DOGHOUSE26

I Should Upgrade My Account
Feb 22, 2004
Escondido, CA
Name
jeff meeker
Boat
26 Blackman Billfisher
Fished the Minimum Tides Thursday night for 4 legals and 22 shorts; weather was perfect until 11 when a stiff wind out of the south brought the cold with it and made snotty conditions while picking up our hoops at the end of the night. Never caught so many Spiders in one night, had one hoop with a family of 4 and several singles in each set. Dinner was the highlight of the evening with my brother's home made egg salad sandwiches and raspberry filled sugar cookies for desert. Probably saw 3 times the amount of Hoopsters than for a normal weeknight after Thanksgiving. This was our 3rd trip with the Ace Line Hauler Bulldog Attachment which was the bomb on the first 2 trips but halfway through the evening a few of our hoop ropes began to slip on the reel unless I put more tension on the lever; we removed the rubber O-Ring but that really didn't make too much of a difference. Anybody have a fix for this?

Upvote 0

sdjfish

Deck Ape
  • Mar 26, 2003
    escondido
    Visit site
    Name
    steve
    Boat
    2320 Parker, Tracker
    Fished the Minimum Tides Thursday night for 4 legals and 22 shorts; weather was perfect until 11 when a stiff wind out of the south brought the cold with it and made snotty conditions while picking up our hoops at the end of the night. Never caught so many Spiders in one night, had one hoop with a family of 4 and several singles in each set. Dinner was the highlight of the evening with my brother's home made egg salad sandwiches and raspberry filled sugar cookies for desert. Probably saw 3 times the amount of Hoopsters than for a normal weeknight after Thanksgiving. This was our 3rd trip with the Ace Line Hauler Bulldog Attachment which was the bomb on the first 2 trips but halfway through the evening a few of our hoop ropes began to slip on the reel unless I put more tension on the lever; we removed the rubber O-Ring but that really didn't make too much of a difference. Anybody have a fix for this?

Not yet, we just put more pressure on the lever. I think we will try different rope.

Upvote 0

DOGHOUSE26

Feb 22, 2004
    Escondido, CA
    Name
    jeff meeker
    Boat
    26 Blackman Billfisher
    Not yet, we just put more pressure on the lever. I think we will try different rope.
    Are you using the Rubber O-Ring or did you leave it off? We're using 3/8' poly rope from 2-3 manufacturers and it seems the ropes that will flatten out work better than the High Stranded more round and solid ropes.

Upvote 0

tunakillerjoe1

• Jul 24, 2017
    San Diego, Calif
    Name
    Joseph Gratteau
    Boat
    Valco Westcoaster 150'
    Thanks for the report, it is pouring rain right now, should be good for the redistrobution!

Upvote 0

mhanson59hb

Fear No Fish
  • Apr 22, 2013
    Huntington Beach
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    2008 Trophy 1802 "Mako My Day"
    3/8 solid braid (not poly) with O-ring and spacers has never slipped for me. I routinely pull from 100 ft.

Maybe you just have more weight (bugs/crabs) in each hoop than I do! :D

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

Secutor54

May 11, 2017
    San Diego
    Name
    AP
    Boat
    73 Boston Whaler 16'7
    Kind of new to hooping on my boat. I just have a quick question, do you guys add weight to your hoops when dropping them in deeper water?

I noticed last year, that the crawl, as well as the selection of legal sized bugs changed, later into the season.

Do the bugs transition to deeper water later in the season, or is it more to do with less quantity of legals because those areas have already been “picked through”?

Thanks for the report.

Upvote 0

sdjfish

Deck Ape
  • Mar 26, 2003
    escondido
    Visit site
    Name
    steve
    Boat
    2320 Parker, Tracker
    Are you using the Rubber O-Ring or did you leave it off? We're using 3/8' poly rope from 2-3 manufacturers and it seems the ropes that will flatten out work better than the High Stranded more round and solid ropes.

I emailed the manufacture and followed their instructions but under a load the rope still slips. I'll try some different types of rope but may remove the hands free and go back to the double roller and pull the rope by hand.

Upvote 0

DOGHOUSE26

Feb 22, 2004
    Escondido, CA
    Name
    jeff meeker
    Boat
    26 Blackman Billfisher
    Kind of new to hooping on my boat. I just have a quick question, do you guys add weight to your hoops when dropping them in deeper water?

I noticed last year, that the crawl, as well as the selection of legal sized bugs changed, later into the season.

Do the bugs transition to deeper water later in the season, or is it more to do with less quantity of legals because those areas have already been “picked through”?

Thanks for the report.
    8 of my hoops are Promar XL Heavy so I don't add weight to them; the other 2 are regular Promar Hoops and I add approximately 3-4 pounds of lead weight tied to the bottom ring. As the season rolls on, the swallow areas get picked clean from all the hoops and commercial traps; you will see a few commercial traps between 100-150' of depth so your chances at a legal are much better late in the season.

Reactions: Secutor54
    Upvote 0