flyliner

@thereelflyliner
Aug 19, 2007
Santa Monica
Name
Jonathan
Boat
31' Cabo Express
I had the rare opportunity to fish during the week last Friday - and we decided to hit Catalina. We got a giant scoop of squid from the Long Beach Carnage near Avalon and headed around the east end looking for seabass and yellows. I knew the morning tide was weak - so I just wanted to scout around and find a zone to set-up in as we waited for the much stronger late afternoon high tide.

There were a ton of boats fishing the backside East End. I knew there were fish caught here over the last several days, and we saw a few boats gaff some medium sized yellows as we passed by, but I have no interest in fishing with crowds - so we continued on down the backside.

Never really saw anything I liked conditions wise. There was an area mid backside with 3-4 sportties catching small to medium sized yellowtail.....meh. We tried one spot I like that was wide open on the calicos with a few tiny yellows swiming around - but no signs of bigger fish...so we left that spot after 30 min.

Backside West End was rough and cold.....but fishy. Probably could have caught fish here, but opted to head around to the front side. That was a good call. While the backside was mostly cold, cloudy, and a little rough - the front side was warm, sunny, and flat calm (as usual). Also - way less boat pressure.

Found a nice little zone and anchored up for the long haul. Started chuming live squid and trying not to catch calicos - which were stupid wide open. Eventually we started getting some huge blow ups on our chummed squid by BIG yellows.

Stephen hooked up first on the flyline squid. Nice big fish. Then I hooked up and almost got spooled on a Trinidad 12a. That fish pulled so hard, so fast, that we both thought maybe I had hooked a calico bass that was immediately eaten by a sealion? Weird.

I am embarassed to say that I tightened my drag down all the way to try to break off the "sealion" - but in doing so I stopped it and actually started gaining line back and feeling massive tail beats. Guess it wasn't a sealion.....quickly backed off the drag obviously....lol.

Anyway, long story short, we kept 3 big yellows and released the rest. We could have kept our limits of 30 pound class fish if we had wanted - but that's way too much fish for us and too much work to process anyway.

Super fun afternoon and the first day that actually felt like summer. These fish kicked our ass on light tackle and it was awesome.

Jonathan

7D58C440-9ABC-46C9-9EAC-1A91BF7CDE57.jpeg

D8C60775-0874-4F33-AE6F-9876B14815FE.jpeg
3D0C3F49-EFC0-4D3E-B604-5AB3288BECE6.jpeg

5F355016-349E-4309-940D-4ECA7955782A.jpeg
201F7E3A-2303-4E28-9116-3C2A4DCCBFC9.jpeg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Northeastfshman

I see OJ
  • Dec 20, 2008
    San Clemente
    Name
    Brett Weinberg
    Boat
    Parker 2120SCDV
    Sounds exactly like our day on Saturday but those things are just straight slugs.

Congrats man! Sick grade. So funny we couldn't get a touch (including bass) on the squid fishing the front but the yellows were all over our fin bait. Go figure.

Reactions: flyliner
    Upvote 0

Blackfish

Marble collector.
    Sep 20, 2005
    My Backyard
    Name
    Boat
    toy
    That is a very nice frontside yellow. Congrats.

1556043_438cd90f0faad70443bfacc72c6ef53d.jpeg

Upvote 0
    P

Paddyman1

I had the rare opportunity to fish during the week last Friday - and we decided to hit Catalina. We got a giant scoop of squid from the Long Beach Carnage near Avalon and headed around the east end looking for seabass and yellows. I knew the morning tide was weak - so I just wanted to scout around and find a zone to set-up in as we waited for the much stronger late afternoon high tide.

There were a ton of boats fishing the backside East End. I knew there were fish caught here over the last several days, and we saw a few boats gaff some medium sized yellows as we passed by, but I have no interest in fishing with crowds - so we continued on around the backside.

Never really saw anything I liked conditions wise. There was an area mid backside with 3-4 sportties catching small to medium sized yellowtail.....meh. We tried one spot I like that was wide open on the calicos with a few tiny yellows swiming around - but no signs of bigger fish...so we left that spot after 30 min.

Backside West End was rough and cold.....but fishy. Probably could have caught fish here, but opted to head around to the front side. That was a good call. While the backside was mostly cold, cloudy, and a little rough - the front side was warm, sunny, and flat calm (as usual). Also - way less boat pressure.

