Big Bear Late Report - Flylining Chovy for Big Rainbows

HighWildFree

Feb 16, 2018
OC
Name
Erik
Boat
Spaghetti Madness
Late report from last weekend. Fished Friday through Sunday with limited action for four guys. Ended up with 13 quality rainbows between us. Trick was long leaders, garlic scented rainbow and a long long cast.

But I did encounter something I never have before. I am unhooking a fish, and half way out of its mouth is a freaking.....Anchovy!!!! It wasn't fresh but looked like the ones you get frozen in a bag. Guessing someone was trying for catfish. But it got me thinking of some new baits to try next time. Reminds me of years ago in the same spot I was trying for crawdads and had a trap loaded with bacon. Next morning the bacon was gone, while cleaning a trout I caught a few hours later, low and behold.... it is full of whole strips of bacon. Ended up rubbing bacon grease on my baits for the rest of the trip with moderate success.

Fun Trip with little action, and a cool story bra.

stairman

May 16, 2009
ramona /ca/usa
Name
doug
Boat
yak and lowe duck hunting skiff but they identify as sportfishing crusiers
Many moons ago..mid 70s ..at lake Henshaw I had a hell of an afternoon catching stocker trout on small strip of fresh mackeral.

And another time belly strips from other trout at a lake I won't mention ...it may have been illegal ...but it worked after I ran out of nightcrawlers

Upvote 0

fishdog43

Mar 3, 2021
OC
Name
Eric Metz
Boat
none
Well, you just never know I guess. I've often wondered who was the first person to try Valvetta cheese for trout bait. When I was a kid it was the go-to bait for trout. Now I wonder if anybody uses it anymore.

Reactions: HighWildFree
Upvote 0

GaffnLaff

Rum is Tackle
Dec 3, 2003
Bay Park
Visit site
Name
Dave Cairncross
Boat
Currently looking for a new Ho'ing opportunity
I caught a 3# bow full of shad at BBL

Upvote 0

okgene

Feb 1, 2018
Los Angeles, CA
Name
Gene
Boat
14' Mirrocraft
I miss fishing Big Bear Lake. I have a lot of great memories fishing all day and night from shore with my friends. Last time I went my spot was dried out. So sad how low that lake has gotten over the years. Hopefully the lake makes a come back soon.

Upvote 0

Tunahead

Long Time Tuna Abused Member
  • Aug 11, 2006
    Costa Mesa
    Name
    Ron
    Boat
    several
    Trout eating a chovie a new one to me too.....Reaction bite?
    Like striped bass attack Anchovies and Shad alike. What next? LOL

Upvote 0