BIG Hooks....

Discussion in 'San Diego Long Range fishing Reports' started by Steve K, Oct 16, 2015.

1. Steve K

Steve K Hey, I'm gettin' bit...

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
    ... very low prices. Because we use them on the longer trips, seems like the right place to post this. I know some of the guys have used these Ringed Circle Hooks from these guys. I bought some and got the 4X in 2/0 and 3/0. Found the gap a bit challenging for shoulder or breast hooking Sardines, but for nose hooking they work just fine.

But I'm more interested in your thoughts on these bigger hooks. 6/0 and 7/0 for use probably making up Double Trouble leaders. And also the three types of larger 11/0 and 12/0 size J hooks, similar to a 7691.

Look them over at http://www.sanhutackle.com/hooks.html

Last edited: Oct 16, 2015
  2. ifish42na

ifish42na No Bad Days

Name:
    Basil
    Boat:
    Friends With Boats
    Chinese steel = broken hooks.

hot tuna, Fishybuzz and Squid Sammich like this.
  3. Bill W

Bill W tunaholic

Name:
    Bill Walsh
    Boat:
    Red Rooster
    Although the numbers of a couple are the same as Eagle Claw, without the name brand I have to assume that they are knock offs..

Fishybuzz likes this.
  4. okie man

okie man I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    kerry way
    Boat:
    18' javalin
    I'm picky about things like hooks and swivels! Brands like mustad and spro that have proven to preform are really the only bargain to me! We had really tough fishing on my 14 day trip. I only hooked 3 large tuna. Would of sucked to lost them to cheap hooks or swivels!

Fishybuzz and Fish Asassin like this.
  5. JohnTFT

JohnTFT Insomniac

Name:
    John
    Boat:
    A big Steel One
    We got a great deal on some 7691SS hooks. Too good to pass up so I ordered a couple of thousand. On a whim I sent 10 random hooks out to be tested.

The results were eye opening and frightening. Every hook was 70% weaker then the test group which were Norway produced (Not Mustad China) 7691. They broke, twisted, deformed in all sorts of bad ways.

Returned them all.

Buyer beware. Not all deals are what they seem.

6. Halfprice

Halfprice Member

Name:
    Jerry
    Boat:
    Independence
    I use them all the time. I buy them on ebay. I use 1/0 to 5/0 for live bait and dropper loop. If there are 100lb+ tuna in the area I use Super Mutus.

I also get the J hooks and use them to free line bait. If the tuna or YT swallow the hook I just have the deck hand cut the line. It faster for me to retie a new hook than for them to dig it out of the fish. I consider these hooks throw aways. I've never had a problem with them. None have broken or straighten out.

Jerry

7. feeder

feeder I gaff sardines....

Name:
    Greg
    Boat:
    Intrepid
    Thousands of dollars to go on the trip, a few grand more in rods and reels and who knows how much on beer. Hooks and line should not come from the bargain bin when cows are involved.

8. Pangamaster

Pangamaster Cow Town Here I come!

Name:
    Dave
    Boat:
    SD Long Range or Bay Area Day Boats.
    Tricky situation.....spending more money doesn't mean you're getting a better product. But made in China with the same naming convention as a well known brand...Eagle Claw 2004...hmmmmm Basil sells a single Eagle Claw 2004 ringed 11/0 hook for $2 bucks....not a bad deal. The Chinese ringed hooks ...largest size is 7/0 go for $15 for 30. 50 cents each......

First I don't trust them because they are trying to copy Eagle Claw.

Second...provide some stats and facts about where your products came from....and test results and marketing to prove your product.

LR big fish fishing....you only get a few chances....if you're a Soda pop and get a lot of chances to test things out....maybe....

Otherwise be the guinea pig but please go in the backyard and pull like a mo fo! If they work....sweet!

If they do end up working we can add this to the money saving list of LR savings. Otherwise we need to all switch to Fluoro carbon leaders for Mauraders and wahoo jigs and stick with our current designer hooks.

9. 3GunSalute

3GunSalute Nocturnal Snow Monkey

Name:
    Peter
    Boat:
    14' Valco, Excel
    Greetings,
    Long time listener, first time caller.
    I purport to know absolutely NOTHING about catching cows. The fish in my avatar (225#) was the product of my first bait in the water upon dropping the anchor at HB on my first long trip. The tuna gods sucked me right in! I credit the crew of the Ex and several of my fellow passengers (Turd in particular-you are the man) with the catch. I was just there-- getting my ass whipped for a couple hours... Of course I am "hooked"-- paid in full for next years trip, but I have niggling concerns. It seems to me that assuming proper rod, reel, line, (Don't tell my wife) the crucial factors are connections and the hook.
    My rookie wind on held up admirably(THANK YOU Bill Moore of Gut Barge fame!!! You are a gentleman and a scholar. Your patience and generosity in teaching myself and others was amazing) but, about the hook...?...
    The Mustad 4X 39943NP-BN demon circle I have saved for posterity is considerably straighter than its unused siblings.
    Drag was set at 26#@ strike. I never went past that point but I have the feeling that future success will require more like 30# of drag.
    So, does anyone else have experience with these "premium" hooks straightening? I fear Id have lost the beast had the fight lasted much longer or I'd pulled harder.
    I know I will likely go many trips for my next cow. With SO MANY factors beyond one's control, it seems foolhardy to enter into battle without complete confidence that one's gear (that which is under one's control). I'm looking for suggestions for more reliable hooks. Or did I just get a bum batch???
    What say the experts?

