RUNNOFT

Word of the Day: IceMelter
May 13, 2003
Orange County Kali
Name
OT - the Other Travis
Boat
Professional Boat Ho for now
Originally booked on the BigO95 but they canceled due to now enough anglers, so made a pivot over to fish with my 36 closest friends on the Condor instead. Weather out at Tanner was tooooo good to pass up. Loaded up right on time and off the docks Monday night.

Arrived at the ground just before sun-up, where we tried to get a few to go on the jigs...nuthin. Then at gray pulled up cozy style with the rest of the fleet in 300ft anchored and let the games begin. Getting 36 heads to work together floating bait on the pick was a cluster as to be expected. All worked out for the most part as the crew had the "fuck it cut it" rule if you fouled a hooked fish.

Fishing was a normal steady plunker, get a good bait to swim and out on a long soak you had a good chance to get bit. Many fishing heavy line, me no do that, so I pulled out my 8ft seeker with 20# braid and threw on a 25# top shot to give better chew protection. Light line, small hook, hot bait was the ticket. If the bait didn't swim, "your fired" and get another. Many didn't follow this rule and went home empty handed. ALWAYS CHANGE YOUR BAIT - GRACIAS.

During the plunker, had the frozen flyer on the kite out the whole time and it got smashed twice, but didn't' connect. During the mid lunch slow down pulled the pick and moved out the bank and flew the CA Flyer for a bit, got flashed a couple of times, but again no commitment. Turn back to the fleet, set up in-between the OG and Ex and started another afternoon plunker. A few bigger fish swam through and tried to die, one did the other has 100 ft of spectra floss as he spooled me right quick on the 20# Honestly don't think he had a clue he was hooked, just swam away at normal speed the whole time before I had to button down at then one tail swipe snap.

Pulled the pick at sundown to go find some bigger model to drop glow sticks on. Did that for a few stops before we had to head for the barn. A few larger models (140ish# biggest) came over the rail, all on the knife jigs...nothing on the flat falls.

Great trip and great weather on a nice platform and good crew. If you are going out to Tanner, light line, small hook change you bait. You'll get bit. Went 5-8 which is not a bad way of playing hooky from work. Good luck out there.

Oh BTW the fish that looks like I'm fingering his butthole was my first fish of the day, a lost yellowfin tuner.

petesmomsmoutisbigger.jpg

AliKicksPuppies.jpg

fingermybutthole.jpg

Tunahead

Long Time Tuna Abused Member
  • Aug 11, 2006
    Costa Mesa
    Name
    Ron
    Boat
    several
    Great Report/info/pics and NICE FISH!
    Condor my favorite boat for years. Missed
    the whole season having another surgery.
    SOME be MoBetta than None. Glad they
    got you on some fish. Was Trevor Capt?

Upvote 0

RUNNOFT

Word of the Day: IceMelter
    May 13, 2003
    Orange County Kali
    Name
    OT - the Other Travis
    Boat
    Professional Boat Ho for now
    Great Report/info/pics and NICE FISH!
    Condor my favorite boat for years. Missed
    the whole season having another surgery.
    SOME be MoBetta than None. Glad they
    got you on some fish. Was Trevor Capt?
    Confirmed - Trevor at the helm and down on the deck when it got a little schitzcreek

Upvote 0

guss

Jul 8, 2014
    Culver City
    Name
    Gus
    Boat
    None
    Originally booked on the BigO95 but they canceled due to now enough anglers, so made a pivot over to fish with my 36 closest friends on the Condor instead. Weather out at Tanner was tooooo good to pass up. Loaded up right on time and off the docks Monday night.

Arrived at the ground just before sun-up, where we tried to get a few to go on the jigs...nuthin. Then at gray pulled up cozy style with the rest of the fleet in 300ft anchored and let the games begin. Getting 36 heads to work together floating bait on the pick was a cluster as to be expected. All worked out for the most part as the crew had the "fuck it cut it" rule if you fouled a hooked fish.

Fishing was a normal steady plunker, get a good bait to swim and out on a long soak you had a good chance to get bit. Many fishing heavy line, me no do that, so I pulled out my 8ft seeker with 20# braid and threw on a 25# top shot to give better chew protection. Light line, small hook, hot bait was the ticket. If the bait didn't swim, "your fired" and get another. Many didn't follow this rule and went home empty handed. ALWAYS CHANGE YOUR BAIT - GRACIAS.

During the plunker, had the frozen flyer on the kite out the whole time and it got smashed twice, but didn't' connect. During the mid lunch slow down pulled the pick and moved out the bank and flew the CA Flyer for a bit, got flashed a couple of times, but again no commitment. Turn back to the fleet, set up in-between the OG and Ex and started another afternoon plunker. A few bigger fish swam through and tried to die, one did the other has 100 ft of spectra floss as he spooled me right quick on the 20# Honestly don't think he had a clue he was hooked, just swam away at normal speed the whole time before I had to button down at then one tail swipe snap.

Pulled the pick at sundown to go find some bigger model to drop glow sticks on. Did that for a few stops before we had to head for the barn. A few larger models (140ish# biggest) came over the rail, all on the knife jigs...nothing on the flat falls.

Great trip and great weather on a nice platform and good crew. If you are going out to Tanner, light line, small hook change you bait. You'll get bit. Went 5-8 which is not a bad way of playing hooky from work. Good luck out there.

Oh BTW the fish that looks like I'm fingering his butthole was my first fish of the day, a lost yellowfin tuner.

View attachment 1320747

View attachment 1320748

View attachment 1320750
    Super intel......500 yards 20# braid, 100 yards 25# topshot? What reel did you use on that set up?

RUNNOFT
    RUNNOFT
    Avet SX. All 20# braid (around 500 yards) and only put 3-6 ft floro topshot. I keep the reel small and the line thin, so the bait has the best shot at swimming like a rocket. Always butt hook bait, that way I can give pressure to run away from boat and stay swimming on a longer soak by giving a little "thumb back".
    Reactions: guss
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0

Bryantttt

• Jun 8, 2021
    Los Angeles
    Name
    Bryant
    Boat
    Bayliner Ciera 2252
    Is that the one that left this monday night and returned wednesday? I almost went on that one. Day before i noticed they were more than half empty. I worked Sunday night till 5am Monday so if I woke up before 11am I was gonna book it and drive the 4-5 hours to San Diego... forgot to set alarm and didn't wake up till almost 1pm, by that time it'd be too close of a call for me to arrive on time so I stayed home. Kind of bummed but glad you did well!

RUNNOFT
    RUNNOFT
    that was the one...you could have been #36
    Upvote 0
    Bryantttt
    Bryantttt
    Man I wish I had been. Oh well, next week. I was surprised there was so few people booked up and then last minute it just filled up.
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0