something like this is fine. He will tell you when he has outgrown it, then its his 2nd rig, like dad has mulitple rigs. Let me know if you want a custom rod for him, we could make him a budget rod. Rod you could spend a little more on, needs to perform for him so he wont get worn out.

Offshore Angler Sea Lion Spinning Reels

This one is a little more spendy but a better design.

Offshore Angler Ocean Master 10000 Spinning Reel

id go for the budget first one, at least maybe check them out, they sell them combo'd up, might even be able to find one with a rod that will work, some the offshore extreme rods are decent too, work fine for Striper.

sealtaco

bbqseals
Jan 20, 2005
Bonita, CA
Name
bbqseals
Boat
Hobie mirage outback, 18' Sea Pro CC
Take a look at the Okuma spinning reels. They make some really good spinning reels!

JFK

Apr 3, 2008
Santa Cruz, Ca
Name
James
Boat
14' Livingston skiff
I bought a Cabelas Salt Striker that I just use for perch off the beach. There is a graphite one and a metal bady one. I bought the metal body one and it's actually a really nice reel and I can tell it has the drag and frame strength to handle a MUCH larger fish than what I use it for.....check em' out. They run about $80 Penn Slammers are nice though too.

BuonaForTuna

Jul 27, 2008
Glendale Ca
Name
Jesse
Boat
BuonaFortuna 26' Seaswirl Striper
Has he cast with that reel, if so, how did he do with the big reel?

Point well taken.. and I've been thinking that over as well. Spectra + small kids + big fish,,, = cut or missing fingers... Probably better to use mono too as he might have fits with the spectra as well, air knotting, spool loops and general frustrations of using spectra.

Change of plans a bit, going to use a long 20-25# mono topshot with spectra as a backer. I'll need to play around with with one of my big ol' Daiwa FW spinner so I can figure out how much reel capacity I'm going to need. Guesing 50 yards of mono for casting with a 100 yard spectra backer?

Probably need to jump up to the next size of reel, Penn 460(560?), Shimano 5000, etc.
LOL no cut fingers he did quite well he out fished my ass he actually got bored of it really fast after his first fish he was done with the rod and reel combo I bought for him (seeker BS with Stradic) and wanted to use the Penn VSX 16 on a whopper stopper lol.. Regardless of spectra or not it will do just fine if you were to spool it completely with mono Shimano and Accurate make awesome products all around

Fishrdan

3# carp VS 40# striper
Nov 10, 2005
Vegas Baby!
Name
Dan
Boat
I'm going to BPS this weekend to check out some of the reels suggested, Slammer, Exceler, Medalist, Shimano(?). I don't have faith in BPS reels after looking at the internals of one I bought, pretty cheap inside.

Hope to check out some rods too, 7-8', long butt section, 15-30#, 1-4oz lure,,, if they have anything like that in the store. I appreciate the rod build offer Jason, but am going to get him an inexpensive rod first to see how he likes it, then get him a nicer rod after we figure out what will work for him.

WMDcustoms
Jul 28, 2005
Name
Boat
I hope you find the right rod if not, i know of a couple blanks that would work, they are reasonable, could build you something for under $100, not to make money, just to build a rod for the kid, because he is a good kid and because you've helped me alot. Either way, i hope the kid hooks a big fish over 20, would be awesome.

Fishrdan

3# carp VS 40# striper
Nov 10, 2005
Vegas Baby!
Name
Dan
Boat
Been away for a few days...

Sounds good Jason, I'll give you a ring if I can't find an inexpensive off-the-shelf rod that's going to work. $100 is a smoking deal on a custom rod and I really appreciate the offer.

