Jaysons999

Internet fisherman
  • Apr 5, 2015
    San marcos
    Name
    Jay
    Boat
    18' Starcraft “Ace of Spades”
    Launched from mb at 4 am this mornin. Hit the bait barge only to see our bait pump wasn't working so we motored off and got her goin. Next pass was for some lively 6 inch dines and mini macs. Made a b line for the 182 passing the nine that had 68 deg green water. Got to the high spot and it was lifeless no birds kelp nothing. Water was 71 and a tad cleaner. Decided to run to the 43 since the activity has been good there. Every sport boat in the fleet was out there it was crazy. We roll up and see some people hooked up and see some smaller grade tuna come over the rail. Now for the big mistake.... Grab my avet mxl spooled with 30 with floro top shot tail hook a nice dine and it's off. Put her in the rod holder and leave it in freespool. Grab my lx with a flatfall and make a couple drops for nada. Then it happens.... My buddy yells dude huge bluefin boil must be 100 plus! Uh oh it's crashing on my dine totally airborne. This fish proceeded to kick my ass for the next 2 hours. We chased this thing all over nearly spooled me a couple times.Had it barely to color 4 times only to pull the hook 20 feet out. i was surprised it had stayed buttoned for that long meanwhile the bait pump went out during the carnage bait rolled. Headed home about 2 pretty bumpy. Epic battle though. Go get em they're big!

Upvote 0

Ricsen

Apr 16, 2015
    Name
    Rich
    Boat
    Robalo 260 CC
    Know you have to be disappointed, but you did it right Jay.....you got out there, got your bait pump working, found the fish and put out the setup for the smaller grade. Can't help it if a freight train happens to come through and sounds like you did everything you could to get that beast in. I wish you could have landed that fish, but you'll put him on deck next time. Thanks for the timely report.

Upvote 0

Slater

cuss on Monday,pray on Sunday,dream about one day
    Jun 1, 2006
    Lakeside
    Name
    Rob
    Boat
    sold! / cattle boat
    Those are the ones that will haunt you & you will never forget, I hate those....

Upvote 0

Cigarboy

Almost A Member
    Aug 12, 2015
    Palm Springs CA / Shelter Island
    Name
    Ed
    Boat
    tunaholic
    That's how it works! My last 100lb I hooked I fought it for 1.5 hours on 40lb. Older reel. Thumbed him to loose at gaff. Now that I'm prepared, it's like I'm trying to hook a unicorn! Keeps is coming back year to year!!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Upvote 0

Forplay

Mikey likes it
    Oct 19, 2006
    40 over 10
    Name
    MC
    Boat
    c/s For-Play
    At least you got some good entertainment. I had a big blue take off and spool my avet with 40# braid, in about 30 seconds flat! Had to thumb it just to keep my line.

Upvote 0

blubby07

Aug 24, 2009
    Oceanside Ca
    Name
    Josh
    Boat
    21 Parker cc , and 2556 cierra yes its a bayliner (The Dude Man)
    Hey man at least you got to pull on one!
    I've gone 2000 miles and got one 70 lbs!
    If I had a beer for every big bluefin I've seen I would be hammered drunk!
    Cool report!
    Thanks and yes you will dream about that fish until your in the grave

Upvote 0

surfgoose

active geezer
  • Jul 29, 2010
    Long Beach, CA, USA
    Name
    Gary
    Boat
    whichever has the longest bunk
    At least you got to see it, you know what you were fighting. Keep fishing long enough and you will hook Godzilla or something down deep and it will head for Tokyo at warp speed and you will try every trick in the book to catch up and get it up and it will still eventually break off. THOSE are the ones that will haunt your dreams forever. Thanks for sharing the fight with us!

Upvote 0

Shark Meat

Diehard/Determined CAPT
    Apr 5, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    Glacier Bay 2670 Isle Runner - Shark Meat II
    Ah crap!

Upvote 0