tunanorth

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Dec 4, 2005
By the lake
Name
Tunanorth
Boat
Bass Tracker 16
Walt Bailey, owner of Pacific Coast Bait & Tackle in Oceanside nailed this 200-pound bluefin tuna this weekend using a Williamson Kensaki Jig.
Bailey fished aboard the Pacific Voyager out of Seaforth.
Will try to get a photo of how he rigged the jig.

Walt 200 16VISX.jpg

dsl

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Nov 20, 2017
    California
    Name
    Larry S
    Boat
    Landlover
    Walt Bailey, owner of Pacific Coast Bait & Tackle in Oceanside nailed this 200-pound bluefin tuna this weekend using a Williamson Kensaki Jig.
    Bailey fished aboard the Pacific Voyager out of Seaforth.
    Will try to get a photo of how he rigged the jig.

View attachment 1289676
    :urno1: Thanks for the jig info!

Upvote 0

tunanorth

Dec 4, 2005
    By the lake
    Name
    Tunanorth
    Boat
    Bass Tracker 16
    Still don't have a photo, but Walt related that he used a 9/0 Mustad tuna hook on the tail, and the "dual" Tady hooks [7/0?] on the nose.
    He said all three hooks were firmly in the fish.

Upvote 0

tunanorth

Dec 4, 2005
    By the lake
    Name
    Tunanorth
    Boat
    Bass Tracker 16
    Just got off the phone with Captain Mike Lackey of the Vagabond.
    On his just-returned trip, he hooked and handed a 200-pound bluefin using the 220-gr. Williamson Kensaki in "zebra glow" color.
    He had it rigged with a single Mustad 9/0 "heavy cord" single hook on the tail end.

Upvote 0

tunanorth

Dec 4, 2005
    By the lake
    Name
    Tunanorth
    Boat
    Bass Tracker 16
    280gr. Jig.

Upvote 0
    Sep 14, 2017
    San Diego
    Name
    Jp
    Boat
    Anyboat
    I'd be more interested in hearing how people are working knife jigs successfully on heavy gear. Still a drop and steady retrieve or doing something else to impart action in lieu of traditional speed jigging, etc.
    I was on the PS 3 day. Got a couple good ones by getting to the depth and pumping/winding through the depth the fish were. Like a steady pump and wind. They’d bite on the sink as well. Marking your line length seems to be pretty helpful.
    I was fishing Talica 20 will 80lb braid to a short 80lb wind on leader tied to a 200lb crimped bite leader. Fishing 300g SK jig.
    Rod was Calstar 775H.

Upvote 0

tunanorth

Dec 4, 2005
    By the lake
    Name
    Tunanorth
    Boat
    Bass Tracker 16
    A very well-known San Diego captain said his passengers have been doing exceptionally well this past week on bigger-grade bluefin with the Kensaki in the 220gr. size in the "pink/silver zebra glow" color.
    Discard the stock hooks [of course], and he has been rigging them with a 9/0 single hook on a short piece of very heavy cord, at the tail end only.

Upvote 0

Anders1

Almost A Member
    Jul 31, 2008
    Oregon
    Name
    Ron
    Boat
    16 " Duckworth
    A very well-known San Diego captain said his passengers have been doing exceptionally well this past week on bigger-grade bluefin with the Kensaki in the 220gr. size in the "pink/silver zebra glow" color.
    Discard the stock hooks [of course], and he has been rigging them with a 9/0 single hook on a short piece of very heavy cord, at the tail end only.
    Tail end only? No hooks off the head? That's interesting...

Upvote 0