I've posted enough I should edit this section
Nov 16, 2003
The Darkside
Visit site
Name
Yutaka
Boat
XXX
Sorry for the lateness of this report from Saturday.

Launched out of Oceanside on Seahunter Eric’s rig with friend Andrew. Took a 200 heading to the break running inside the ridge. Fished one kelp on the way out that was loaded with Yellowtail – some good sized - but no go.

Lots of life out there. Hit 4 more kelps with Yellows for no love. Fished two Dolphin schools with Tuna marks underneath, but no hookups either. Trolled the Yummy Flyer under the kite for not even a sniff. Long day with nothing to show.

Decided to try and find that first kelp on the way in, but I spotted a group of Terns working. Turned towards them and found a foamer of Tuna underneath. Slid up and Eric flings a green surface iron into the school. Fish came up and slurped it. Game on!

He was on a 9 foot jig stick with a Tranx, so the fish really worked him. But Eric did a great job, and I was able to stick a gaff into it in short order. Big Yellowfin.

The school was still up, so we slid up to it again. Andrew was able to get a couple of casts into it before they sank out. Tended to the fish while we waited for them to pop up again (hopefully). It bottomed out the 60 pound scale, so we took measurements. 63 pounds.

That’s pretty insane, considering we were only about 15 miles off Carlsbad. I mean, that’s Guadalupe class!

The fish never came up again, so we called it a day and headed in. Only one fish caught that day, but it was a dandy!

Mcgyver

Catcher of fish, releaser of few!
Nov 23, 2005
San Diego
www.calcofi.org
Name
David Mcgyver
Boat
17.5' Seafair Sedan, Sea Hag
NIce fish for Eric, he was due....or overdue for a nice one. Let's hope it is signs of things to come. The fish are out there it is just a matter of getting them to bite.

Reactions: Yutaka

Tar Pit

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Mar 7, 2006
Reno NV
Name
Friend of Bucko Shaw
Boat
None.
When you dressed out that fish did you notice what it had been eating? Red crab, anchovies, squid or sardines? The last few years the fish have been full of crab and squid.

Reactions: rick rouland

la vida

Now I love our Prezzz!!!
Jun 28, 2006
El Cazonn
Name
Frank F
Boat
Boat-less (Sad)
Very cool!!

Pgnracr

Sep 3, 2014
HB
Name
Jeff
Boat
Line up
Awesome fish!!! We saw big models jumping and they did not have that white lower fin!!! We thought maybe lighting!! But a 92 lbs was on new Lo-an a week ago!! So I think both. It was July last year when it turned more yft locally then bft north!!

ReelTight

Reeltard
Aug 24, 2015
oceanside ca
Name
Robert Harned
Boat
"Yeah, She's Gone!" 175 Aquasport Striper
Nice catch! I got a 70# yft 5 off oside 2 years back! The summer yft fishing is just heating up