BHP Tackle

Discussion in 'San Diego Long Range fishing Reports' started by Soda Pop, Mar 16, 2013.

1. waterman482

waterman482 Newbie

Name:
    Adam Sherer
    I cant thank Basil enough for his service and advice over the years. Everyone knows him in the Long range circle yet he has done alot of other progressive things with wind-ons such as one of the first to make a proper casting wind-on for topwater tuna fishing. Over the past 5 yrs i have used BHP wind-ons exclusively on all my tuna gear and have had great success.

2. JohnTFT

JohnTFT Insomniac

Name:
    John
    Boat:
    A big Steel One
    I want to thank BHP for a really good Italian restaurant he picked out for the guys from the Excel and me Saturday night in New Jersey.

It just goes to prove that the man knows Spectra, topshots and food as well!

3. ifish42na

ifish42na No Bad Days

Name:
    Basil
    Boat:
    Friends With Boats
    Thank you waterman482 and JohnTFT!

4. screamingreel

screamingreel Long Range Fanatic

Name:
    Jeff Burroughs
    Boat:
    Long Range and Private
    Been using BHP top shots about ten years. Not one has ever failed me from 30 lbs to 200 lbs! I strongly recommend Basil to anyone for any product or service. Great advice too...

Thanks, Basil!

- Jeff Burroughs

5. Rodless_Jim

Rodless_Jim I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Jim
    Boat:
    Strictly a Rider
    I didn't know that the Italian Restaurants in Jersey would even serve hobbits...

6. JohnTFT

JohnTFT Insomniac

Name:
    John
    Boat:
    A big Steel One
    Jim,

If you have money they will serve everyone including bilbo saggins.

7. Rodless_Jim

Rodless_Jim I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Jim
    Boat:
    Strictly a Rider
    Hey, for anyone who doesn't know John, you really should. He's great company on the rail, a superior angler with a great attitude. I had the pleasure of fishing with him on the Team 'Hoo Cow Hunt in January of 2012. John was a total blast, whether you want to talk fishing or good cigars. He was even fishing with a really bad back, but you never would have known it. The smile never left his face. As far as I'm concerned he's a good guy, even if he really does (I swear to God!) look like a New York version of a hobbit.

More importantly, John owns Trophy Tackle in West Babylon, New York. If you're in the market for any gear, send him a PM. He's just about as knowledgeable as his good friend Basil, and he will take excellent care of you. He's got a great selection, and pretty much anything he doesn't have, he'll get for you.

How do I know? I just bought four Makairas from him, spooled and ready to go. I'm telling you guys, you could definitely do worse.

8. Ahh 4 reels!

Ahh 4 reels! Newbie

Name:
    E
    Boat:
    none
    JohnTFT....My ninja...Full of knowledge and always willing to help....See you in January homie......."W"

9. fuj

fuj Member

Name:
    Mark
    Boat:
    nope
    I put 750 yards of Izor 130# hollow on my Mak 50. I think you can squeeze a little more on if you want to fill it to the top.

ObBasilProp (for those who remember Usenet):
    Bought wind-ons and JB from Basil and had a couple of email discussions with him back in the day about leader-making and glue (which he has long forgotten about, I'm sure.) Always willing to share knowledge, even if that meant losing some wind-on sales to another DIY leader-maker like me. Thanks, bud!

10. sandslingerxxx

sandslingerxxx Newbie

Name:
    Sam
    Boat:
    N/A
    We've been using the new West Coast Marketing line winder, it's got a built in drag system and a stronger motor than previous models, that thing works great. I loaded a bunch of Mark's reels a couple months ago and it seems we were able to get more line on most his reels. Some a little, some some more. You should be able to get 750 yards of 130-135 Hollow a Mak 50 or Avet 50 SDS.