Moderate
Mar 11, 2005
Hollywood, FL
www.sandiego-sportfishing.com
Name
Matt
Boat
I'm just a deckhand...
I haven't lived here very long, but I've only seen little AJ's over here. Biggest maybe 40-50lbs. I saw some monsters where I grew up in North Florida though. Real brutes!!!

LOADED with worms though. Here and in FL...

Addicted2fishin

where's da fish
Jun 16, 2006
Hawaii
Name
RJ
Boat
19 Glasspro, 17 Ali'i Kai
my uncle caught a 120 something Kahala. Record is John Llanes with a 145.5. These are monster fish. I can't fathom how hard they must fight.

Apr 20, 2009
Seal Beach
Name
Steven
Boat
soon...
I just got back from Cancun and did some fishing for these while I was there.
Good size...tail to bottom of my chest when nose was on the ground. (Im 6'3)
40-50 pound range im guessing. Fight was tough, and pulling them outta 250ft didnt help either.

Dec 16, 2007
North Carolina
Name
JB
Boat
None now
I just got back from Cancun and did some fishing for these while I was there.
Good size...tail to bottom of my chest when nose was on the ground. (Im 6'3)
40-50 pound range im guessing. Fight was tough, and pulling them outta 250ft didnt help either.
Caught a few with Capt. Jeff Rogers, biggest went 50". Caught at about 120 fathoms, kicked my ass on the light stuff.

Blesum

Apr 1, 2006
Oahu, Hawaii
Name
Paul
Boat
Yamaha FXHO
I've probably seen about 40-50 so far diving out here. Biggest I've ever seen was probably about 30-40#. Why don't they seem to get bigger than that around here (other than the occasional freak)?

-Paul

Smudge

Moderate
Mar 11, 2005
Hollywood, FL
www.sandiego-sportfishing.com
Name
Matt
Boat
I'm just a deckhand...
I'm thinking the reason we don't see the big ones Paul is tfat they are DEEP. Now that o think about it, when I saw triple digit AJ's caught in FL they usually came off of deep wrecks. Like 300+ft deep.

Waiohinu Lawaia

dabuggashakeshakehenohemo
Sep 8, 2004
Los Angeles, or Big Island
Name
Jason
Boat
Sold it
We got a 85lber off the Big Island two weeks ago, still waiting to process my camera for pics (no mo digital still yet)... My brother got a 135or so two years ago, smoked it up, and was grinds. When I was younger my dad would bring home some brutes, but they were all caught fishing for Onaga=super deep...

fly liner

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Apr 10, 2009
hemet ca USA
Name
Josh
Boat
18.5 wahoo/21' crystaliner /15' prowler
hell i caught a littel 19# in northg carolina on some piece of shit rental with like 100# on it now when i say piece of shit i mean like missing guides and electrical tape covering the busted ones and the drag buttoned down to the max on some old like 4/0 penn with a loose ass handel and the bastered still pulled drag. definatly a strong fish

Dec 16, 2007
North Carolina
Name
JB
Boat
None now
Ok, whats the diff b/w amberjack (Kahala) and Almaco (sp?) Jack? Same fish or what?
Two distinctly different fish, although tough to tell the difference straight away. Almaco(Seriola rivoliana) was only recently acknowledged as different from the Greater Amberjack(Seriola dumerili), in Hawaiian waters. Almaco and Kona Kampachi are the same fish, I believe. If Capt. Rogers sees this thread, he can give you the exact breakdown, as he was involved in having the difference between greater and Almaco. He's also heavily involved in a tagging program, and you can see on the pic I posted there is a tag just under the dorsal. He had caught that sme fish almost a year earlier, and that tag was placed at the time of the first capture. The growth rate on them is pretty astounding.

Sherm

aka: The Sherminator
May 16, 2006
San Diego
Name
Scott
Boat
Yak
One of my favorite fish to catch. Like a yellowtail on steroids. I caught a 63 pounder in Costa rica that kicked my ass. Very good eating as well.

aj1976

Apr 14, 2008
kaneohe
Name
aj
Boat
23 Seacraft
Two distinctly different fish, although tough to tell the difference straight away. Almaco(Seriola rivoliana) was only recently acknowledged as different from the Greater Amberjack(Seriola dumerili), in Hawaiian waters. Almaco and Kona Kampachi are the same fish, I believe. If Capt. Rogers sees this thread, he can give you the exact breakdown, as he was involved in having the difference between greater and Almaco. He's also heavily involved in a tagging program, and you can see on the pic I posted there is a tag just under the dorsal. He had caught that sme fish almost a year earlier, and that tag was placed at the time of the first capture. The growth rate on them is pretty astounding.
Ok, I think I know now. The Almaco is the "deep sea" version often found around floating debris and FAD -- I think that is what they use for Kona Kanpachi as well. Thanks for the reply.

Blesum

Apr 1, 2006
Oahu, Hawaii
Name
Paul
Boat
Yamaha FXHO
When I was younger my dad would bring home some brutes, but they were all caught fishing for Onaga=super deep...
I'm thinking the reason we don't see the big ones Paul is tfat they are DEEP. Now that o think about it, when I saw triple digit AJ's caught in FL they usually came off of deep wrecks. Like 300+ft deep.
OK, that does it. I'm working on my breath holds tonight! :Zombie_Ro

-Paul