Big Bluefin on the Sea Adventure 80 Aug 31

Discussion in 'Southern California Offshore Fishing Reports' started by Vikingman, Sep 1, 2016.

1. dtf

dtf Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    David
    Boat:
    22ft, Pursuit
    Three turn uni is your friend, just saying.

ripped likes this.
  2. Klamath17

Klamath17 Member

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    Anything that floats
    Interesting. I've had several occasions with smaller 30#-60# class bluefin where the ringed hooks outfished regular circle hooks by about 3-1, especially with collar-hooked sardines in long soaks with current or wind. Ringed hooks seemed to allow the bait to swim more naturally. Not cinching the knot all the way down does approximate that (and also works well), but the other advantage of ringed hooks is they allow more flex during the fight without wear on the knot. Current and fish wariness probably come into play too, so what works best one day may not work best another day. These local bigger fish may wary with all the pressure they've been getting.

3. sushimi

sushimi Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Sam
    Boat:
    Edgewater 185cc
    Hmmmm. Very interesting! Thanks for sharing your experience.

Sent from my SM-N930T using Tapatalk

4. Pgnracr

Pgnracr Member

Name:
    Jeff
    Boat:
    Line up
    I personally think the ring adds more drag to your bait!! But just my opinion! Also the ring does not get the hook set all the way, it is at a angle. Again just my opinion! What do I know!! Lots of experts!! I think they are gimmicks to sell fishermen not catch fish.