Offshore BIG CHICKENS IN THE SLOP 8/14

chasintail

Sep 25, 2005
S.F. Valley
Name
doug
Boat
38 Tiara open
We(the four of us) left Pedro headed for Pyramid Mon aft. "We got the BOOT from the Mark V Navy boat, they were cool , They wanted to bomb some shit, you know? "practice for the F...... Taliban" So.......We headed for the way west fly towards Tanner 24 over 42 to sleep on the water, Bad Idea. It Sucked! Bumpin & rolling all night. Started trolling 5:00 a.m First strike at 7:30 Non stop all day until 2:00 24 boated 7 on bait all Quality 25lbs+ albies all in the same area with the Big boys Excell ,Prowler you name them, they were there. Water was approx 67 deg. Another awsome day, but very rough water We stopped in avolon to clean for 1.5 hrs., got back to Pedro by 7:00 P>M>
with all fish cleaned ,200+ gallons ,OUCH!

Oh Ya ,It was zuccini & mexflag lures (no cedar plugs worked, which I thought was odd)

Check out this recipe It kicks ass!!

SMITTY'S CANNING INSTRUCTIONS

Start by catching a lot of fish! (And then don't wait long, the fresher the better).
Oily fish (yellowtail, tuna, albacore, etc.) works best but not required. Fish without much oil (dorado, bass, etc.) works fine but substitute water with oil.

Fill cleaned (sanitized) 1 pint wide mouth Mason or Kerr's jars to within ½ to 1/4 inch of top with fish fillets (small bones need not be removed as they will dissolve).

add 1 tbs. water, 1/2tbs of salt
Note that I modify Smitty's recipe here by adding chopped jalapeno or Serrano pepper, 1 clove garlic sliced, blob of chopped selantro, a splash of olive oil, some sliced onion and instead of water I fill the jar half full of beer. :hali_ruahahaha::hali_ruahahaha:

Put new tops on the jars. I wipe the top of the and the seal of the lids with a film of olive oil.

Screw the tops on snugly. (They don't have to be real tight)

Place jars in pressure cooker.

Add water to the pressure cooker 3/4 of the way up the first layer of jars.

Seal the pressure cooker

Cook 1 and ½ hours after pressure cooker starts to rock

Allow pressure to drop

Remove jars and let stand at room tempature. You should hear them seal. A snap or pop. All jars that do not seal (noticed by hollow sound when top is tapped) need to be refrigerated quickly and eaten within a few days. (Bummer, but delicious.)

Sealed jars will last until tops lose their seal.

fishing004.jpg fishing002.jpg fishing005.jpg fishing006.jpg fishing007.jpg fishing008.jpg fishing009.jpg

Upvote 0

Tunahead

Long Time Tuna Abused Member
  • Aug 11, 2006
    Costa Mesa
    Name
    Ron
    Boat
    several
    REALLY GREAT REPORT...AND NICE LOAD! I'm sitting at work DROOLING now! Thanks! lol

*I'm gonna' try that canning recipe after a 5.5 day trip in a couple weeks! Sounds GOOD!

Upvote 0

The Sea Hag

Cookie Purveyor
    Feb 15, 2007
    South Bay
    www.facebook.com
    Name
    Pam
    Boat
    Can I Fish on Yours...?
    Sounds about like my recipe, Doug. I caught 10 yellowtail on the Ultra over Memorial Day and canned two batches of that, some with jalenos and some with garlic. I did some in half pints this time, too. Then I don't end up eating fish spread sandwiches for a week if I'm the only one eating it!!

I've done albacore before, and it was excellent.

The beer in it sounds great though, I'll have to try that! Thanks for posting that!! They still sealed ok?

The investment in a pressure cooker is pretty steep, but in the end it's worth it. I've done quite a bit of canning now, and have never had a jar fail to seal. If you follow the instructions it should be no problem. But do be sure to follow all the instructions to a "T"!! Bad home canned fish can contain botulism, and is quite deadly!!

Upvote 0

Albacrazy

NUCKIN FUTS 4 2NA
    Sep 24, 2006
    Vegas
    Name
    Drew
    Boat
    18' Coleman
    Murder Murder! Somebody call Peta...

Helluva load. Nice work!

Upvote 0

dessie99

Jun 18, 2005
    San Diego
    Name
    Ian
    Boat
    21' parker sport cabin "Toe Jam"
    hey man I'm planning on doing something similar labor day weekend of staying out by the fly how was the traffic at night and was drifting bad

Upvote 0

chasintail

Sep 25, 2005
    S.F. Valley
    Name
    doug
    Boat
    38 Tiara open
    hey man I'm planning on doing something similar labor day weekend of staying out by the fly how was the traffic at night and was drifting bad

A couple of Boats did set off the alarms but never got to close the water was horrible Barely slept......... Be carefull and check the weather.

Upvote 0