PENN

Highwayman

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Jun 25, 2015
    Name
    Sammy
    Boat
    Party Boats and Skiff
    I joined two friends yesterday to try our luck with the local BFT. We had booked a day trip on the Bight‘s 28’ Parker. Dylan was the skipper. We had fished with him one time last year as well. We met at 7 am. ( the trip was scheduled for 7 to 7) at the Fisherman’s Landing area. We loaded up our gear, stopped at the bait receiver for two scoops of bait and off we went.
    We motored out past the Coronados to where we saw our first boils. It looked like bonitos so we moved on. We motored out for another 15 minutes or so when we saw our first boil of large BFT. We eased in throwing jigs and soaking baits but they sunk out and were gone. Unfortunately this would be the same scenario all day. I was really surprised to see all the long range boats in this area not just the usual Overnight and Day and a half vessels. It was really busy out there.
    We motored a little farther out and Dylan put out the kite. He used the latest version of the yummy flyer and occasionally a flying fish. The lack of breeze made this a chore but he managed it well enough. We only had the fish boil on the offering one time ( a dead flyer ). They boiled all around it and bumped it a couple times and then sunk out. We soaked baits, sinker rigs flat falls and even the popper but no luck. It was one of those days. Dylan worked hard and stayed a little late. We rolled by a kelp with rat yellow tail at the end of the day and grabbed a couple then headed for the barn ( we ended up about 50 miles away from the dock ). Though we were hoping for a better outcome I shook of the rust from the winter and booked another trip in two weeks. Here’s to “Better Luck Next Time”.

Last edited:

pacificscout

Hey! You got any frozen ice?
  • Jul 28, 2012
    Fullerton
    Name
    Wally
    Boat
    16ft Scout EMBUSTERO
    You plan and you go if weather permits.
    Can be the greatest trip ever. Or another hunt and adventure. I find peace and happiness in both.
    Nah!! It's better when you kill em'!!!
    Two weeks will feel like Forever....

Thanks for this and the upcoming update. 👍 👍 👍

Reactions: Dbado1
    Upvote 0

Highwayman

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Jun 25, 2015
    Name
    Sammy
    Boat
    Party Boats and Skiff
    Sounds like a successful tuna watching trip. Second the toast to better luck next time.

ACAB6433-EAD7-425C-979E-9375AFEE836F.jpeg

Reactions: whosmatt
    Upvote 0