DOGHOUSE26

I Should Upgrade My Account
Feb 22, 2004
Escondido, CA
Name
jeff meeker
Boat
26 Blackman Billfisher
Picked up an Ace Line Hauler for Xmas and even though it was a Full Moon Night and a decent tide swing I talked my brother into giving it a go even though it usually sucks when we fish those conditions. Weather was beautiful all night just colder than usual; our first set just after the tide change was exciting we had bugs in every hoop and a few had 3-4 but we only ended up with a couple of legals. As the tide went full swing the bugs stopped crawling we had some sets with nothing and others with a couple of shorts and around 11 the slack came and the bugs started crawling again and they were bigger. We had sets with 2 and 3 legals and our last pull @ 1AM yielded our largest bug maybe 4" on the measurement and it gave us a total of 10 for the night with maybe 25-30 shorts. The Line Hauler is amazing it really works well even though we're only fishing 35-50'; I hope it will save these old shoulders of mine. I have to adjust its location farther inside the boat; I mounted it as far out on the gunnel as I could to let the hoop clear the side on the skiff, but I never pulled it that far up with the machine I just pulled the rope off the yardarm and brought the hoop inside the boat. Its too far a reach to get it on/off the yardarm pulley so I'll bring it in 6" and see if it makes it easier to operate. We got lucky twice during the heavy current time finding 2 of our 1 gallon light jugs just inches from going completely under and losing the hoop. Several of our hoops just on the edge of the deep channel picked up kelp and were slowly dragged picking up rocks and sand dollars; if you are experiencing this the current is probably too strong and the bugs generally hunker down and wait until the current slows and they will crawl again. We moved 5 of the hoops into shallower water off the channel edge and were rewarded with some nicer bugs. Every trip is a learning or re-learning experience.

Upvote 0

Jig Stick

GO AZTECS!
Apr 21, 2008
La Costa
Name
Ken
Boat
Grady 28 Sailfish
Picked up an Ace Line Hauler for Xmas and even though it was a Full Moon Night and a decent tide swing I talked my brother into giving it a go even though it usually sucks when we fish those conditions. Weather was beautiful all night just colder than usual; our first set just after the tide change was exciting we had bugs in every hoop and a few had 3-4 but we only ended up with a couple of legals. As the tide went full swing the bugs stopped crawling we had some sets with nothing and others with a couple of shorts and around 11 the slack came and the bugs started crawling again and they were bigger. We had sets with 2 and 3 legals and our last pull @ 1AM yielded our largest bug maybe 4" on the measurement and it gave us a total of 10 for the night with maybe 25-30 shorts. The Line Hauler is amazing it really works well even though we're only fishing 35-50'; I hope it will save these old shoulders of mine. I have to adjust its location farther inside the boat; I mounted it as far out on the gunnel as I could to let the hoop clear the side on the skiff, but I never pulled it that far up with the machine I just pulled the rope off the yardarm and brought the hoop inside the boat. Its too far a reach to get it on/off the yardarm pulley so I'll bring it in 6" and see if it makes it easier to operate. We got lucky twice during the heavy current time finding 2 of our 1 gallon light jugs just inches from going completely under and losing the hoop. Several of our hoops just on the edge of the deep channel picked up kelp and were slowly dragged picking up rocks and sand dollars; if you are experiencing this the current is probably too strong and the bugs generally hunker down and wait until the current slows and they will crawl again. We moved 5 of the hoops into shallower water off the channel edge and were rewarded with some nicer bugs. Every trip is a learning or re-learning experience.
Great info. Thanks for sharing

Upvote 0

Tranquility

Tranquility
Mar 13, 2004
Calif
Name
Bryan
Boat
Century 3200WA
We hooped The bay on 12/30 and for the first time we were completely annihilated by the sea lions. Our first two sets, they were able to open our seal proof pvc bait cages. We moved a ways and they got us on the next set as well. Ran out of bait and called it a night. Very frustrating. I’ve never seen them get these bait cans open like they did.