I went to BPS today but didn't get a good chance to look at rods/reels,,, kids were being a PITA... BPS didn't have Slammers, Exceler 4000's (though the other sizes looked good), Medalist's, etc. Didn't find much as the reels were too cheaply built or too expensive (then again, the kids were pissing me off)

Oh yeah, did I mention,,, Don't go reel shopping with 2 kids :1041677399::1041677399:

WMDcustoms
Jul 28, 2005
Name
Boat
Dan, i was at BPS on Saturday and i saw a bunch of combos that looked like they would work. I DID see Penn Slammer and as well as captiva, and sargus and all of them seemed pretty nice and they had all of them combo'd up for prices from 79.99 to 139.99 full combo, im sure they would give you some free line too, if you dont mind the house brand. They had all kinds of rods in there that would work from $69-119. The combos you might have not seen including the Slammer were as you walk into the store and veer right to fishing dept, on the display end on the right by the in front before the saltwater aisles, you should go again without the kids, they had plenty, that Sargus was pretty nice. the Captiva (Penn) i think had a heavy duty machines aluminum handle. Had some decent penn rods combo'd on them, good prices.

Fishrdan

3# carp VS 40# striper
Nov 10, 2005
Vegas Baby!
Name
Dan
Boat
Ha, I missed you at BPS Saturday.

I didn't see the Slammer combo's as we headed to the rock climbing wall and then into fishing the back way. We checked out a bunch of reels, Sargus, Captiva, Daiwa's, Shimano's which seemed capable. But,,, after seeing his lack of enthusiasm while buying a new rod/reel I'm backing off the high dollar gear.

I checked out Cabelas and their store branded Tournament ZX and Prodigy (built by Daiwa, basically Exceler or Teirra) reels are clearanced at $50-70. The Tournament ZX ("Exceler") has everything I want at this point (metal frame, good drags, big handle, line capacity, rave reviews) so I think it's best to spend $50 on a capable reel. If he shows interest, demote the Cabelas reel and buy him something better.

The only rod I liked at BPS was $120. But,,, I'm not too concerned with a rod at this point. I dug out 2 old MH spinning rods I haven't used in years, a fast action 6.5' and slow 8', both 12-25#, 1-4oz. Good enough to get him out on the water and chucking plugs.

Fishrdan

3# carp VS 40# striper
Nov 10, 2005
Vegas Baby!
Name
Dan
Boat
Well,,, after checking out reels at BPS again and finding something I liked, I did some shopping. I bought him 2 reels, a Cabela's Tournament ZX 4000 (hoping it's an Exceler in sheep's clothing) for casting and a Penn Sargus 5000 for trolling.

Now he has a backup for when he gets the line fouled or sends one to Davy Jones locker,,, you know how kids are.... :D

WMDcustoms
Jul 28, 2005
Name
Boat
cool, now you need to go show him how its done. Kudos Dad.

Fishrdan

3# carp VS 40# striper
Nov 10, 2005
Vegas Baby!
Name
Dan
Boat
Update, Got the Penn Sargus 5000 in and it's a sweet reel, maybe a bit big, but it's for trolling so I don't think it's going to be a problem. Rolled the dice and picked up a 6' 15-40# Fenwick FenJig rod off Ebay for $40. I didn't know how the action was going to be, but it's a perfect rod for trolling, similar to my 30# tuna rods. Those 2 together look sick, black on black,,, wished it was my rig.

The Cabela's Tournament ZX looked like a really nice casting reel,,, but the anit-reverse switch went out in it before I even had the chance to load line on it... back to Cabela's it goes. I think I'm going to replace it with another Sargus, maybe a 4000.

WMDcustoms
Jul 28, 2005
Name
Boat
Bass Pro Shops has the TD pro on sale right now for $79.99 not sure if they make it in 4000 but its the same reel Daiwa makes the TD pro exclusively for Bass Pro. I think it an exceler painted charcoal grey. They were $139.99 at Bass Pro for a long time. Recently dropped them to 99.99 which is a great price. At 79 its a steal. If they have a 4000 id be all over smokin deal.. Id Trust it in the alkaline fresh, maybe not the ocean though. Actaully i think it would be fine in the Salt but youd want to take the reel completely apart after salt use and spend some time on the bearings.

Dan, i put up another stripe at Willow on Friday, thats one more stripe out of the way.