BFT & YFT & GAS LEAK & BILGE OUT & STILL FUN!

jscrib

Whale Cock
Apr 29, 2004
Santa Monica
Name
j
Boat
VS
Got a call from Vince on Wednesday morning. His big boat was in the shop in Long Beach and was now ready. Finally, the "Red Drum Boys" could get out and chase these tuna! :hali_olutta:

Left Queen Mary launch ramp at 7p. Picked up sardines at the bait barge and decided at 730p to cross over to Catalina for the night.

By then we had noticed the gas smell. Hoping it was just an overfill we motored on. Getting dark and windy about 10 miles from the island but held true and made it to the East End safe.

Time to check out the boat. Turns out a gasket on the tank was corroded. So gas in the bilge but not too bad. We would still fish.

Turn on bilge...nothing. After several tries and inspections by Vinnie, the bilge was indeed out. Vince was able to get most of the gas and water out of the bilge with the help of 100 scoops of Mr. Red Solo Cup.

Getting late we decided to call it a night under the Catalina stars and figure out what to do in the morning.

Waking up and looking back at the mainland.

No more water or gas in the bilge so we headed south about 10 miles and set up shop. Three troll rigs. Beautiful blue, purple water.

We stayed outside the main mass of boats and by 930a we get our first jig strike.

I grab the rod and bring in a nice YFT that came in hot and decided to make a few wahoo runs around the boat. Vince had one on as well but the line broke. Had to be a weak spot somewhere.

Yes! No skunk.

As Vince is retying I toss out a dine. Not the hardiest of baits and after a minute I assumed the fish sunk out anyway. Set the rod in the rod holder and helped clean up the deck.

Then I noticed my line twitching. Did my rudolph wake up or did something see him? Grab the rod and put it in the freespool.

Bait makes a few spirited runs and I get picked up. 3 count and Hook Up!

Nice strong fish turns out to be a sweet BFT!

Yes! Two Two-na!

After that we trolled til 11a and had to work our way back. Heard lots of mixed reports on the radio. From lots of empty paddies to WFO paddies. To a couple fish on the troll to WFO jig strike and bait fish tuna.

No time to look for paddies and load up on more fish but happy we got some.

Token ice cold ready to clean tune-na picture!

I say this every time but I cannot thank Vince enough for all he has done for me over the last 10 years. From inshore to offshore and island epicness! Almost all my PB ocean fish are with him. That says it all right there.

Thanks for another exciting time on the ocean!

j

GETSUM

Well-Known "Member"
Feb 22, 2007
Name
ERIC G.
Boat
22' ROBALO CC "ON ONE"
NICE TUNA SCRIBS. VINCE IS ALWAYS ON THE FISH.

26grumpy

who hooked who
Sep 24, 2006
Anaheim Hills
Name
Joe
Boat
Freefrom Boats Club
Nice one guys. A perfect report and pics!!!

MikeeDaGuy

Fishin FIN-Attict
May 21, 2006
Frazier Park
Name
Mikee
Boat
12' Klamath Aluminium, 14' Valco
Well there ya go. . . thats how ya do it! Nice work, Great report and pics!

FloMar

Hired Gun!
Apr 28, 2004
CA.
Name
John Collar
Boat
Parker 2320
Be glad the bilge did not work . . Kaboom!

Nice perseverance!

steelhead88

Marriage is not a word; it is a sentence!
Aug 18, 2008
Ventura
Name
Scott
Boat
GRAYLIGHT- Custom 23' Aluminum Pilothouse
Now that's a bloodydeck, great work and solid effort!

Scott

artafishall

Decorate a seal today!
Jun 16, 2004
Mattersville
Name
Ryan
Boat
20' Shamrock "Irish Jig"
Nice! I hope to put some of those in the box tomorrow.

Tunaslam

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Apr 25, 2003
Diamond Bar, Ca 91765
Name
Cory Visser
Boat
N/A
Way to go guys, besides sashimi, I'm sure Vince has some exotic recipes to prepare that Tuna for the dinner plate!