rustman

Aug 4, 2005
Irvine, Ca
Name
Rusty
Boat
1986 Cabo 216 Cuddy-Con
If you need pictures, stop reading now.

Fished a 1.5 day boat out of Seaforth. Weather was up but still doable. 8 BFT 40 to 60 lbs about 15 YT 10 to 15 lbs. All YT were fly lined baits, BFT were sinker rig or flat fall 250 gram glow/silver except 1 (mine) caught on a long soak Dean.

Fish were very skittish and we had to work hard for these on sonar marks only. There were no breezing or breaking fish and it would have been difficult to see anyway due to the wind and swell. Good new is the fish are in US waters, but scattered over a large area so do your homework or jump on a good boat.

Fun times, first trip this season, cool peeps.

Last edited:

MattFred1414

• Jan 3, 2020
    San Diego
    Name
    Matt
    Boat
    20ft Skeeter Zx20Bay
    Glad to see you got some bigger yellows than what some boats are getting. Time to find some paddies soon. Did you guys see a bunch of paddies? On my 1.5 days there were a ton of paddies but they were only holding rat sized yellows.

Reactions: Tuna Dreamer
    Upvote 0

rustman

Aug 4, 2005
    Irvine, Ca
    Name
    Rusty
    Boat
    1986 Cabo 216 Cuddy-Con
    Glad to see you got some bigger yellows than what some boats are getting. Time to find some paddies soon. Did you guys see a bunch of paddies? On my 1.5 days there were a ton of paddies but they were only holding rat sized yellows.
    The paddies we got our YT were barely stringers. If I were on my own skiff, I would not have even stopped. Our fish were actually much better grade than what the full day boat has been getting, so I was stoked to get a couple of those as well.

Upvote 0

MattFred1414

• Jan 3, 2020
    San Diego
    Name
    Matt
    Boat
    20ft Skeeter Zx20Bay
    The paddies we got our YT were barely stringers. If I were on my own skiff, I would not have even stopped. Our fish were actually much better grade than what the full day boat has been getting, so I was stoked to get a couple of those as well.
    We saw a lot of nice sized paddies I would have stopped on. They’re probably still a little far out for my rig but they’ll be here soon

Upvote 0

rustman

Aug 4, 2005
    Irvine, Ca
    Name
    Rusty
    Boat
    1986 Cabo 216 Cuddy-Con
    You should have taken the Cabo!
    I would not have wanted to be out on a 25 footer no less a 21 footer. When we got back to the dock, I seen 5 people come off the boat I did not see the entire 1.5 days. I guess they stayed in their bunks the whole time just hating life.

Can't say I never been sea sick, but it does take quite a bit more these days.

Upvote 0

rustman

Aug 4, 2005
    Irvine, Ca
    Name
    Rusty
    Boat
    1986 Cabo 216 Cuddy-Con
    Any idea where you were based on direction if island visibility?
    I know exactly where we were and will probably take some flack for this. Since this is a new area of fish that was located by professional captains who depend on sport fishing to support their families and its not even on Fishdope yet, I will reserve that info. I can say, don't go east though and study the recent charts, it's all there plane as day.

Good luck and tight lines.

Kingfisher

Kingfisher
    Oct 11, 2004
    SD
    Name
    scott
    Boat
    Pursuit 3800
    I know exactly where we were and will probably take some flack for this. Since this is a new area of fish that was located by professional captains who depend on sport fishing to support their families and its not even on Fishdope yet, I will reserve that info. I can say, don't go east though and study the recent charts, it's all there plane as day.

Good luck and tight lines.
    Understood, I’ve studied the charts and the fish have been moving quite a bit. Headed out tomorrow to give it a go

Reactions: Fishin_Freeman
    Upvote 0

Tunahead

Long Time Tuna Abused Member
  • Aug 11, 2006
    Costa Mesa
    Name
    Ron
    Boat
    several
    Great report and info, glad you got fish. Solid work! LOL
    But HEY, the gang wants PICS here??????

BEEF.jpg

Upvote 0

rustman

Aug 4, 2005
    Irvine, Ca
    Name
    Rusty
    Boat
    1986 Cabo 216 Cuddy-Con
    Great report and info, glad you got fish. Solid work! LOL
    But HEY, the gang wants PICS here??????

View attachment 1275701
    Yea sorry about no pics. It was a very tough day fishing and I made the best of it by staying at the rail the entire day. My fish didn't come until 4 PM and at that point I was hoping I wasn't going to get blanked for the day and didn't even consider going to my bunk to get my phone for another pic of a school size BF. I look like shit in pictures anyway, 😆

Upvote 0