The night before we got close to limits. Same area.

Upvote 0
Jul 24, 2017
San Diego, Calif
Name
Joseph Gratteau
Boat
Valco Westcoaster 150'
Sorry to hear about the dogs invading, I assume the bait cages were white, push on lids? A wrist rocket would he a help. Thanks to both of you for the reports!

Upvote 0

mhanson59hb

Fear No Fish
  • Apr 22, 2013
    Huntington Beach
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    2008 Trophy 1802 "Mako My Day"
    Half were threaded lids that they still got off.

Might have to start using anchor wire on those lids.

Friggin' floating flea farmers...

FleaBag.jpeg

Reactions: Tranquility
    Upvote 0

DOGHOUSE26

Feb 22, 2004
    Escondido, CA
    Name
    jeff meeker
    Boat
    26 Blackman Billfisher
    With the new hauler, did you add weight to your nets? Is it worth the investment?

We're using 8 - Promar 36" XL Heavy Hoops and 2-36" Promar regular hoops that I have added 3-4 pounds of lead inside the hoop. In the Bay we're hooping in 25-50' and in reality it's a wash if we're only pulling 5 sets as I really notice pain in my shoulders after 7 sets the next morning. I really got it to try some deeper spots (100-200') off Pt Loma and La Jolla early in the season like they do at Catalina. My right shoulder was a little tender after the first trip as I had to reach pretty far outside the boat to get the rope off the yardarm pulley and then lift the hoop into the skiff and now I've moved the winch 6" inside the gunnel and I'll see if this helps next trip. And since it was a Xmas gift, it's a hell of a lot better than sweaters and gay socks!

Reactions: sdjfish and stuman
    Upvote 0

Ali

Master of Nothing
    Admin
    Apr 24, 2003
    San Diego
    Name
    That Guy
    Boat
    SeaVee 340Z
    We hooped The bay on 12/30 and for the first time we were completely annihilated by the sea lions. Our first two sets, they were able to open our seal proof pvc bait cages. We moved a ways and they got us on the next set as well. Ran out of bait and called it a night. Very frustrating. I’ve never seen them get these bait cans open like they did.

The night before we got close to limits. Same area.

I've been using these for years. Just drill a few more holes in them and stuff. Zip tie a long line clip to them and clip to the net. Never had a seal touch them and they leave pretty quick after they figure out there's no free meal.

Last edited:
    Reactions: Tranquility
    Upvote 0

DOGHOUSE26

Feb 22, 2004
    Escondido, CA
    Name
    jeff meeker
    Boat
    26 Blackman Billfisher
    Nice trip! Any pics of your line hauler setup?

Here you go:

ACE LINE HAULER.jpg

ACE LINE HAULER 2.jpg

ACE LINE HAULER 3.jpg

I made the Temporary Wood Setup to see how the winch would work and then decide the best position to mount it. I originally mounted it up against the railing to get it out as far as I could but after our first trial I've decided its a little to far out to reach the yardarm pulley and release the hoop line in order to get the hoop in the skiff. I moved it inside 6" and we'll see how it goes on our next trip this week. I like the height of the mount and once I make the final call on the location, I'll have my welder make up an all aluminum mount with a base plate and post with a channel rail resting on the gunnel for extra support. It will be reversible so I can mount it on the starboard side of the skiff so the reel and pulleys are facing the driver and I can use it when going solo.

Reactions: mhanson59hb
    Upvote 0

mhanson59hb

Fear No Fish
  • Apr 22, 2013
    Huntington Beach
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    I made the Temporary Wood Setup to see how the winch would work and then decide the best position to mount it. I originally mounted it up against the railing to get it out as far as I could but after our first trial I've decided its a little to far out to reach the yardarm pulley and release the hoop line in order to get the hoop in the skiff. I moved it inside 6" and we'll see how it goes on our next trip this week. I like the height of the mount and once I make the final call on the location, I'll have my welder make up an all aluminum mount with a base plate and post with a channel rail resting on the gunnel for extra support. It will be reversible so I can mount it on the starboard side of the skiff so the reel and pulleys are facing the driver and I can use it when going solo.