Tim Turis likes this.
  10. ripped

ripped I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Gary
    Boat:
    Vagabond
    I am of the mind set is to try them. I've purchased SS southern hooks up to 11/0 on Ebay as well as the ringed circles as mentioned above, up to 6/0. The souther's were dull and needed to be filed but are now sharp as a razor. At $2 a piece it's well worth the effort and have preformed as hoped. The circles are good as they come. The important thing when buying this stuff is to test it extensively and see how they hold up well past any drag settings. Pre measure, fast pull/drop on cable, slow pull, point pull, bend pull. By all means wear safety glasses! There is crap out there for sure but also some real value if you do your home work.

Steve K likes this.
  11. Bill W

Bill W tunaholic

Name:
    Bill Walsh
    Boat:
    Red Rooster
    Captain Andy says there is not a hook that cannot fail.

Mutu's break and Mustads bend, that is a fact. Get a hook in a solid spot and the fish turn is like bending a hook in a vice.

We all have our favorite hooks and will use them until that really big one gets away. (or see someone else loose one) Not comfortable going Harbor Freight with cows when my present hook costs 60 cents...

Fishybuzz and dh515 like this.
  12. screamingreel

screamingreel Long Range Fanatic

Name:
    Jeff Burroughs
    Boat:
    Long Range and Private
    Mustad's break too....had a 7/0 39943 snap in the middle on a nice fish. It was my first-time ever hook failure so I am chalking it up to an anomaly.

Hooks are relatively inexpensive when cow fishing, so I prefer to buy premium hooks for piece of mind and confidence pulling with many pounds of drag.

- Jeff Burroughs

strackle99 and Bigfishhateme like this.
  13. David Brewer

David Brewer Member

Name:
    Dave Brewer
    Boat:
    none

Please share what hooks have worked for you when landing cows at this price. Thanks

14. Bill W

Bill W tunaholic

Name:
    Bill Walsh
    Boat:
    Red Rooster
    Ask JohnTFT if he has some left. I used to buy bulk from him. VMC Dynamic in 6/0 (and 5/0) A 6X strong hook made of vanadium steel. 30% stronger and 30% lighter than high carbon steel. I do not buy the ringed hooks...

http://www.tunafishtackle.com/vmc-dynamic-hook-1050p/

Last edited: Oct 17, 2015
  15. Fishybuzz

Fishybuzz fishybuzz

Name:
    David Tang
    Boat:
    Intrepid

Yep thanks to Bill W I also stocked up on 5/0 and 6/0 vmc Dynamics very strong sharp J hook……..very hard hook to find.

ALL hooks can and will fail just some more than others……..I personally use a circle hook that many run from, Eagle Claw 2004's….never had a hook failure with them and have landed quite a few large fish with them…..they seem to set in the corner of the fish's mouth 95% of the time…..

Find a hook you have confidence in and use it……...

Last edited: Oct 17, 2015
  16. Bill W

Bill W tunaholic

Name:
    Bill Walsh
    Boat:
    Red Rooster
    Frank got in to a bad batch of Eagle Claw 2004. Being Frank, he banned them from his boat...

Good to hear they work for you though fishy...

Fishybuzz likes this.
  17. Bigfishhateme

Bigfishhateme Semper Fi

Name:
    Sigmund
    Boat:
    "The Sea Monster"
    Piece of mind and confidence...Charlie Brown's

18. Steve K

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    Yep, looks like they have a circle hook they refer to as an "L2004" but only the offset one bears a resemblance to the Eagle Claw L2004. Then, they have 3 J Hooks, one that they call a 7691S, a model number that Mustad uses. I don't have any of these hooks, but have understood in the past that for giant Yellowfin, the Stainless Steel hooks were not used so much, in favor of the Duratin, Mustad 7691DT.

Speaking of Mustad, I'm sure John from TFT will be happy to refresh our memory on his experience with the Mustad 4X 39943NP-BN demon circle. :)

Thanks to all of you who have replied, lots of information from some well respected folks.

19. Bill W

Bill W tunaholic

Name:
    Bill Walsh
    Boat:
    Red Rooster
    You are well respected too Steve. I just happened to catch a thought...

By the way, I caught a 300 pounder on the kite with 39943-BN 9/0. Since then it's my double trouble hook of choice.

20. Steve K

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    Very kind of you to say that, Bill. Have you seen any failures with that Mustad hook?

Last edited: Oct 18, 2015