Willing Member
  • Jun 25, 2014
    Chula Vista
    www.youtube.com
    Name
    Will
    Boat
    Purr-Sea-Stance / Montauk 170
    On our Dog Walk through Rice Canyon in Chula Vista yesterday. This guy was about 6’ long and angry. I kicked rocks at him to keep him moving off the pathway while Jaime held Leo well behind. I’ve never seen one this big around here. Usually only 2-3’ long. Video on my IG account: WetWillyBiz. He had a rattle about 3” long. Anyone know how old a snake like this is? Western diamond back??

D33D2716-3B76-4062-8F35-8AC32B9B89F5.jpeg

TOTW

Time On The Water
    Dec 23, 2005
    San Diego
    Name
    Chris L
    Boat
    Leo's
    Red Diamond. Crotalus ruber if you want to get all technical. They do get pretty big but are actually far less aggressive (and less toxic) than the Southern Pacifics commonly seen in SoCal. My good friend has been tracking one for over twenty years and this one seems about the same size—it’s gotta be right around legal drinking age, lol! It’s breeding time for them right now, so you probably found this one in a worked up state from both the heat of the day and there was probably a mate nearby. Reds are actually protected by the state, too.

Willdoggy

Willing Member
  • Jun 25, 2014
    Chula Vista
    www.youtube.com
    Name
    Will
    Boat
    Purr-Sea-Stance / Montauk 170
    Here’s a short version of our standoff. Apparently they don’t like getting rocks kicked in their face. I just wanted him safe in the brush so no mountain biker wingnut would get him. Also did not want my dog or GF bit. Hope this was the best outcome for all.

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.mov
      3.3 MB · Views: 0
    Reactions: sealskinner

Garrison

Garrison
    May 21, 2008
    Temecula
    Name
    Garrison
    Boat
    Mikelson 43’
    Red Diamond. Crotalus ruber if you want to get all technical. They do get pretty big but are actually far less aggressive (and less toxic) than the Southern Pacifics commonly seen in SoCal. My good friend has been tracking one for over twenty years and this one seems about the same size—it’s gotta be right around legal drinking age, lol! It’s breeding time for them right now, so you probably found this one in a worked up state from both the heat of the day and there was probably a mate nearby. Reds are actually protected by the state, too.
    The Southern Pacifics can be real bad news, we found two last year on our property. There was a study done on a few populations in SoCal and the snakes near Idyllwild had venom with neurotoxic levels similar to the Mojave Green, comforting information when mountain biking and running my bird dogs up there.

To the original poster, I highly recommend having your dog snake broke, dogs can smell them and steer clear if they are trained to. The process done correctly is not fun for the dog or an owner, but it works. The done correctly part is critical, if it is a big clinic with a bunch of people not so much, a pro bird dog trainer who doesn’t want to be responsible for telling an owner their dog is dead, tends to use an adequate amount of stimulation to make sure the dog wants nothing to do with them again. My bird dogs come across them on a regular basis and stay clear, I have seen them wind one from over 20’.

Last edited:

waynesworld

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Apr 24, 2006
    Escondido
    Name
    Wayne
    Boat
    Sold it -need a ride
    Both our dogs have been to the rattlesnake avoidance training-it works
    We were out hiking yesterday and the dogs spotted something ,barked and would not go near it,turned out to be a shed skin

gecsr1

Plain Jane Rods...Hobby Rod Builder
    Jul 15, 2005
    Poway Ca
    Name
    Gary
    Boat
    No Boat Now
    I live rural, and in the past I would generally have to deal with 5 or 6 Rattle Snake near my house every Year.. the last year or two... I have around my home eliminated rats ground squirrels and mice.. and since doing that I have not seen a rattle snake near my home...

I know you encountered the one on hiking trails ,I know that's a different thing.

But there are ways to keep them away from the home just saying

dwaynesda

dwayne
    Apr 27, 2003
    santee
    Visit site
    Name
    dwayne
    Boat
    Cabo 216
    Red Diamondback. I have dealt with them all of my life and they are not aggressive at all and sometimes even very tough to get them to even rattle. Best thing to do is just leave them alone and they will crawl off on their own.

Reactions: Willdoggy and TOTW

gettingbentwithbo

Subscribe to my YouTube Channel!
    Mar 7, 2009
    Riverside
    gettingbentwithbo.com
    Name
    Bo
    Boat
    16' Starcraft SF SS
    We get a nice sized rattler in our back yard in Riverside at least once or twice a year.

Reactions: Willdoggy

Shewillbemine

"should of" is NOT a thing
  • Oct 19, 2012
    California
    Name
    Shewillbemine
    Boat
    Chips N Guac
    We almost walked into a crazy Orange rattlesnake. I was actually looking back at my kids when I heard a loud rattle, turned to face forward and saw this 6 foot snake coming right at me. Thank God it veered into the bushes and away from us.

I took a video because I was convinced no one would believe we saw a 6 foot rattler. Didn't know they grew that big until I googled it.

Aggro

Keepin my pimp hand strong!
  • Mar 4, 2005
    Clairemont
    Name
    AGGRO
    Boat
    skiff
    Leave em be unless they keep coming back to your property then they are fair fame before they kill a dog or other critter. Good eatin.

wdlfbio

Once you go Cat, you never go back
    Sep 15, 2008
    Olympia, WA
    Name
    laurence
    Boat
    2021 Allied WildCat 30
    No. No no. Nooooo way. Uh uh.

• Haha

Arima-bob

Ship faced aquaholic
    Mar 9, 2012
    Too far from water
    Name
    Beeulzebob
    Boat
    uh....
    We almost walked into a crazy Orange rattlesnake. I was actually looking back at my kids when I heard a loud rattle, turned to face forward and saw this 6 foot snake coming right at me. Thank God it veered into the bushes and away from us.

I took a video because I was convinced no one would believe we saw a 6 foot rattler. Didn't know they grew that big until I googled it.
    If you ever take a trip up to Big Bear, take the long way up the 38 and stop by the Rangers station in Mentone just before you start up the hill. On the wall in that office is a rattlesnake (I don’t know which species it is) that’s every bit of 20 feet long. They said it was taken out by Whitewater back in the 1930’s.

I knew 6’ wasn’t abnormal for rattlesnakes, but that dude blew my mind!

Shewillbemine

"should of" is NOT a thing
  • Oct 19, 2012
    California
    Name
    Shewillbemine
    Boat
    Chips N Guac
    If you ever take a trip up to Big Bear, take the long way up the 38 and stop by the Rangers station in Mentone just before you start up the hill. On the wall in that office is a rattlesnake (I don’t know which species it is) that’s every bit of 20 feet long. They said it was taken out by Whitewater back in the 1930’s.

Fuck. That.

Garrison

Garrison
    May 21, 2008
    Temecula
    Name
    Garrison
    Boat
    Mikelson 43’

“The eastern diamondback rattlesnake is North America's longest and heaviest venomous snake. Their average length is 0.8 to 1.8 meters (3 to 6 feet), but some adults can be as long as 2.4 meters (8 feet).” (Smithsonian National Zoo)

Was it mounted next to a Jackalope?

marlyn

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • Dec 18, 2005
    So Cal
    Name
    mark
    Boat
    21' skiff and 12' portabote recycled from milk jugs
    I kill them on my property,had one bite my dog years ago and i have grandkids running around so they all die.I used to put out quail blocks which attracted mice and then snakes so keep things clean and dont feed the critters and snakes stay away usually.

Reactions: finsane
    Upvote 0