Big game surf fishing socal??

I know it's out there and I'm looking to get pointed in the right direction..??

• Penn carnage 2

Votes: 7 58.3%
  • Ugly stik

Votes: 5 41.7%

• Total voters

FISH86R

Nov 6, 2017
So Cal
Name
Brian Shea
Boat
MyTwoFeet
I've heard rumors of people catching toothy predators off our beaches I'm just trying to find the when and where's..

ripped

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Dec 5, 2007
Santa Barbara
Name
Gary
Boat
Vagabond
Lots of youtube videos on how to find the wheres ( reading a beach ) as well as the whens. 90% of the fish will always be found in 10% of the water. Doesn't mater if it's off shore or the surf. Invest in a pair of waders and a few Lucky Craft lures 110 size with some blue in them and go for it.

FISH86R

Nov 6, 2017
So Cal
Name
Brian Shea
Boat
MyTwoFeet
Thanks for the tip on the LC110.. But I'm looking for shark and I'm really thinking I'm gonna be on my own here.. There's no west coast videos on it and I've only found 1 or 2 articles on it.. I was just trying to cheat a little bit.. Guess the foot work is mine to put in.. Hahaha..

Reactions: newguy01

FISH86R

Nov 6, 2017
So Cal
Name
Brian Shea
Boat
MyTwoFeet
Haha.. The sick truth.. I have been chasing drop offs on typography maps of socal.. And that part is going hand and hand.. I just need the bait fish there too..

SouthBayKiller

Mar 27, 2003
Long Beach, CA
Name
Robert
Boat
none
If by toothy you mean sharks, it can be done, most of the will be leopards and won’t need wire, just a good hook and some 100lb mono leaders. Use A slab of mackerel or a squid and cast out just beyOnd the waves. Find a sandy beach near some rocks\kelp. Also may get a rarer soup fin this way as well. When I was much younger we would use our jig sticks for this with #40 mainline.

PHT

Feb 23, 2005
Capo Beach
Name
Tedd
Boat
yours, I'll scrub and pay
Lots of youtube videos on how to find the wheres ( reading a beach ) as well as the whens. 90% of the fish will always be found in 10% of the water. Doesn't mater if it's off shore or the surf. Invest in a pair of waders and a few Lucky Craft lures 110 size with some blue in them and go for it.
Sound like Kovach..90% of the fisherman catch 10% of the fish. Put in time and befriend and support your local tackle dealer. You are on your way Danielson!

larry dickson

Jul 16, 2012
LA CA USA
Name
Chuck Roast
Boat
20' Skip
If I recall there is guy buy the name of Bill Varney who writes and has a website all about surf fishing in southern California. Sounds like a real knowledgable and nice guy. I am sure you can google him up and learn a lot. he has written a book or 2 also. Has a column in western outdoor news , and have heard him on "Lets talk hook up" too. used to do a little of that type of fishing in the 70"s with a good friend and outstanding fisherman, mostly at night. 10' rods, jigmasters w/ 40# mono. squid, bonita & mackeral chunks for bait. leopard sharks, stingrays, ocassional soupfin etc... lots of fun. good luck

FISH86R

Nov 6, 2017
So Cal
Name
Brian Shea
Boat
MyTwoFeet
Try prehistoricsoul.com
Aaahahaha.. I'm smoked out man.. When you first posted this I checked it out but I went to "prehistoric.com" .. I was like what kinda bs dinosaur crap is this guy trying to sell.. But now that I went to "prehistoricsoul" it all makes sense and is probably one of the best leads so far..

Reactions: makairaa

makairaa

May 1, 2005
Tustin CA
Name
Philip Hunkins
Boat
17 starcraft
Aaahahaha.. I'm smoked out man.. When you first posted this I checked it out but I went to "prehistoric.com" .. I was like what kinda bs dinosaur crap is this guy trying to sell.. But now that I went to "prehistoricsoul" it all makes sense and is probably one of the best leads so far..
Their facebook page is also good. You can ask questions of a lot of the guys and most will answer. Some might even invite you along to show you where and how they are doing it.

muletrain

Well-Known "Member"
Sep 9, 2006
san clemente
Name
mark
Boat
Carolina skiff for the bay / Hobie Mirage
I have routinely caught many sharks surf fishing bolsa chica / Huntington Beach. Lots of 4-5 foot leopards and lots of big bat rays. Even some mystery fish that have dumped 400 yards of line off my reel

My go to rig is 9 foot jig stick. Diawa sealine 50 with 50-60 power pro. 4-5 foot leader of 40lb mono. Spider hitch the mono. 5/0 octopus owner hook. 5 or 6 oz pyramid weight.

Bait is where it’s at.........try and make surf perch or any other fresh fish you can catch in the surf. Like they always say. MATCH THE HATCH

I use About 7 foot PVC pipe for a rod holder. Dig down and bury the PVC about 2 feet in the sand to make sure your rod is secure. Lost a nice setup a few years back watching my rod get launched in the air when a big boy took my bait and ultimately my whole set up

Hope this helps. GOOD LUCK

PHT

Feb 23, 2005
Capo Beach
Name
Tedd
Boat
If by toothy you mean sharks, it can be done, most of the will be leopards and won’t need wire, just a good hook and some 100lb mono leaders. Use A slab of mackerel or a squid and cast out just beyOnd the waves. Find a sandy beach near some rocks\kelp. Also may get a rarer soup fin this way as well. When I was much younger we would use our jig sticks for this with #40 mainline.
soupfin?

PHT

Feb 23, 2005
Capo Beach
Name
Tedd
Boat
I have routinely caught many sharks surf fishing bolsa chica / Huntington Beach. Lots of 4-5 foot leopards and lots of big bat rays. Even some mystery fish that have dumped 400 yards of line off my reel

My go to rig is 9 foot jig stick. Diawa sealine 50 with 50-60 power pro. 4-5 foot leader of 40lb mono. Spider hitch the mono. 5/0 octopus owner hook. 5 or 6 oz pyramid weight.

Bait is where it’s at.........try and make surf perch or any other fresh fish you can catch in the surf. Like they always say. MATCH THE HATCH

I use About 7 foot PVC pipe for a rod holder. Dig down and bury the PVC about 2 feet in the sand to make sure your rod is secure. Lost a nice setup a few years back watching my rod get launched in the air when a big boy took my bait and ultimately my whole set up

Hope this helps. GOOD LUCK
knows his shit. Great advice.

rrocco

Mar 1, 2012
Corona
Name
Robert
Boat
sheworthy
Have personally seen several thresher sharks being caught off of the Huntington Beach pier. Bring a pier gaff with strong rope if you do, as it's the only way to get them up. If successful you'll be rewarded with some amazing eats.

FISH86R

Nov 6, 2017
So Cal
Name
Brian Shea
Boat
MyTwoFeet
Have personally seen several thresher sharks being caught off of the Huntington Beach pier. Bring a pier gaff with strong rope if you do, as it's the only way to get them up. If successful you'll be rewarded with some amazing eats.
Ya... But I don't want to eat them.. I just wanna pet there belly (maybe give them a kiss on the cheek) and let'em go.. I mostly stick to catch and release..