PENN

chef gabe

Eat the collars!
Aug 23, 2014
Dana Point
Name
Gabe
Boat
Aqua Pazza (translates to Crazy Water and this is the name of an Italian Fishermans Stew)
on Saturday we headed out of Dana point early and made the trek down toward oside up to 209 over to 277/152 down to the 14 mile and back to the barn. Nada!! We stopped on the biggest kelps in the bluest of waters I've ever seen around the 14 mile. Found one paddy all day that had something on it and the rats didn't want our cheese. Rode some ponies but no luck their either.

So Sunday/yesterday I decided we would go farther south and try our luck. Well in an odd twist of fate and I can now call it luck we needed to go get fuel at oside as I'd burned more than I thought the day before. Heading in we found a paddy and I'm on with a dorado. It's jumping and we are in shock as it was only about 3 miles from the harbor. After a few displays it pulled the hook. After some more attempts from afar We pull up and see several swimming around but now they are spooked and lockjaw. I keep staring at the fuel gauge so we moved on. We get gas. Crazy pricey in oside with only super at over $4??? Head out and turn south. Go a few miles and stop on mako. Tried to bait it and no go. Kept going. Somewhere around Encinitas we stop on another paddy. Fish on and we land a nice little hen. Go back and repeat only this time we find the big bull. It was an epic fight on a small hook with light line and light gear. But we got him. High fives and we got beat up the whole way back to Dana point against wind and swell.

What worked: dropping down on line and hook size. Slow trolling sardines AROUND the paddy and not on it. I can't tell you how many people I've seen pull straight up to a paddy this year. Look around and either bail or try to catch the fish they just spooked. Casting and drifting downswell or slow trolling around a paddy from at least 50 feet is the way to go. Just my $.02.

Enjoy the pics. Clearly my son and I were stoked beyond believe. I hope this helps anyone lucky enough to get on the water during the work week without as much pressure.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Upvote 0

Dan Salazar

Aug 23, 2014
Costa Mesa
Name
Dan Salazar
Boat
Rum Runner
Beautiful fish great picture
I went through the same thing at Oceanside they only sell premium it's like 4:39/gallon crazy
Do you use a small swivel on that slow troll method.

Upvote 0

Shewillbemine

"should of" is NOT a thing
  • Oct 19, 2012
    California
    Name
    Shewillbemine
    Boat
    Chips N Guac
    Thanks for the report and nice day!

When you pull up to a paddy, do you try fishing it no matter what or do you meter fish and leave if you see nothing?

Upvote 0

chef gabe

Eat the collars!
    Aug 23, 2014
    Dana Point
    Name
    Gabe
    Boat
    Aqua Pazza (translates to Crazy Water and this is the name of an Italian Fishermans Stew)
    Beautiful fish great picture
    I went through the same thing at Oceanside they only sell premium it's like 4:39/gallon crazy
    Do you use a small swivel on that slow troll method.
    I have not been because the troll is so slow. I go as slow as I can. I have ruined some line when doing it with macs at higher speeds so I do like using swivels usually. I also wonder if they could see it. They were so line shy as it was.

Upvote 0

chef gabe

Eat the collars!
    Aug 23, 2014
    Dana Point
    Name
    Gabe
    Boat
    Thanks for the report and nice day!

When you pull up to a paddy, do you try fishing it no matter what or do you meter fish and leave if you see nothing?
    Great question. I always try. I've got several yellowtail and another dorado this year and I didn't see any of them. Stay back 50 feet and try first. I always do a slow drive by after I try just to see if they are there. If they are they are probably lockjaw if they didn't hit my bait earlier. I don't have side scanner and a lot of time they are surface fish swimming in big circles around the paddy.

Upvote 0

Hollis Harris

Almost A Member
    Jul 6, 2017
    Riverside, ca
    Name
    Randy
    Boat
    Sea hunt
    Great question. I always try. I've got several yellowtail and another dorado this year and I didn't see any of them. Stay back 50 feet and try first. I always do a slow drive by after I try just to see if they are there. If they are they are probably lockjaw if they didn't hit my bait earlier. I don't have side scanner and a lot of time they are surface fish swimming in big circles around the paddy.
    Sounds like the paddy we fished on Saturday morning, good tip on upswell fishing, and staying outside on light tackle. Thanks

Upvote 0

Mojo1

Apr 24, 2015
    Ca
    Name
    None
    Boat
    None
    on Saturday we headed out of Dana point early and made the trek down toward oside up to 209 over to 277/152 down to the 14 mile and back to the barn. Nada!! We stopped on the biggest kelps in the bluest of waters I've ever seen around the 14 mile. Found one paddy all day that had something on it and the rats didn't want our cheese. Rode some ponies but no luck their either.

So Sunday/yesterday I decided we would go farther south and try our luck. Well in an odd twist of fate and I can now call it luck we needed to go get fuel at oside as I'd burned more than I thought the day before. Heading in we found a paddy and I'm on with a dorado. It's jumping and we are in shock as it was only about 3 miles from the harbor. After a few displays it pulled the hook. After some more attempts from afar We pull up and see several swimming around but now they are spooked and lockjaw. I keep staring at the fuel gauge so we moved on. We get gas. Crazy pricey in oside with only super at over $4??? Head out and turn south. Go a few miles and stop on mako. Tried to bait it and no go. Kept going. Somewhere around Encinitas we stop on another paddy. Fish on and we land a nice little hen. Go back and repeat only this time we find the big bull. It was an epic fight on a small hook with light line and light gear. But we got him. High fives and we got beat up the whole way back to Dana point against wind and swell.

What worked: dropping down on line and hook size. Slow trolling sardines AROUND the paddy and not on it. I can't tell you how many people I've seen pull straight up to a paddy this year. Look around and either bail or try to catch the fish they just spooked. Casting and drifting downswell or slow trolling around a paddy from at least 50 feet is the way to go. Just my $.02.

Enjoy the pics. Clearly my son and I were stoked beyond believe. I hope this helps anyone lucky enough to get on the water during the work week without as much pressure.

View attachment 855038 View attachment 855039 View attachment 855040 View attachment 855041 View attachment 855042 View attachment 855043
    Great tips and super results!

Reactions: chef gabe
    Upvote 0

fishymeister

Raunchy Ryan
    Oct 13, 2004
    HB
    Name
    Ryan
    Boat
    15' Triumph CC 'Bic Juan'
    Awesome local dodo! Thanks for the report. I was out Sunday and only hooked a yt on a paddy that got in the kelp and came unbuttoned.

Upvote 0

pacificscout

Hey! You got any frozen ice?
  • Jul 28, 2012
    Fullerton
    Name
    Wally
    Boat
    16ft Scout EMBUSTERO
    Man, jr. looks happy as shit as he should be.
    You need to miss judge fuel more often.
    I hate getting beat up north bound.
    Great job pops.

Upvote 0
    P

Paddyman1

Slow trolling sardines AROUND the paddy and not on it. I can't tell you how many people I've seen pull straight up to a paddy this year.
    Thanks for mentioning this, Gabe. I just wish all the right people would take serious notes. Bugs me more than people texting while they drive...sort of.

Upvote 0

FloMar

Hired Gun!
    Apr 28, 2004
    CA.
    Name
    John Collar
    Boat
    Parker 2320
    Great persistence, very nice Dorado indeed, nice report too!!!

Upvote 0