Nice! I have the same puller but it's called an Ace Line Hauler Brutus Max. Go figure.

Here's my setup:

DSCN1772.JPG

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

DOGHOUSE26

Feb 22, 2004
    Escondido, CA
    Name
    jeff meeker
    Boat
    26 Blackman Billfisher
    Nice! I have the same puller but it's called and Ace Liner Hauler Brutus Max. Go figure.

Here's my setup:

View attachment 1240018
    The Brutus Max Option has the line clamp added which allows the line to be retrieved and coiled without have to pull on the line. You just drop the stainless lever in your pic and its all automatic. I think its a $70-80 accessory I'm not sure I need it just yet. Is yours on a swivel mount?

Upvote 0

mhanson59hb

Fear No Fish
  • Apr 22, 2013
    Huntington Beach
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    The Brutus Max Option has the line clamp added which allows the line to be retrieved and coiled without have to pull on the line. You just drop the stainless lever in your pic and its all automatic. I think its a $70-80 accessory I'm not sure I need it just yet. Is yours on a swivel mount?

Is the Pacific Pro a newer model? The line clamp is called the "Bull Dog" and works really well. I'm glad I bought it. I also have the storage bag, got it all in a package deal from Costco for the same price as just the hauler itself.

I don't have it on a swivel mount, I just keep it in the cabin until we're ready to drop.

Good luck!

Upvote 0

DOGHOUSE26

Feb 22, 2004
    Escondido, CA
    Name
    jeff meeker
    Boat
    26 Blackman Billfisher
    Costco you're kidding me! I had to search to find one in stock; got this one for $550 which was $50 less than Amazon; from Johns Sporting Goods in Washington and no tax free shipping. Once I decide exactly where it will go, I'll run my power cables under the gunnel and seats and mount the socket in the front of the CC. Mine will fold back and fit under the boat cover for storage. I know its a lot of money but my brother and I hoop often and this will extend our ability to go as neither one of us are spring chickens in fact I think my 72 year old driver will be able to spell me from pulling duties more often. And with the commercials currently getting over $40/pound for bugs I'm keeping my wife in lobster without having to refinance the house. Win-Win

Reactions: sdjfish
    Upvote 0

mullet

Metal Fabricator
    Jan 10, 2006
    Brookings Oregon
    Name
    mike
    Boat
    19"Gregor
    If your going to solo the bulldog option is a must . On those days the weather turns to shit the hauler can be pulling while your keeping the bow into the weather.

Upvote 0

DOGHOUSE26

Feb 22, 2004
    Escondido, CA
    Name
    jeff meeker
    Boat
    26 Blackman Billfisher
    If your going to solo the bulldog option is a must . On those days the weather turns to shit the hauler can be pulling while your keeping the bow into the weather.
    F That! I pick my days carefully. But I just ordered one, Thanks!

Upvote 0

Carl

Bridesmaid,,,,,,,Again
  • Nov 29, 2004
    San Diego
    Name
    Carl
    Boat
    everyone elses
    Hooping lobster blah blahblah. And since it was a Xmas gift, it's a hell of a lot better than sweaters and gay socks!
    Billy wants your sweaters and socks

Upvote 0

Jay1

Jul 1, 2015
    Name
    Julian
    Boat
    Boat hoe
    The sea dogs already figured the threaded pvc cages out already, I returned mine on the fact that they didn’t stop them from getting in. I use the roach coaches they are the best by far even in my short time of using them. Easy to open and fill, takes up minimal space in the cage and lays flat in the bottom

Upvote 0