darrenforeal

Say no to bad info
Jun 24, 2012
Santa Ysabel
Name
Darren
Boat
36' Uniflite/Vagabond
Nice job man. Let me know when you go again.

Upvote 0

Simon Bon Bowery

Lizard Fish Hippie
Feb 18, 2007
O'side
Name
Simon
Boat
Chris Craft 19 cc "LiL Lizard"
What hook style and size would work best? Excellent job on reading the signs to get you into fish!!

I was using a 3/0 mustad and got chewed off. Kendell was using a 4/0 circle hook.

Why??

Lizards are on a full chew and you're out fucking around with that shit??

No shit, Otto and I went calico and rock fishing today.. LOL
We did catch some lizards.:D

Nice job man. Let me know when you go again.

I'll contact you, next weekend?

I had the same luck with two breaking off and the same little yellow bird on my boat yesterday. That is weird!

Nick
That is crazy, how long were you guys on your fish?

Upvote 0

NGSD1

Dreamer
Jun 6, 2012
Tempe San Diego
Name
Nick
Boat
35 Cabo Express
I was using a 3/0 mustad and got chewed off. Kendell was using a 4/0 circle hook.

No shit, Otto and I went calico and rock fishing today.. LOL
We did catch some lizards.:D

I'll contact you, next weekend?

Nick
That is crazy, how long were you guys on your fish?

We saw and metered fish all day. Both broke off quickly so at least not heart breakers after a long battle.

Upvote 0

Aggro

Keepin my pimp hand strong!
  • Mar 4, 2005
    Clairemont
    Name
    AGGRO
    Boat
    skiff
    Those lil tweeters like fish! We tried to give em chips and other crap and they found bait on the boat and snap it up. The closest I can get is a yellow warbler.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

Steward Daye

Oct 25, 2014
    Name
    Hotel California
    Boat
    Robalo
    Found the fish 10 miles west of the 209. Spotted truns dipping and started brailing bait. Tuna charged boat, massave boils all around the boat. I got bit on the 40 pound, dumped it 10 minuts lator. Rebait and get bit instantly got, short story almost 2 hours lator get chewed off 30 feet from boat.

This is where we were, note lil yellow bird.View attachment 594446

Went looking again, spotted a singal turn working, bunch of bait goes overboard, game on, boils everywhere. My buddy Kendall gets bit on a mack using 60lb. 40 times around the boat and 2 hours lator, fish is as close as 20 down. And pow. Fuck!

Here are some action shots..

View attachment 594448 View attachment 594448

Rail Rod? No we call this doing the Yamaha.
    View attachment 594449

color

View attachment 594450

Big Big fish, the three we hooked were all well over a hundred pounds.. We were under gunned..

Next time
    here are the coordinates.
    View attachment 594447
    Wow Cannot wait to go on Wednesday.

Upvote 0

czyfish

Oct 14, 2004
    San Marcos
    Name
    kendall
    Boat
    Davis Cortez / Gus's Pride
    Hey guys, Kendall here.
    Just wanted to chime in on what a great experience Simon and I had. To be able to find fish of this caliber just 30 miles off Oceanside is such an awesome experience. I have done a couple of long range trips up to 16 days in length and to find this experience at just a little jaunt out of the harbor is simply a wonder in itself. Simon did not see it but I actually witnessed a 150 lb or so bluefin completely out of the water during the 1st stop when he got bit. We did a lot of driving Simon on the bow following his fish, even were on a collision course diagonally with an oncoming tanker, we paused the tanker veered right and actually worked with us it also veering the opposite way. It was so cool they did that, I believe someone was watching with binoculars. Then were able to continue forward. After that some yay hoo in a 35 footer or so was going to cut us off in front, Simon yelled I got to the side of the boat waving frantically and they got the hint and veered off. Unfortunatly, Bluefin have teeth.

I also want to chime in on some comments in here. All of my two speed reels were rigged up for trolling because of the news from the day before of two troll fish caught. It would have been great to have hooked up that last fish on one of them, unfortunately we didn't have a bait hook on it when we were suddenly on fish. Oh shit well, still got the old Pro Gear with a modified Kens Custom reel drag in it. Tell ya it did the job fine..... until... the fish was just 50 feet from the boat. Don't advise fishing these beasts with a single speed ever after this experience. Spent an hour gaining one inch of line then giving it back. Going from my experience on catching larger yellowfin I simply did what was natural to not have a 4 hour long fight and buttoned down the drag. Simon and I were both pretty much done for the day before this fish even was hooked up. 2 hours at this point, no way am I going to put up with this thing taking 100 yards or more of line out again. Well

IMG_0692.jpg

IMG_0692.jpg

IMG_0692.jpg

IMG_0692.jpg

IMG_0692.jpg

IMG_0692.jpg

Upvote 0

Tunahead

Long Time Tuna Abused Member
  • Aug 11, 2006
    Costa Mesa
    Name
    Ron
    Boat
    several
    Cool report Simon....those POWS hurt always too Kendall! LOL
    Way to get out and give it a go. I'm still on the mend.

I remember on a 6 day on BG90 at Benitos we got got up in am and must have been a gazillion of those little yellow birds everywhere, down the aft bunk stairs, tackle shelfs, bait tank, everywhere. We went out to fish the Ranger bank, had a yellowfin on and one just lands on my rod cleaning the dine scales up and down, never touched the line. Too cool for words. LOL

Upvote 0

czyfish

Oct 14, 2004
    San Marcos
    Name
    kendall
    Boat
    Davis Cortez / Gus's Pride
    Shit, okay 1st time uploading photo's, can ya tell ? This is what happens to this brand of flourocarbon, notice how it basically explodes and separates when it finally gives. This is the line off my reel after it broke off. I will be switching to Blackwater from now on for these beasts around here .

Anyways guys , a hell of a season awaits us. Congrats to the guys from Dana point today.
    Kendall

Upvote 0

Carl

Bridesmaid,,,,,,,Again
  • Nov 29, 2004
    San Diego
    Name
    Carl
    Boat
    everyone elses
    They don't just break your line. They break your heart.

Since you brought it up. What brand of fluoro are you switching from?

Upvote 0