Found a nice little zone and anchored up for the long haul. Started chuming live squid and trying not to catch calicos - which were stupid wide open. Eventually we started getting some huge blow ups on our chummed squid by BIG yellows.

Stephen hooked up first on the flyline squid. Nice big fish. Then I hooked up and almost got spooled on a Trinidad 12a. That fish pulled so hard, so fast, that we both thought maybe I had hooked a calico bass that was immediately eaten by a sealion? Weird.

I am embarassed to say that I tightened my drag down all the way to try to break off the "sealion" - but in doing so I stopped it and actually started gaining line back and feeling massive tail beats. Guess it wasn't a sealion.....quickly backed off the drag obviously....lol.

Anyway, long story short, we kept 3 big yellows and released the rest. We could have kept our limits of 30 pound class fish if we had wanted - but that's way too much fish for us and too much work to process anyway.

Super fun afternoon and the first day that actually felt like summer. These fish kicked our ass on light tackle and it was awesome.

Jonathan

View attachment 1042916
    View attachment 1042914 View attachment 1042915
    View attachment 1042912 View attachment 1042913
    Nice work, Jonathan! We were clearly in the wrong place. I hope Mike Hanson doesn't see this post! LOL

Upvote 0

gettingbentwithbo

Subscribe to my YouTube Channel!
    Mar 7, 2009
    Riverside
    gettingbentwithbo.com
    Name
    Bo
    Boat
    16' Starcraft SF SS
    Those are some nice yellows!

Upvote 0

SPChamp1

Oct 20, 2017
    San Pedro
    Name
    Cabel
    Boat
    Non
    Those YT are absolutely stunning! Awesome job.

Can’t wait to get the invite again on my buddy’s boat.

We fished the frontside about 2 weeks ago and while we got into some really good calico bites, and a few Barracuda, we couldn’t find the YT’s. He went out last week again and went 1/3 on the yellows and find a nice sized halibut to go along with a few more calico’s.

Upvote 0

flyliner

@thereelflyliner
    Aug 19, 2007
    Santa Monica
    Name
    Jonathan
    Boat
    31' Cabo Express
    Sick day and nice fish. What camera were those pictures taken on? They are amazing

Thanks very much. Those pics were taken on my I-phone, I think I have the 8 or the 9. The 10 (which my wife has) - takes incredible photos for a phone.

Reactions: C_Parm
    Upvote 0

flyliner

@thereelflyliner
    Aug 19, 2007
    Santa Monica
    Name
    Jonathan
    Boat
    31' Cabo Express
    Sounds exactly like our day on Saturday but those things are just straight slugs.

Congrats man! Sick grade. So funny we couldn't get a touch (including bass) on the squid fishing the front but the yellows were all over our fin bait. Go figure.

Thanks man. Not suprised about the fin bait being way more effective for you guys. Most of the yellows we found east and even middle of the Island were responding better to fin bait. However - there is a ton of squid west - (along with a little bit better grade of fish) and I think those west area yellows are more into the squid right now - though they are eating to the fin bait too.

Reactions: Northeastfshman
    Upvote 0

Pizzica

Almost A Member
    May 24, 2009
    oceanside,ca
    Name
    joe
    Boat
    19' SEAPRO
    NICE!! I was there with WIFEY for her 1st time on the Island and to celebrate out 30th so missed out on fishing but maybe after she sees what you guys got,next year will be a trip planned for more than just the HUGE amounts of calico's we spotted in the GLASS BOTTOM boat!!:jig:

Upvote 0

jspana

Cali*Co
    Jul 28, 2014
    laverne
    Name
    Joe
    Boat
    Humble1 222 C-Hawk sport cabin
    WOW! Hope this is a good start to what could be a completely wide open summer! I would have been happy with the wide open Calico bite haha!! Way to stay on the hunt and find them

Upvote 0

FloMar

Hired Gun!
    Apr 28, 2004
    CA.
    Name
    John Collar
    Boat
    Parker 2320
    SLUG Yellowtail indeed, great pictures too!
    Thank You for saving some for the rest of us.
    That's some good karma, your next trip should be even better.

Upvote 0

Tunaslam

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Apr 25, 2003
    Diamond Bar, Ca 91765
    Name
    Cory Visser
    Boat
    N/A
    Excellent job guys, you found the sweet spot on the island and made it work! Fine job.

Upvote 0